• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted by the loose blouson at 40% off on sale, and I fancy the suede 70s jacket. Are the shoulders wide in the suede jacket as in some photos they look to be?
According to the web store, the shoulder width in size 48 is 18.7 in (47.5 cm), which seems really wide to me. I feel like the fit wouldn't be that great on it.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too promising then. It looks wide on the labels model, but they're wearing a 50. Also looks wide on the runway though.

Malour

Reaction score
Fw20 is really cool and sexy, but I don't see the style in my own personal wardrobe. I'm sure I'm not in the minority about this here. Ironically this is the same for ss21, but I don't hear as much backlash or even really any discussion about fw20. It just seems kind of forgettable, while all the attention is on ss21. A part of me feels like 40 mm or 45 mm or 60 mm for the Pages boot would be a hit, but a part of me acknowledges that a good product is not enough. The branding is also what will be a major influence in whether people will buy the product, and perhaps the current branding recognition/status doesn't warrant mass production of the Pages boots in multiple heel variations.

I think you have to remember the collection came out a few days before the whole world shut down. Celine have not had the required time to manufacture the clothes and the marketing in the pandemic was difficult. Remember, normally a SS collection comes out in January, so I think Dancing Kid, from Celine's perspective, is both better selling and easier to manufacture and therefore the collection is bigger and kind of works as a bandage on the bleeding FW20 collection/production. I am sure we will see another wave of the collection maybe in January.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of ranking Celine low top sneakers in how dressy they are, I think it would go something like this

1. Felix (interesting that this sneaker has a pointy toe like a pair of Jacnos...but I think it wasn't popular enough and got discontinued)
    1605980199059.png

1605980421712.png
  2. Triomphe (this feels very classical and what you would expect of dressier designer leather tennis sneakers)
    1605980550777.png

1605980602395.png
  3. Elliot (this feels very punk and youthful especially with graphic prints)
    1605980675955.png

1605980813965.png
  4. Break (most youthful basketball sneakers)
    1605981035908.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you have to remember the collection came out a few days before the whole world shut down. Celine have not had the required time to manufacture the clothes and the marketing in the pandemic was difficult. Remember, normally a SS collection comes out in January, so I think Dancing Kid, from Celine's perspective, is both better selling and easier to manufacture and therefore the collection is bigger and kind of works as a bandage on the bleeding FW20 collection/production. I am sure we will see another wave of the collection maybe in January.

Personally, I'm not that invested in making sure there is always a new collection every season. If the pandemic changes anything, I feel like there should be less of an emphasis on always pushing something new. I have no clue about marketing, but I wouldn't mind them taking more time to really build some "relevance" to some foundational pieces that they want to symbolize Celine rather than just pumping and quickly discontinuing new designs. I'm really impressed with Hedi having boots that are reoccurring in multiple seasons. But this is probably not how it works, and the majority are always expecting the next new thing. I guess this just stems from my own bias of not liking seasonal pieces that will go out of style quickly.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blank is another fairly dressy and very flexible sneaker, equal to the Triomphe. I only have the triomphe at the moment. I want the blank with the red and blue, and the German army ones as well but can't get hold of either. I was planning to buy the break low top too but I'm not too impressed after seeing more images.

Malour

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not that invested in making sure there is always a new collection every season. If the pandemic changes anything, I feel like there should be less of an emphasis on always pushing something new. I have no clue about marketing, but I wouldn't mind them taking more time to really build some "relevance" to some foundational pieces that they want to symbolize Celine rather than just pumping and quickly discontinuing new designs. I'm really impressed with Hedi having boots that are reoccurring in multiple seasons. But this is probably not how it works, and the majority are always expecting the next new thing. I guess this just stems from my own bias of not liking seasonal pieces that will go out of style quickly.

I totally agree. I always prefer a permanent collection with solid pieces over everything else.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blank is another fairly dressy and very flexible sneaker, equal to the Triomphe. I only have the triomphe at the moment. I want the blank with the red and blue, and the German army ones as well but can't get hold of either. I was planning to buy the break low top too but I'm not too impressed after seeing more images.
That's true, I totally forgot about the Blank!

There are 2 variations. One with the black piping detailing and ridges on the sole edge (feels more angular), and one that is doesn't have the piping or pronounced ridges (feels rounder/softer).
1605981788710.png

1605981808868.png

1605981848590.png

1605982144957.png

1605982234687.png

1605981939142.png

1605982017534.png

1605982111004.png

The more angular version leans punker and feels closer to the Elliot skate sneakers. The rounder version leans more to the Triomphe style and feels more sophisticated.

Last edited:

Randeep

Reaction score
Doesn't sound too promising then. It looks wide on the labels model, but they're wearing a 50. Also looks wide on the runway though.

So as you may remember, I bought this jacket. Mine is a size 48 and "usually" my body type is that of a built/broad 48, so if you're hovering between a size 48 and 50 usually and you tried the 50 in that blouson (IIRC), for this I would recommend 48. That 48 recommendation stems from the fact that yes - it _isn't_ the most sharply cut on the shoulders in comparison to some other jackets (but runway fit was also similar), so maybe a 48 you can 'grow into'.

Here's some quick pics I took the day I received it (at my quarantine weight so ignore fact it doesn't drape perfectly - I've got a lot of weight to shift around midsection and weight loss also makes my chest/shoulder area lose some volume) which I wasn't intending to post... but we're all m8s here, and it might help to sway you towards/away from the jacket :). It was enough for me to want to keep the jacket though - sleeves seem ever so slightly long but hoping once I actually wear it the creasing will help pull them back a bit. I really like the huge zippers, colour (including the lining) and weight of the suede (it errs more on the stiff than completely soft side) on this jacket though!

(btw, my hope is the shoulder area still manages to look 'ok' once I tone up, my biggest OCD is about the shoulder area on outerwear, and half the reason I focus so much on deltoids in the gym hah!)

IMG_8482.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The red and blue blank modelnspired by Feiyue sneakers.
1605982770557.jpeg

Vs
1605982949573.jpeg

It is also a nice call back to Phoebe’s Feiyue inspired sneakers.
1605982844409.jpeg

I would have never imagined that shoes I wore in my childhood for wushu practice would become stylish.
1605983052418.jpeg

1605983110070.jpeg

1605983136747.jpeg

1605983952928.jpeg

1605984431143.jpeg

1605984467766.jpeg
Interesting article on resurgence of Feiyu and Warrior sneakers that were a staple of China in the 80s and 90s: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1073281.shtml

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So as you may remember, I bought this jacket. Mine is a size 48 and "usually" my body type is that of a built/broad 48, so if you're hovering between a size 48 and 50 usually and you tried the 50 in that blouson (IIRC), for this I would recommend 48. That 48 recommendation stems from the fact that yes - it _isn't_ the most sharply cut on the shoulders in comparison to some other jackets (but runway fit was also similar), so maybe a 48 you can 'grow into'.

Here's some quick pics I took the day I received it (at my quarantine weight so ignore fact it doesn't drape perfectly - I've got a lot of weight to shift around midsection and weight loss also makes my chest/shoulder area lose some volume) which I wasn't intending to post... but we're all m8s here, and it might help to sway you towards/away from the jacket :). It was enough for me to want to keep the jacket though - sleeves seem ever so slightly long but hoping once I actually wear it the creasing will help pull them back a bit. I really like the huge zippers, colour (including the lining) and weight of the suede (it errs more on the stiff than completely soft side) on this jacket though!

(btw, my hope is the shoulder area still manages to look 'ok' once I tone up, my biggest OCD is about the shoulder area on outerwear, and half the reason I focus so much on deltoids in the gym hah!)

View attachment 1501667
View attachment 1501671

View attachment 1501674
View attachment 1501675
View attachment 1501676
View attachment 1501669
View attachment 1501677
View attachment 1501678
I know I talk about cropped sleeves all the time but those sleeves look perfect on your frame. Cropped sleeves would make the jacket look ridiculous.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Randeep. The colour and suede looks fantastic and the shoulders don't look excessively wide, although it's hard to tell how my frame would compare to yours. I'm going to have to wait and go to store once they open again I think. So far I haven't had much luck with jackets from Celine, everything else has been fantastic though. Hopefully that can change.

Personally I don't worry about sleeve length for anything I want to wear in cooler weather. A bit of extra length only helps as long as it isn't right down to the thumb joint or something.

Thorns those are the ones I want, I see them as something a bit lighter for summer. The plain white is nice too but I don't like the ones with the black stripe around them.

DJR

Reaction score

View attachment 1501667
View attachment 1501671

View attachment 1501674
View attachment 1501675
View attachment 1501676
View attachment 1501669
View attachment 1501677
View attachment 1501678

This suede is crust suede used for shoes. Not even velour suede. I hope nobody paid retail for this. Totally shameful Celine would use this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics