• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Arrogant, I don't think you read this entire thread.
I agree with all points you listed, but they didn't really apply to me, on this particular night.
My pictures indicated: low/mid rise, pressed pants, pants hanging low off my waist, fitted shirts, 7 in. chest/waist drop, slim cut pants)
I agree that "golf pant" patterns are associated with "old man".

I have edited the above picture to show where my belly button lies. Pants not even close to it.

No, I most certainly have not read most of the thread. I read the original post and a small handful of others. Then I look at the pictures and just offered some thoughts off the top of my head. If they've already been addressed, then so be it. I'm just shooting from the hip and calling it like I see it. If your look that night was anything like the looks pictured on this thread (and one would assume it couldn't have been too different), then yes, I'd say you were in quasi-old man territory. Mainly for the reasons I articulated.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread.

If other men are at the bar and looking young in sport coats and Mabitex, then it could be (a) you are wrong to give this person's advice a second thought or (b) you don't look young in sport coats and Mabitex. If (a) it was an even bigger mistake to start a thread on the question. (b) could be true in a lot of ways. Maybe you don't smile enough, or tell enough jokes, to not look old and sober in those clothes at that setting. Or something like that. It is possible that this look does not complement some combination of your charm, your physique, etc., the way it does the other young guys in the bar. You can't expect forumites to be so helpful when we don't have all the information. You have to put two and two together. We can't do it for you.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
AB, even with regards to the above picture, only 1 of your 7 reasons applies. (checked tie may look old)
PS: ****, now I'm all dressed up at 7pm, with nowhere to go.

Dude, don't start these threads if you're not receptive to feedback. You have a long history of doing this. It gets tiresome.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you read the thread, I was more than receptive to ACCURATE advice & discussion.
(Loose jacket, long jacket, dress slacks, dress shoes ...all contribute to "old" for some women)

However, none of your observations applied here:
1) They are mid-rise pants (11") worn low at the hips.
2) The shirt has been slimmed significantly.
3) Pants are pressed. Granted, shirt is neither pressed or rumpled.
4) Body type = trim. 40 chest. 33 Waist.
5) I'm standing straight up
6) Solid pants and shirt. Granted, checks in the tie only.
7) Slim cut, flat front Mabitex. (Any slimmer, and they have no use outside of a 2-d magazine)

chrisb0109

Reaction score
AB, even with regards to the above picture, only 1 of your 7 reasons applies. (checked tie may look old)
PS: ****, now I'm all dressed up at 7pm, with nowhere to go.

Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Certain things are going to evoke the "old man" look right off the bat, and I see at least a few of these in your pics:

- High-rise pants worn at or near the natural waist*

May be not, but in the case, your body plus mid-rise pants looks sloppy. If you were thinner, it would work better. Low-rise pants on anyone who is not extremely thin just looks sloppy and suburban.

- Baggy or ill-tucked shirts

check.

- Crumpling and wrinkling in general, and/or materials more naturally prone to such effects

check. Pant line at rear looks like there is something heavy it it.

- Body type (in your case -- and I mean no particular offense by this -- you are a little bit pudgy around the middle and have sloping shoulders; these will make almost any tailored clothes appear "old" to an extent)

I can't tell what your physique is, and when thats the case, the assumption is pudgy.

- Slouching or slumping posture

Maybe a little

- Fabric and pattern choices (houndstooth, tweed, checks, etc., are very tough to pull off if you're looking to avoid old-manishness)

I don't think those fabrics always say old man, but your fabric and color choices say "I have to get dressed up to go to work". Its a lot harder to look young and fashionable with minimal basics. Usually, it will just look generic (as in office worker).

- Full-cut trousers, especially if cut generously around the hips or if pleated

Your pants may be slim fit, but they don't appear slim. It doesn't matter what they say they are.

Thats more than one.

NattyIce

Reaction score
You need some color in your outfit and a better fitting/better SC. SC is meh + softer shoulders would look better in this environment and in general. The coat makes you look much larger/ old manish than you are and the colors are old manish and bland

