• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

kurdo

Reaction score
If there's a particular squadron or nose art that you want it is always possible to buy a nice blank reproduction jacket and send it to someone like Romain Hugault to have custom art done.

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion! I could just get the Hilts A-2, see how I like it, and have art added later (or not). The jackets that I am eyeing are the "Dona" or "Lady Luck". I am a bit hesitant because I don't know how often I'd actually wear something like that. It's truly stunning, but it may stand out too much.

I also love their Taxi Driver & Fritz the Cat lines.

The reasons to visit Japan keep piling up!

Cobra

Reaction score
I don’t have any Toys McCoy clothing, but I own two pairs of their boots and the quality is just phenomenal. Aside from the materials, the stitching is immaculate, and the comfort is great. Definitely check the sizing as I think the TM A-2s are a lot more generous than RM A-2s, and I think that holds true for most of their leather jackets.

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Anyone know of any repro brands that sell flannels in the style of RRL? Not looking for the heavy iron-heart, UES type flannel, but rather something lighter.. more in the Americana/ranch wear vibe.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any repro brands that sell flannels in the style of RRL? Not looking for the heavy iron-heart, UES type flannel, but rather something lighter.. more in the Americana/ranch wear vibe.
Stevenson Overall Dominator, maybe Warehouse/Heller's Cafe

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Stevenson Overall Dominator, maybe Warehouse/Heller's Cafe
Stevenson dominator is exactly what I've been after!

I think I could find other brands with a tad shorter fit, more in line with Japanese sizing though.

If you have any other suggestions that are similar, please let me know!

Cheers

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stevenson dominator is exactly what I've been after!

I think I could find other brands with a tad shorter fit, more in line with Japanese sizing though.

If you have any other suggestions that are similar, please let me know!

Cheers
Did you look at Warehouse? If so, what do you think?

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Pherrow's, The Real Mccoys, potentially Jelado, Deluxeware, Sugar Cane
Deluxeware seems to be more in line with what I'm after, at least in terms of the measurements

On a side-note:

I'll be visiting Tokyo this summer for about 3 weeks, and so I should really make in itinerary until then to hit up all those stores.

I've always been interested in Japanese Americana, as it pertains to Ivy, however, never delved much into workwear. Should really get researching!

I'm interested particularly in the layering and winter clothing; who knows if any of that stuff is stocked in the summer over there.

asandman

Reaction score
Wythe sounds right up your alley. Not strict repro but that exact vibe.

I'll also plug vintage flannels which is what RRL is based on after all. You can find them in tons of different fits, patterns, and colors, with varying degrees of authentic patina (TM). Also very affordable to try so long as you're not looking for ones from the 60s or earlier. I love repro but haven't (yet) found a flannel that I've felt compelled to buy, maybe Warehouse or Real McCoys as they reproduce some pretty rare and special shirts.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested particularly in the layering and winter clothing; who knows if any of that stuff is stocked in the summer over there.
Fall seasons for most brands won't start usually till around September. Maybe late august at the very earliest. At least with most of the brands discussed here. If you find any fall/winter garments it'll be from previous seasons if shops have items left. Most of these places don't 'clear' out items each season since they don't do sales like US retailers. So winter items will be a crap shoot really.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
You’ll have a lot of winter options, especially at Real McCoys.

Also, and unrelated, I notice Real McCoys have yet to release the indigo leather A2 jacket.

St. Anger Snare Tone

Reaction score
Piggybacking off the recent chat about buying direct from Japan, can anyone tell me if https://dubbleworks.com/ is legit? Seems kind of dumb to ask seeing it typed out like that, but something got my spidey-senses tingling.

The prices are in line with stuff I’ve seen on Bears/Denimio/Rakuten but it feels a little slick to me (especially when compared to the Warehouse website which is more typically Japanese). Thank you!
ended up ordering a couple of sweats
and they arrived a week later (Japan -> Sydney). Hope this adds to the communal knowledge!

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we're counting stores that integrate proxy services into their web design then store.w-river.com (Western River/West Ride) and toys-mccoys.shop-pro.jp both use World Shipping, I've found this very reliable. Also, your regional Real McCoy's retailer will be more than happy to special order anything in stock at therealmccoys.jp for you ;)

EDIt: klaxon-store.jp... ran by the owners of The Strike Gold
Do you know if it's possible to order tax-free from Western River?

elongatedskull

Reaction score
For the sake of knowledge, what experience do you guys have with putting loopwheeled gear in the dryer?
Fwiw I gave a couple of Warehouse sweatshirts to my wife, they fit her far better than me, and she's gone away for a month so I inspected a few of her garments. One of them has evidently went through the dryer at least once and it is brittle, the interior texture is rough and the exterior almost feels like a twill, so it is now kind of a prickly twill smock. On the flipside my Warehouse tees have been inadvertently dried and are still impeccable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads