• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Louis Louis

Reaction score
Thorns, i'm sorry to say that, because your posts are always very educative, but you sometimes sound like a fondamentalist cult member. I don't think "Hedi" has been given the latitude to choose everything, and i think that if this jacket feels cheap it's just bc someone cuts costs. I've even heard from some insiders that Slimane is slightly put aside, LVMH set teams to work on the collection.

And true, this jacket is awful, it's ok for a qatari football hooligan maybe (if such hooligan does exist), or a wedding singer in north africa.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very curious to go to a boutique and sample these leathers per se! I have waxed about how the leathers at Celine were not killing it for me, but so far, the knits and jeans have been superb. Shoes/boots seem to be middling so far as has been discussed ad infinitum, but it is more than fair game to talk relative levels of quality on a fashion forum, especially since the head designer vouches on the importance of provenance of certain ideas or yes materials.

Bryan55

Reaction score
To echo what others have said, I also remember a few pages ago there were some criticisms about the metallic gold leather blouson, in particular the zipper and trim not properly aligning. It’s actually the main reason I never pulled the trigger on it when it went on sale last year. (Hindsight being 20/20, I regret not picking it up)

Bryan55

Reaction score
Very curious to go to a boutique and sample these leathers per se! I have waxed about how the leathers at Celine were not killing it for me, but so far, the knits and jeans have been superb. Shoes/boots seem to be middling so far as has been discussed ad infinitum, but it is more than fair game to talk relative levels of quality on a fashion forum, especially since the head designer vouches on the importance of provenance of certain ideas or yes materials.

I love the quality of the leather on my green blouson. My only complaint is I wish I could have sized down with a 48 instead of a 50.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryan - would love to hear more about the green blouson. I've always had my eye on it, but have hesitated due to a) questions of how to wear it, and b) some concerns about quality, e.g., small zippers.

Louis Louis

Reaction score
The green one is really nice, kind of smooth wrinkled patent leather. Lining is nice too. Brown rib cuffs are a very intelligent addition (better than black). And the shade of green is perfect.
Fun fact : the zipper is on the lady side.

Bryan55

Reaction score
Bryan - would love to hear more about the green blouson. I've always had my eye on it, but have hesitated due to a) questions of how to wear it, and b) some concerns about quality, e.g., small zippers.

Personally I love it. It’s a very, very soft leather and really drapes to my body. I forget who pointed it out here but the pebbling of the leather give it a cool vintage look. I wear it somewhat often, maybe not quite as much as I would a black leather and it could be considered better suited for nights as opposed to day but since bars and nightlife is closed in NYC I️ wear it when I can.

rire

Reaction score
This.
We've already got the memo: Everything is 'elevated' (what is that even supposed to mean) , extremely cerebral, of the best possible quality, extremely intuitive socio-politco-sartorial hot takes on the zeitgeist, etc...
Cue 8 paragraph reply that goes in-depth about cognitive bias re: apprehending Hedi's 'oeuvre' whilst counting how many leather jackets are available on the Asian webstore at this particular moment in time and why only 40% of them have metal zippers.

You can't deny the serious tone of Thorns' posts is hilarious though, almost Hedi level of cringe (see Wall Street Journal interview about Celine perfumes or I should say 'the olfactory dimension of the holistic project conceived for the maison') which it very obviously channels.

Now the hard drive full of photographic archives he dives into is great and does come in handy when you're looking for that one picture of 'multi-zip louche leather blouson worn at european art opening circa 2015', not gonna lie!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh - we shouldn't be too ad-hominem on good Thorns, he's like a fashion encyclopedia and does contribute a lot to this thread despite being at the highest pinnacle of Hedi hagiography. His run downs on Saint Laurent, ironically enough, are super inspiring to me and some of his takes on the East-Asian market are eye opening if not quite always in sync with the zeitgeist here. I recall that I at first assumed he was a Celine mole, but he points out enough shortcomings or disagreements with the brand to be credible.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
hagiography

I learned a new word today. Always happy to expand my vocabulary in my second language. : )

"Dancing Kid Loose Raglan jacket in soft lamb skin. This jacket is rubbish and the quality is so lame. The leather felt like cardboard. If anyone planning to get it please try it in store to see if you like it or not."

I don't think anyone here was planning on getting this specific one but interesting nonetheless. First time I've ever seen someone who said the leather on a jacket by Hedi is trash.

If this is true, I personally think they downgraded the leather because the target audience is rich tiktok boys who would rather buy a cool product than a product of high quality.

However, let's play devil's advocate for a second, this is literally just one guy giving his opinion. Could it be that they used different leather because it fits the oversized fit of the jacket? Maybe there truly is a reason for the usage of different leather?

Again, I don't think so but I'm open minded.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned a new word today. Always happy to expand my vocabulary in my second language. : )

If this is true, I personally think they downgraded the leather because the target audience is rich tiktok boys who would rather buy a cool product than a product of high quality.

However, let's play devil's advocate for a second, this is literally just one guy giving his opinion. Could it be that they used different leather because it fits the oversized fit of the jacket? Maybe there truly is a reason for the usage of different leather?

Again, I don't think so but I'm open minded.
Just noticed that that jacket is $6400 on teh us website. That is inexcusable.

I remember when I was in 7th grade French class we were watching this French movie, I have no idea what it was. The only reason I remember it is because there was this middle-aged guy in it wearing this extremely gaudy jacket with the words "je suis sexy" on the back of it. I think it had the same colors as that Celine one.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Just noticed that that jacket is $6400 on teh us website. That is inexcusable.

I remember when I was in 7th grade French class we were watching this French movie, I have no idea what it was. The only reason I remember it is because there was this middle-aged guy in it wearing this extremely gaudy jacket with the words "je suis sexy" on the back of it. I think it had the same colors as that Celine one.

It's just 4900 euros here. An absolute steal!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads