• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear - act fast!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
A while ago there was a discussion of J. Peterman on this thread. Thought this tidbit from an interview with Steve Zahn was interesting:

Your father-in-law is J. Peterman of J. Peterman. Is that pretty much all you wear now?

Yeah. I'm growing into the J. Peterman stuff, but I have everything. There are closets in this house they're filled with coats that have never been worn and still have the paper over the buttons. When I was a lot younger, I was like, "I don't know if I'm going to wear this." Every Christmas was insane, getting J. Peterman stuff. And now I'm finding, "Oh yeah, no, I'll wear this."

The character Zahn played in Treme is based on a friend of mine. How weird would it be to watch a fictionalized version of yourself?!?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The character Zahn played in Treme is based on a friend of mine. How weird would it be to watch a fictionalized version of yourself?!?

OK,
1) super cool you know that person, I loved that character in Treme (also, just, such a cool radio station, I stream it a lot)

2) if my life were ever dramatized/fictionalized, I would be honored if I were played by Zahn.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos of today's post on PTO, I was born in the mid-70s and still remember the cowboy boot period carrying over into the early 80s. There were numerous movies that were about cowboys, and I mean the modern type not the classic Westerns. John Travolta was in one. I think Richard Gere may have been in another, but I could be making that up. Also, there were a lot of crossover popular songs by Country & Western artists in those days. Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, and Kenny Rogers were all huge stars. The Dukes of Hazard was a huge show for kids and they wore western wear even though they were southerners and I'm not sure they ever had jobs, so it would be stretch to call them cowboys or even farmers.

Last year my sister asked if I thought my father still had those cowboy boots he used to have in the back of his closet. He did't wear them past 1984, but they were in the closet at least until 2010. He grew up in Queens, went to school in NYC, Philadelphia, and Newark, and once he had kids lived in the suburbs of NYC and Washington DC. He was never a cowboy or even tied to the culture.

slows2k

Reaction score
great PTO article Derek, along with a lot of suggestions for boots at any price point. Along these lines I have been really attracted to this Butterscotch LB makeup with RDT, that seems to slot somewhere in between a cowboy boot, side zip, and rocker boot of some sort. Anyone have thoughts on these: are they awesome balancing act or a terrible Frankenstein of styles?

0002BS2021-03-31_1024x1024@2x.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
great PTO article Derek, along with a lot of suggestions for boots at any price point. Along these lines I have been really attracted to this Butterscotch LB makeup with RDT, that seems to slot somewhere in between a cowboy boot, side zip, and rocker boot of some sort. Anyone have thoughts on these: are they awesome balancing act or a terrible Frankenstein of styles?

View attachment 1654575

Those boots seem cool. $900 is a bit of money though. FWIW, you can find the Lucchese Jonah for about $500 sometimes.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boots seem cool. $900 is a bit of money though. FWIW, you can find the Lucchese Jonah for about $500 sometimes.

But for $900 you can rock RDTs that almost no one has and might not be reissued and someone will stop you on the sidewalk and go “those boots are so cool! Where’d you get them, Macy’s?”

slows2k

Reaction score

Yeah no question $900 is dear. The ones you linked seem like a good alternative, and probably more available.

But for $900 you can rock RDTs that almost no one has and might not be reissued and someone will stop you on the sidewalk and go “those boots are so cool! Where’d you get them, Macy’s?”

Funny thing to be concerned about, where people think your boots are from. I guess if that worries you then carry on. No one thinks twice when a pair of Aldens now costs near $700 after tax, but these at $900 are beyond the pale?

Remy Fool

Reaction score
Funny thing to be concerned about, where people think your boots are from. I guess if that worries you then carry on. No one thinks twice when a pair of Aldens now costs near $700 after tax, but these at $900 are beyond the pale?

I read his hypothetical scenario as him just poking fun at the average shopper. My manager's manager said I was very "J.Crew" when I was wearing a Scott & Charters cardigan once. Those are just the places these people shop at.

slows2k

Reaction score
I read his hypothetical scenario as him just poking fun at the average shopper. My manager's manager said I was very "J.Crew" when I was wearing a Scott & Charters cardigan once. Those are just the places these people shop at.

Fair enough; maybe I read more snark into it than was there. If so, my bad.

They would be a lot of money to me, make no mistake. But as I’ve gotten further into this I realize that when something EXACTLY as I like it comes along, sometimes it’s just best to jump on it and cry afterward.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That other side-zip looks more like a work shoe to me. The rounded toe and thicker heel. Whereas I think of the Lucchese as more Western. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, stylistically. But if you don't have a strong preference, seems like the Lucchese can get the job done in many outfits for about half the price.

Rebus

Reaction score
Anyone know about sizing/general last shape on the Savas Legend boot? Site says true to size, but they don't offer returns or half sizes so I want to be sure.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the Santa Rosa issac looks like a nice side zip boot, but I cant find the Brown suede in stock anywhere...

notmandatory

Reaction score
I pre-ordered those RDT's from Butterscotch. They're supposed to arrive in October. I agree $900 is a lot but a 50/50 payment structure makes it easier for me to stomach (even though it's not actually any cheaper).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads