• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This seems like the sort of thing many here might appreciate. The Polo ads at the end give me serious nostalgia vibes for the small northeastern liberal arts college I would visit as a kid in the early to mid 90s:

Hmmm...that series is making me think I should keep a linen shirt I just got which is a size too large. Clearly, you also need the right trousers. Thanks for posting.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weighing up authenticity, origin, environmental impact, and indeed privilege (to name just a few) are all things we as the consumer do with more regularity than ever before.
Well, some of us do anyway. The consumer is hydra-headed.

I largely side with @UrbanComposition in all this:

I’m a union electrician, and I don’t care. Why do you? Real question.
Seems to me that style can be largely independent of occupation, point-of-view, or whatnot. Maybe someone's style is being a fraud - what then? Why should we care so much about what other people think?

I do believe that a good sense of style is largely derived from one's inner self and personality. That style, though, will manifest itself naturally and with no special effort on your part, unless you happen to lack a style in the first place.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are clear examples where style needs to take into account origin, and being conscious of it is relevant. Ralph Lauren and the use of Native American iconography and heritage for example is relevant to the world we are all aware . There are of course many more.

The question perhaps in terms of this particular discussions is whether you feel class to be a relevant factor to appreciate or dissect. Id argue that class is a huge under appreciated lens on culture at the moment, even though it seems strangely unexamined in the great culture wars of 2020/21 .
In my opinion income , inequality and the associated identity this creates have a large bearing on how we view many discussions, including this one.
I guess you're talking about the nebulous concept of 'appropriation?' While being aware of how it might offend some, I'd also posit that by that line of reasoning, anyone who wears a suit and doesn't come from a Western European heritage is also appropriating a style. And again, who cares?

I don't really think income factors into any kind of class discussion at all, unless you're looking at it from a purely American perspective, and even then there are other considerations. If someone allows their class to influence their style decisions, that's up to them. Personally, I've never found much of a contradiction between my own background and my current style - but I certainly never gave it much thought at any point. In fact, I'm probably quite boring in my predictability. Doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

I'd say that if class and political connotations matter to the wearer so much that he either spurns jeans/workwear because of those associations, rather than because they don't fit into his own style, or pretends to be 'over classic menswear' because he prejudicially assigns certain points of view to those who wear tailored clothing, that says a lot more about his own hang-ups than the clothes themselves. And the implications aren't healthy.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
This seems like the sort of thing many here might appreciate. The Polo ads at the end give me serious nostalgia vibes for the small northeastern liberal arts college I would visit as a kid in the early to mid 90s:

Some amazing pants.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Some amazing pants.
Polo, mid 90s: "Do you enjoy baggy linen? Nobody knowing where you end and the world begins."

"Oh, yes, very much so. Chandler Bing couldn't be any more of a style icon."

*Whispering gently* "Here"

"Oh thank you, that's lovely, but honestly I already have more than en--"

*Groaning suggestively* "Here"

"... Umm.... Yeah. Thanks and stuff, but honestly, I think I'm pretty good for linen right now. Could I have more linen? Haha. Ha. Wait, what are you doing? Why are you--?"

*Hissing aggressively * "Here!!!!!!"

"I.." *Choking on reams of linen* "Why are you--" *Coughing, struggling* "Whyyyyyyy...?"

Last edited:

Calanon

Reaction score
QQ: What's the DW article where it had about the story of the mother embracing "fuck it" and getting out the finest China etc?

Nevermind - I spend ages looking, no luck, give up and remember what it's called. Unfortunately, Derek deleted the article (put on your happy suit). Pls stop deleting them all Derek. I like going back for particular things.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.