• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

nbymidwest

Reaction score
Had the surreal experience of reading Derek's description of a suit and looking down to see that I was wearing it. (Just happened to wear an Anthony Sinclair suit today that is the plain weave classic walnut four point star Fox cloth that is discussed in the new post.) For what it's worth, I don't usually wear browns, but this walnut is very versatile.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had the surreal experience of reading Derek's description of a suit and looking down to see that I was wearing it. (Just happened to wear an Anthony Sinclair suit today that is the plain weave classic walnut four point star Fox cloth that is discussed in the new post.) For what it's worth, I don't usually wear browns, but this walnut is very versatile.
How would you describe the cloth? Airy, breathes well?

Waughisme

Reaction score
Can anyone identify the fabric that Mark Cho checked blazer is made of, second pic in the photo roll at the end of the latest dww article?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
how do you like T Michael? Kimono looks brilliant.

I dig those. Would go great with the kurta pyjama that I wore to get married: "This is my Afghan warlord fit".

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T Michael’s tailoring is on point and he uses top notch fabrics always. It’s premium stuff

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you like T Michael? Kimono looks brilliant.

Not my normal aesthetic, but the kimono is cool. Really feeling those Pierrot trousers

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you describe the cloth? Airy, breathes well?

Peter, I have a suit in the Foxair Olive 4-point star from Ercole, and I really like it. Very much a fresco-type cloth, a bit rough in the hand, crunchy and drapes beautifully. It wears cool as well.

-DL

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I really enjoyed your most recent post, Derek. Your enthusiasm for getting back into tailored clothing is infectious!

A question that relates to a couple of recent DWW blog posts and forum comments of yours (which you should feel free to ignore if you feel as if you have already covered this ground in other posts): in light of what you have written about tan shoes in general, and your skepticism of tan oxfords in particular, what are some brands whose shades of tan you find to be more versatile and wearable? Also, in the way that some styles of shoe look particularly good in certain colors — perhaps like a burgundy split toe or a black tassel loafer — are there any particular styles for which you consider tan to be a distinctively good color?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really enjoyed your most recent post, Derek. Your enthusiasm for getting back into tailored clothing is infectious!

A question that relates to a couple of recent DWW blog posts and forum comments of yours (which you should feel free to ignore if you feel as if you have already covered this ground in other posts): in light of what you have written about tan shoes in general, and your skepticism of tan oxfords in particular, what are some brands whose shades of tan you find to be more versatile and wearable? Also, in the way that some styles of shoe look particularly good in certain colors — perhaps like a burgundy split toe or a black tassel loafer — are there any particular styles for which you consider tan to be a distinctively good color?

Hm, I would go by what's already in your closet. (I realize I keep using the same photos for this discussion but these are what I can recall easily, so sorry if this is redundant/ repetitive).

tumblr_ns8txlazcQ1qa2j8co2_1280.jpg
tumblr_ns8txlazcQ1qa2j8co3_500.jpg

^ If you have lighter colored suits, then I think you can do tan derbies or oxfords. Can't remember who made the oxfords above, but I believe the monk straps are John Lobb's Osner.

tumblr_ns8txlazcQ1qa2j8co4_1280-1.jpg
tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co5_r1_1280.png
tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co2_r1_1280.png

^ If you have lighter colored sport coats, then I would do tan derbies or penny loafers. I believe Greg is wearing a pair of Lobbs, while Mark is wearing Kenji Suzuki loafers.

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co4_r1_1280.png

^ I also think tan shoes work in "happy" summer outfits. Sometimes tan shoes "lift" up an outfit and makes it more seasonal. If it's a summer sport coat outfit, I would probably do tan penny loafers. The shoes above are from Kenji Suzuki. These are on the warmer shade of tan, which helps with this kind of "happy outfit." An earthier, more sedate looking tan would have earthier undertones (such as the Lobb Osners above). I generally think that "colder" shoes are easier to wear, but a warm pair works for this sort of summer outfit.

tumblr_nycb35MQYo1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

^ If you have a lighter-colored fall sport coat, then I think tan grained split toes also work well. These are Crockett & Jones. I believe they were an exclusive for Ben Silver.

c3baece92ec1a39143d7b6d95b043db1.jpeg
blackhorse-lane-ateliers-denim-the-rake.jpg
The-Coniston-Boot-in-Tan_8637_R_2683ea8e.jpeg

^ Once you get into casualwear, I don't think the "rules" are so strict. For example, I think a Barbour jacket with blue jeans work with tan grained boots. These are from Crockett & Jones. Charles Tywhitt used to sell a very similar model, I believe made by Loake. Either company may still offer this style.

stockton-how-we-make-em.jpeg
160024538_1450798931947318_6921321512183429804_n.jpeg
167051771_260969699099962_8222399840160673594_n.jpeg

^ I also think once you leave CM, things can be even more fluid. Tan work boots or side-zips can work in some Westernwear or workwear styled outfits. The boots above are from Tecovas and Rios of Mercedes.

In a classic tailored outfit, I think the tradition is to have the focus be on the V-shape intersection created by your shirt, tie, and jacket's opening. So it's harder to wear things like patterned pants or brightly colored shoes, as those things can draw the eye downward. We're used to focusing on the top half of the outfit. But that norm isn't always present in other types of aesthetics.

If you have lighter-colored summer sport coats, then I would probably do something like a tan derby or loafer. If you have lighter-colored suits, you can try a tan oxford. If you want something that straddles both suits and sport coats, I would probably do a derby.

If you're looking for something to wear in the fall with CM-styled casualwear, then I think tan grained boots are easy. If you're going further out into workwear or some other aesthetic, tan shoe can be even easier. For that very basic workwear look that was popular five or ten years ago, I think Red Wings moc boots can be worn in tan or dark brown -- the two colors are almost interchangeable.

I think John Lobb and Edward Green both have really good shades of tan. They tend to be on the earthier, colder side of tan. But if you want that happy summer outfit, you might want a warm pair. I'm sure there are other good options, so people should chime in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads