***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

anyone else use leather tipped crepe / plantation soles?

[​IMG]

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    snip the thread with your scissors

3. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

If someone is typically a 10 1/2 C, would a 10 D likely fit ? I got an inquiry on this for one of my auctions for a shoe that's on the Barrie last. I'm guessing I can't say for certain without first knowing on which last this person wears a 10 1/2 C?

4. Burton

Burton Senior member

Not opposed to snipping the thread, but I have gotten better results by using a lit match to burn the loose end down. This seems to stop all future unravelling- but does require a gentle hand.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

5. cgul629

cgul629 Member

Thank you both for the warm welcome. My mac method skills need a lot of work to get to the level of shine I see posted here, but I will definitely do my best.

I do like the look of a lot of Alden boots, but assumed they would be too hot to wear in south Florida. I suppose I may have to reconsider.

6. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Wear my boots often here in Atlanta and find them comfortable. course I like a good pair of loafers this time of year as well.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I recently acquired a pair of cigar PTB's via TSM. It was a makeup that I wanted for some and when I saw my size available, I jumped on them. Upon receipt, I noticed that the finish was streaky and uneven. After careful examination, I decided to keep them. However, over the ensuing weeks, I found that in sunlight the uneven finish was much more noticeable than I originally thought. Note, original examination was indoors at night and the first few times I wore them were in overcast days & evenings.

After owning them for a month, I figured I would contact Alden to inquire about refinishing. I also reached out to Shoemart for advice. I offerred to send TSM pictures and the CS rep passed them along to Ed, the owner. He immediately suggested I return them to shoemart who would work with Alden directly. I was uneasy about sending them back to Alden myself as I'd read about long, long turnaround times.

To my surprise, about 3 weeks passed and my shoes are back in hand. The finish is factory fresh with no unevenness or streaks. I have to give kudos to TSM for their help.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Note, I boosted the contrast to make the unevenness more noticeable).

[​IMG]

And after refinishing:

[​IMG]

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

RTP, I am afraid you are mistaken. Alden does not use the term Cap Toe anywhere that I can see on these shoes (please correct me if I am wrong this time). They use the term Straight Tip (or Medallion Tip on the one with a medallion). I don't think I've misunderstood anything, and I'm not meaning to sound frustrated or condescending. I'm simply surprised that there was such a long debate over something that is easily referenced on their website for all to see. All I was really trying to say is that Alden uses their own terminology to describe shoes that have the same traditional patterns as other high quality dress shoe manufacturers. They are the only ones that use their own terminology, in spite of the fact that the other terminology is quite mainstream and recognized. I really don't care if someone chooses to use their own terminology for their product, but apparently it is causing confusion (hence this conversation), and I do find that frustrating.

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=69&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=71&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=72&PageID=8

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=73&PageID=8

EDIT:
    I went back and read your original post. You seem to have missed in my quote above where I said that other retailers (such as The Shoe Mart) do refer to some of their Alden Shoes as Cap Toes. However, that doesn't change that Alden does not call them Cap Toes, they call them Straight Tips. Insert people's confusion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Patrick_b, beautiful pair of shoes sir. Your patience was definitely rewarded. Wear them in the best of health.

10. Don L

Don L Senior member

Grant Cigar Cap Toe - Straight Tip's today
    Marcoliani Argyle OTC ala Uncle
    [​IMG]

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Holy crap do I need more money! Beautiful.

13. BeSpiffington

Eggcellent combo Don L. Boots and argyles magnifico!

14. jmemt

jmemt Active Member

Agreed. Then we just need a place that has Cigar boots in stock...

15. BeSpiffington

Your styling like a star in those blue suede shoes MrDV. Great combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.