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I've been following this thread with great interest. In fact, I returned a recently-bought pair of chinos because they were too loose and brought my other pair to be tailored.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After re-reading this entire thread I can say with all confidence that you need to gather all of your "old man" attire into a big garbage bag right now and toss it to the curb. It's over. Start over. And bring your friend along to shop for you, as she clearly knows best. She'll have you looking like a young hip cat again in no time. Like this guy:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NattyIce
You need some color in your outfit and a better fitting/better SC. SC is meh + softer shoulders would look better in this environment and in general. The coat makes you look much larger/ old manish than you are and the colors are old manish and bland
Natty, I absolutely agree about colors. Can you recommend more interesting jacket styles/colors without encroaching into "1970s golf pant" territory? Outside of conservative office wear, I only have some purple ties, knit ties, and lavender shirts. I just scored 2 Brioni Grenadines (pink & golden) I also concluded this yesterday:
Ace, while I am not trying to be fashion forward, this thread has been a good wake-up call to separating work and play. Like I said above, I am happy with how my work clothes are steadily evolving. I have done a full overhaul of my closet. Boring. Conservative. Trim fit. But sharp. In 9 months: shell cordovan shoes, slim fit slacks, nice belts, tailored/trim shirts, whole new tie collection (and now mostly at 3-3.25) I deliberately dress conservatively/boring/sharp/traditional. This means dark slacks, shell cordovan dress shoes, solid oxford shirts, and a striped/solid/knit tie. Someone made a good point: I am generally wearing formal office attire, and might consider dressing it down a bit for social occasions. (Like jeans with a blazer, not slacks) As I said previously, I am NOT trying to dress hip/flashy/20s. That said, I just don't want to look older than I am. Otherwise, my wardrobe is evolving in the exact direction I want. And yes, context is big. At work, no one would say I look "old". Everyone is dressed like "adults", which is what I am going for in and out of the office It's important to note the jacket was the main ill-fitting item here. While the pictures are deceptive, my pants and shirts are actually a decent fit (while still being functional). This is what I have focused on. Not the jacket. Perhaps b/c it's a bigger ticket item, costlier alteration, I don't own many, and its less of an exact science. It's probably time to explore a new "go to" blazer, and one that I will invest into making the right alterations. That is, once I learn how I actually want it to look/fit.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re-evolving; the problem is that you are trying to treat the concept of dressing better like a mathematical algorithm i.e. as long as i have solid colors, "slim fit" pants etc etc on, i should look good.

That works if you have a lot of money to get great tailors and or stylists to whom you can defer your stylistic choices, as well as leveraging their experience.

For the average man/woman, you need to at first understand your physique, understand what works and doesnt work for you, learn a lot about the rules and SLOWLY define your PERSONAL style. It is not easy, but it is doable.

If you stop treating the concept of dressing better like an algebraic formula and start developing your personal style, you will truly re-evolve, and threads like these may no longer be necessary.

Good luck.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dawg, Thanks for the feedback, but I respectfully disagree. The definition of dressing well starts with algorithms. As we say on SF... "Proper fit is #1" Well, how do you define that? Do you wear pants that are 5 inches too long? No, you hem them. Well, did you tell the tailor how long to make the pants? Or was it random? (Hint: Algorithm) Do you wear shirts that are XXXXXL with the shoulder seam hanging to your elbow? Why not? (Hint: Algorithm) Do you randomly buy belts and shoes? No, b/c you have an algorithm dictating proper fit. Do you ever wear green socks, green pants, green shirt, and green tie...all at once? Do you wear plaid pants, plaid shirts, plaid jackets, and plaid ties ....all at once? Nope, b/c you have an algorithm against excessive matching. I don't expect to be considered "dandy" by wearing properly fitting clothing. My personal style has evolved over a period of 9 months, not overnight, and is still evolving. Low rise, flat front, slim fit pants and tailored shirts, indeed, are indeed my personal, algorithmic style. And this is precisely a result of dressing for my athletic/trim body style. Also part of my personal style are ties, belts, dress shoes, and sometimes, blazers. By the way, after more rumination, I disagree that lack of colors imply "old man". In fact, it's quite the opposite. Old men often have loud patterns, and too many colors. Who says they look like old men?
1izn86.jpg
Hugh+Jackman+Black+Suit.jpg
suit-savile-row.jpg
Update: The girl in question says this about #1 (Clooney)
Does #1 look "old man"? actually kind of to me the jacket looks a little too big and the crease in the pants looks farty

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cliff's notes of every Reevolving advice-seeking threak as follows:

Reevolving: Hey guys, please give me feedback about X that I just bought / am wearing.

The Crowd: We suggest a few changes and substitutions for the following reasons...

Reevolving: You're wrong, so too bad! I'm sticking with X.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Dawg, Slim fit pants and fitted shirts ARE my personal style. As are ties and dress shoes. And blazers.
Sorry, but 1/2 of SF is all about algorithmic fit. The other half is about blindly following the other half.
Jacket length is a great example. In case you missed it, short "female" jackets are now cool.

This is almost comical. Where what ever you want, but don't ***** when people don't like it. If you aren't interested in opinions, why are you asking?

By the way, speaking of lack of colors, who says he looks like an old man?
After more rumination, I don't think lack of colors imply "old man".
1izn86.jpg
Hugh+Jackman+Black+Suit.jpg

He looks like an old man ( the one on the left ). If this is the look you find stylish, you are basically achieving it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads