• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting Wardrobe, KINDA know what I like, need advice.

Reaction score
SO my work is pretty casual, and I usually just wear some Uniqlo shirts and chinos here, and I'm basically fine with it.

Outside work, I'm usually just doing jeans and more casual plaid buttondowns or tshirts. Also fine, though I'd like to find more shirts I like.

The main thing I'm really lacking in though is anything more formal, like for weddings or interviews or whatever. I don't have a super high budget, but here's what I've been looking at:

https://dappered.com/2015/02/in-review-suit-supplys-lazio-fit/ I love this suit, especially the color. Is it too bright to really be used for many formal occasions? I don't really care about "rules" as far as like, "fashion people" knowing something is wrong, I just don't know if that's too bold or something and I should get something more neutral first/in addition. (even just 1 will take some saving up).

For shoes, Allen Edmonds seemed like the most recc'd place at the apex point of cost and quality, and I like the park ave's in Dark Chili.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...y-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html
http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...y-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html
Would these go fine with that above suit? Anywhere I can find a cheaper belt that goes well enough with these?

Now shirts and ties I'm much more in the dark about. I have seen Luxire recommended a lot for people on a budget, and they look good, but I don't know what "basics" I'd want. Obviously at least 1 white shirt, but I don't know what would be a standard thing to get for suit-wear as far as like, which "style" to go with: https://custom.luxire.com/collections/shirts/products/lusterous-fine-white

And ties, i don't know if Tie Bar is seen as cheap stuff to avoid or what. I really much prefer the look of textures ties to the more silky shiny stuff, fwiw. But then I dunno if that looks to casual or something? And I'm less into like, the whole red "power tie" thing or whatever. I live on Capitol Hill and see lots of dudes in khakis/blue blazers/red ties and it's a much more preppy look than I want to go for. Obviously I want to dress up but some of that stuff seems more "square" than I want I think?

EDIT: oh lastly, I have a few watches, usually on NATO straps but I have a couple of the leather straps that came with a couple of them. In a weddings/interviews style scenario, is there a faux pas about wearing a black-strapped watch with brown shoes/belt? Or should one also try to match those?

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the Lazio is not interview-ready because the texture pulls it away from the conservative part of the spectrum. The Napoli shown to its right would work, however.

Allen Edmonds is often recommended because they are readily available to see in person and try on by US clients, they have frequent sales (not to mention a shoebank dedicated to selling factory seconds), and they're a (mostly) made in USA, goodyear-welted shoe. If you're paying full retail for AE, I'd look at other brands like Carmina, Justin Fitzpatrick, or Carlos Santos. At AE shoebank pricing, I'd also look at Meermin. AE is a perfectly serviceable shoe, but you can find better styling elsewhere.

Dark chili is acceptable depending on what field you may be interviewing in. Black is the standard, but I don't find many occasions to wear black shoes. For a belt, just wear your shoes to the mall and find a belt that matches the best. I'm not big on spending a ton of money for a belt, but AE makes belts that match their shoes in color and pattern. Pretty much any company offering good shoes will offer belts as well if you want to shop elsewhere.
-----

White, light blue, striped dress shirts are a good start. Putthison has a primer though with more quantity than I'm guessing you'll need. I'd start with white and light blue, non french cuff, non button-down if you're going to wear them with a suit. Read here: http://putthison.com/post/58248230722/the-basic-shirt-wardrobe-i-recently-accepted-that

If you can find shirts that fit your criteria (once you decide what you want) off the rack, I'd start there. Better and cheaper than spending money to get the measurements right (which could take multiple iterations) with Luxire. Spread collar shirts with an athletic cut are tricky for me to find OTR so I plan to fill out my wardrobe with Luxire items in the future.
-----

I'll defer again to PTO for ties: http://putthison.com/post/5802225399/the-necktie-series-part-iii-starting-your

I'll add Chipp Neckwear and Conrad Wu for tie makers to look at. You can also thrift on ebay.
-----

I wouldn't wear a watch with a black strap if I'm wearing brown shoes and a brown belt. Nor would I wear a NATO strap with a coat and tie (linen/seersucker excepted). But that's just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads