• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the photos of my Real McCoy's N-1 deck jacket . I think it's a great fit and I can wear a sweatshirt or knit underneath. That said, the alpaca wool lining is pretty warm. I went with the advice on https://therealmccoys.com/products/n-1-deck-jacket-plain

@jmiller123 , it's snug at the armpits but I'm fine with that.

I usually wear a 40 but sized down to a 38 and think it works well. See what you think.

10c90a81a2cb1d1ea44b7bf34eef9c02f37ae266.jpg

f492944f171cdaa0e89674a94cb5cf3633716a69.jpg

Nice fit. The arm width and length can be a bit tricky on N-1s - a little wide and either too short (in my case) or longer than I would prefer. Those sleeves are great in both regards.

jmiller123

Reaction score
These are the photos of my Real McCoy's N-1 deck jacket . I think it's a great fit and I can wear a sweatshirt or knit underneath. That said, the alpaca wool lining is pretty warm. I went with the advice on https://therealmccoys.com/products/n-1-deck-jacket-plain

@jmiller123 , it's snug at the armpits but I'm fine with that.

I usually wear a 40 but sized down to a 38 and think it works well. See what you think.

10c90a81a2cb1d1ea44b7bf34eef9c02f37ae266.jpg

f492944f171cdaa0e89674a94cb5cf3633716a69.jpg

That looks great- perfect fit. I'm wondering if I got a dud on my 38. I usually can fit a 38 no problem but was exceedingly tight at the shoulder/pit with anything more than a t-shirt. Maybe I'll try again. That alpaca lining sure is warm, was sweating trying it on!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I think the fit is perfect as well. I wore it for the full day yesterday. It was snug at the armpits to begin with but felt more and more comfortable the longer I wore it.

The fit doesn't look like the Paul Newman or James Dean photos but I personally prefer it this way.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Toys McCoy's tees are spun in the US. As an overseas consumer it seems the appeal of these Japanese repro tees is that they are spun by a dying breed of Japanese manufacturer, although I suppose the coveted techniques of that dying breed emulate the production techniques of war-era US. Having them spun in the US is more "authentic" for the subject matter, but I wonder if it's of the same caliber. In other words, I wonder if these are loopwheel.

I'll add that I have one loopwheel tee from RMC (collab w/ Armoury), and while I appreciate it, it doesn't blow me away much more than my J. Crew slub tees, my Uniqlo U tees, or Velva Sheen tees I have had in the past. The normal-weight, brushed RMC loopwheel sweatshirts, on the other hand, are unlike anything I've handled.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're made in the US, I wouldn't think they're loopwheeled shirts. They may be tube knit to have no side seams but won't have the variated texture loopwheel shirts are known to have.

I have some loopwheel tees from RMC as well as Timeworn, and I'd agree that its not a blow your head away type thing, but they hold up very well in the wash as they're typically a bit heavier in weight than an average tee. Not sure if they're really worth the premium, but I'm a sucker for them haha.

asaa1000

Reaction score
Anyone know what’s happening with Flat Head? Heard they were done a year or two ago, but maybe back again? Love the winter flannels, and recently lost a 6 year old one, which was my favourite for a long time...

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what’s happening with Flat Head? Heard they were done a year or two ago, but maybe back again? Love the winter flannels, and recently lost a 6 year old one, which was my favourite for a long time...
I think SE should be getting new stock from them. I'm not sure how the restructuring went but I think they're still around. Not sure what their core products are looking like, not that I can fit in to any lol. They had so many sub labels it was always hard to keep track of a lot of their stuff.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think SE should be getting new stock from them. I'm not sure how the restructuring went but I think they're still around. Not sure what their core products are looking like, not that I can fit in to any lol. They had so many sub labels it was always hard to keep track of a lot of their stuff.

Yeah, TFLs fits were strange. Very wide shoulders, small chest and very slim in the waist. Not for me.

hobojones

Reaction score
So as promised, got the warehouse 451 loopwheel full zip and here are some quick impressions:

It’s on the thin side which is actually perfect for me since I live in southern california and we have no weather. Probably better to go for a different loopwheeled sweat if you want substantial and beefy, but if you want something light, thin, and easy, or maybe for layering then warehouse may fit the bill.

Arms are slim and fit is a bit cropped but that’s to be expected. I went TTS.

Seams and stitching are impeccable to my eye, the face farbic upon closer inspection has nice texture and variation, with little nubs of brown and cream, but you have to look really close (I know people on SF nerd out on stuff like this). Interior is soft and nubby but it isn’t the SOFTEST. I think even some very common main stream brands can make a very super soft fleece by brushing and treating the **** out of it. I remember a decade ago I wore american apparel flex fleece hoodies and they were super soft on day one but went to **** as soon as they were washed.

Does anyone have an idea on how to maintain keeping the fleece side soft? I know it’s brushed but I don’t imagine there’s a brush out there you could buy to keep it soft.

Otherwise, yeah, it’s a comfy hoodie that will probably get a good amount of wear from me since I’m unsure when my wfh will end. I think a lot of people equate thickness and beefiness to quality and value and if that’s the case with you then like I said I would look elsewhere.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The interior shouldnt need any maintenance. I machine wash & dry my SDA suvin gold and IH sweatshirt and they are fine.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I started innocently browsing Yahoo Auctions for Real McCoy’s catalogs. Now I’ve got 10 back issues of various Japanese periodicals collecting in a warehouse.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads