• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dranguschu

Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of cordovan indy on Barrie last but want some advices about the size

I usually wear tricker's and find country brogue in 4444 lasts UK 9 fitting 5 fit me perfectly, should I get US 10D or US10E for alden Barrie lasts Indy ?

Thank you

TactileOne

Reaction score
cgul629 pair of NSTs with commando soles. South Fl may be a bit hotter than Atlanta, but I bet boots would work at least 75% of the time.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to buy a pair of cordovan indy on Barrie last but want some advices about the size

I usually wear tricker's and find country brogue in 4444 lasts UK 9 fitting 5 fit me perfectly, should I get US 10D or US10E for alden Barrie lasts Indy ?

Thank you
Is there anyway possible that you could get to try some Alden boots on somewhere?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dusttruffle: just wanted to double check that this is the grant last. cannot quite get over the similarity to Barrie in fit. thanks

Yes - model 3980 is on the Grant last. I am certain of it.

Reaction score
Mac, those #8 full straps look great. A classic. I have a couple of pairs myself. Second or third Alden shells I ever bought, way back. First was the unlined LHS. All from Brooks in the beginning.

Do you have the full straps in cigar or whiskey? Pictures please if you do. Have a source for whiskey ones? Shoe Mart shows cigar. Thanks, Ed

Last edited:

cgul629

Reaction score
cgul629 pair of NSTs with commando soles. South Fl may be a bit hotter than Atlanta, but I bet boots would work at least 75% of the time.

Very nice boots, and something like those would scratch my NST itch too. Now that my wishlist is going to include boots, it is really going to be out of control.

Thanks (I think
wink.gif
) to all who counseled that boots won't be too bad in the heat.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RTP, I am afraid you are mistaken.  Alden does not use the term Cap Toe anywhere that I can see on these shoes (please correct me if I am wrong this time).  They use the term Straight Tip (or Medallion Tip on the one with a medallion).  I don't think I've misunderstood anything, and I'm not meaning to sound frustrated or condescending.  I'm simply surprised that there was such a long debate over something that is easily referenced on their website for all to see.  All I was really trying to say is that Alden uses their own terminology to describe shoes that have the same traditional patterns as other high quality dress shoe manufacturers.  They are the only ones that use their own terminology, in spite of the fact that the other terminology is quite mainstream and recognized.  I really don't care if someone chooses to use their own terminology for their product, but apparently it is causing confusion (hence this conversation), and I do find that frustrating. 

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=69&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=71&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=72&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=73&PageID=8

EDIT:
I went back and read your original post. You seem to have missed in my quote above where I said that other retailers (such as The Shoe Mart) do refer to some of their Alden Shoes as Cap Toes. However, that doesn't change that Alden does not call them Cap Toes, they call them Straight Tips. Insert people's confusion.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised or frustrated that there was confusion around this. You said yourself that Alden uses their own terminology despite what the majority of other high quality shoe manufacturers use. Adding to that, places like TSM use different descriptions than Alden does for many of their straight-tips/cap toes. I think it's pretty obvious that would confuse some people. Perhaps a better question may have been, why does Alden use the term straight tip when everyone else uses cap toe?

I wrote the original question so I thank you for providing some detail surrounding the naming conventions, but to actually get frustrated that a discussion was sparked by my question seems rather strange.

strangebrew

Reaction score
Thinking about visiting Union Made and checking out some shell chukkas. Can these be dressed down, way down, with jeans? Anyone have pics?

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mac, those #8 full straps look great. A classic. I have a couple of pairs myself. Second or third Alden shells I ever bought, way back. First was the unlined LHS. All from Brooks in the beginning.

Do you have the full straps in cigar or whiskey? Pictures please if you do. Have a source for whiskey ones? Shoe Mart shows cigar. Thanks, Ed

Alden NYC sells the full strap in whiskey

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
strangebrew: Thinking about visiting Union Made and checking out some shell chukkas. Can these be dressed down, way down, with jeans? Anyone have pics?

Yes - every shell color, in a chukka boot, can be worn with jeans. It is a nice look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members