1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Oct 13, 2010.

1. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

Well, that's the irony of the year then,
    b/c everything I know about clothing, I've learned from SF in the last 9 months !
    (And books by Flusser, Manton, Vass, Roetzel, et al)

I'm not trying to be fashionable, hip, or younger than I am.
    Recall the subtitle of Flusser's "Dressing the Man" book.
    That is the driving principle of this entire thread.

again ... everything you learn from all those books, SF etc should be used in context to your physique and personal style. you act like you don't spend a second in WAYWRN. if you don't maybe you should. there are people older than you, who dress better than you ... with no attempt to look older or younger.

if you like it the way you, then don't make a thread. i can see a Millionaire Teacher meltdown coming soon.

clothes have to FIT ... and your clothes DONT.

2. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^+1, I dont care whether those pants are Incotex or Mabitex slim ones. They dont fit YOU and thats the bottomline. A lot of members wear trousers which are looser but fall and look much better

3. essej

essej Well-Known Member

4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

For your reference, here's what a model in a slim-fitting Zara suit looks like:

[​IMG]

And this is what you look like:

[​IMG]

Note that the Zara look by no means is unattainable IRL, as you previously hinted at. In fact, that is how most young men in suits look like in this neck of the woods.

5. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

clothes have to FIT ... and your clothes DONT.

Holy shit, this statement alone should be reposted as many hundreds of times as is necessary to get Reevolving to shut up and listen.

Reevolving: I don't care if Flusser told you to wear X. When he told you to wear X, he assumed you'd be wearing a well-fitting version of X. Fit is everything. You can't blame Flusser, Roetzel, this board, or anyone else for your sartorial failures anymore than you can blame a cookbook for a recipe you didn't follow properly.

Good style starts with good fit. All the Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, Edward Green, etc. in the world won't save you from poor fit. Get thee to a tailor and stop trolling this board.

The biggest problem with your "algorithm" is that the individual is a variable, not a constant. You need to adjust for you.

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

7. voxsartoria

[​IMG]

Maybe going bespoke could help.

[​IMG]

- B

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

It's
    because
    you
    learned
    about
    clothes
    from
    Men's
    Clothing

and
    never
    developed
    your
    own
    sense
    of
    style
    or
    taste

Ahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahah.

9. voxsartoria

^^+1, I dont care whether those pants are Incotex or Mabitex slim ones. They dont fit YOU and thats the bottomline. A lot of members wear trousers which are looser but fall and look much better

[​IMG]

- B

10. colins

colins Senior member

It's
    because
    you
    learned
    about
    clothes
    from
    Men's
    Clothing

and
    never
    developed
    your
    own
    sense
    of
    style
    or
    taste

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

I couldn't have put it better myself! A picture says more than a thousand words.

12. Schorsch

Schorsch Senior member

Again, as I mentioned few posts earlier effectively this is endorsing the slim fit look that many on here consider "douchebaggy" or too GQ. Admit it, everyone on here furtively likes what GQ offers [​IMG]

No, there is a world of difference between the fit of the OP's jacket and the GQ slim/skinny fit. Within that world lies a good fit.

In this pic:
    [​IMG]

The fit looks similar to this older gentleman:
    [​IMG]

What you're looking for is something closer to this fit:

[​IMG]

The key to me is the waist suppression. If you have this, you have a more youthful silhouette.

I guarantee you that he is comfortable, his clothes are not skin- or GQ-tight, and his wife is a thousand times hotter than the woman at the bar.

13. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Funny, I actually think TC above looks more like the old man picture above than I do. (It's the old man colors and patterns) LOVE those shoes, though..
    Yes, we've agreed that my jacket it not waist suppressed.
    I believe neither my jacket and pants are quite as baggy as the red pocketsquare old man above (jacket protruding at the legs, particuarly)
    I will take a picture of my jacket actually buttoned, b/c its a difficult comparison otherwise.

In terms of pants and shirts, we can disagree about how much room there is left for fine tuning. Yes, an inch off the waist. Maybe the shirts taken another inch in. But that's about it. Otherwise, my pants and shirts fit me pretty snugly, and I'm not going any slimmer. I wear clothing to an actual job that involves movement and sitting, not to my living room webcam. Big difference. I have a distinct feeling the people who are claiming my pants and shirt are too big have not taken a picture of themselves in a very long time.

That Zara suit looks great. It has that short female length that is now "cool" on SF. (That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago) Almost too great, in fact. I'd have to actually try the Zara fit become making a conclusion, but based on how tight my pants and shirts already fit, and the way that translates to photos, I truly don't think that model can do anything but stand there. If he sat down, I'd be the entire suit would explode or serve as a tourniquet.

The "bespoke" jacket above looks like an awful fit, and reinforces my point. He might look good standing there for a camera, but the minute he actually moves? ....Game over. If his arms attained horizontal, his jacket would tear. Useless jacket IRL.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

his wife is a thousand times hotter than the woman at the bar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just sayin.

15. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

Funny, I actually think TC above looks more like the old man picture above than I do. (It's the old man colors and patterns) LOVE those shoes, though..
    Yes, we've agreed that my jacket it not waist suppressed.
    I believe neither my jacket and pants are quite as baggy as the red pocketsquare old man above (jacket protruding at the legs, particuarly)
    I will take a picture of my jacket actually buttoned, b/c its a difficult comparison otherwise.

In terms of pants and shirts, we can disagree about how much room there is left for fine tuning. Yes, an inch off the waist. Maybe the shirts taken another inch in. But that's about it. Otherwise, my pants and shirts fit me pretty snugly, and I'm not going any slimmer. I wear clothing to an actual job that involves movement and sitting, not to my living room webcam. Big difference. I have a distinct feeling the people who are claiming my pants and shirt are too big have not taken a picture of themselves in a very long time.

That Zara suit looks great. It has that short female length that is now "cool" on SF. (That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago) Almost too great, in fact. I'd have to actually try the Zara fit become making a conclusion, but based on how tight my pants and shirts already fit, and the way that translates to photos, I truly don't think that model can do anything but stand there. If he sat down, I'd be the entire suit would explode or serve as a tourniquet.

The "bespoke" jacket above looks like an awful fit, and reinforces my point. He might look good standing there for a camera, but the minute he actually moves? ....Game over. If his arms attained horizontal, his jacket would tear. Useless jacket IRL.

You are poorly dressed, and will always look like shit because you can't take advice and lack the ability to recognize that you lack taste at the moment.

16. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Just sayin.

No offence but there was no need to drag Mrs.KB into this.

17. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I think we can wind down this discussion after this next picture. Shirt: A $120 MTM shirt from CEGO. I agree with everyone on the form. As with other shirts, it looks much baggier than it feels. If I want to look like a magazine, I probably need to get it altered again, but I am not sure how much slimmer it can be while still being functional. (writing with a pen, etc) Pants: The pants are 10" low rise slim fit, hanging off my hips. My belly button is above that bottom button. If you wear slimmer/lower all the power to you. But, I can't go any slimmer than this. I actually have to sit in these. This is as good as it gets for me. You must consider that the pocket opening flare makes the pants look deceptively wide in 2D. Jacket: Agreed, this Canali is not flattering at all, in any way. To me, it looks even worse when buttoned. I will need to figure out what parameters to work with on my next jacket. (You need to say more than "make it slim", esp. with an old tailor) I have not spent time developing knowledge about jacket fit ...as I have on pants and shirt fit. My belly button is 1cm below the top button. Where should it be? As you know, recognizing something that looks good (Like the Zara suit above) vs. knowing how to specify how to get that look are very very different concepts. I also think a jacket makes you look shorter, as there is much more grey "leg line" without the jacket. Thanks again to those who have offered accurate & constructive advice. [​IMG]

18. HPress

HPress Senior member

I think we can settle this discussion after the next picture.

Shirt:
    #1 has my $120 MTM shirt from CEGO.
    While it feels reasonably snug when wearing it, I think it looks bad in this picture.
    I probably need to get it altered again.

Pants:
    The pants are 10" low rise slim fit, hanging off my hips.
    If you wear slimmer/lower all the power to you.
    But, I don't go any slimmer than this. I actually have to sit in these.

Jacket: Agreed, not flattering at all.
    Looks even worse when buttoned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No offence but thank you for dragging Mrs. TC into this.

FTFY - look at the bright side!

20. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

(That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago)
    That's what makes it trendy and youthful, isn't it? The departures from timeless style or even from last year's trends.