• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honest question: anyone in this thread had a suitsupply suit last, reliably and with regular wear, beyond 5 years say? I have purchased six suits from them. I'm in the process of reworking my suit wardrobe, but long story short, I had an issue with each and every one I've bought from suitsupply except one (which I sadly hardly wear). I would say I wore them pretty hard -- never two days in a row, always hanging and brushing after each use, etc. Yet each one seems to have its own issues (stitches falling out, fabric wearing out or developing an ugly sheen, fabric discoloration [might be dry cleaning issue], list goes on). I've enjoyed wearing them and I think they look good, but I'm just not so sure about longevity.

I was thinking about where my professional wardrobe is headed this morning, and it hit me that I can't justify giving this company any more money. I have saved enough over the pandemic for either two good bespoke suits (Solito probably) or three good MTM (Orazio Luciano), and I won't lie: it irks me that it has taken THIS long to get it done (the pandemic, plus Orazio Luciano trunk show being cancelled last month on the last day I was in NYC through no fault of theirs). It dawned on me that I could just go get ten suits from SuitSupply at that price, but I really feel like I'd be repeating the same mistakes I made from 2014-2017 even getting one.
If you get more than even 3 years from a OTR suit that you wear regularly (assuming twice/week) than you should be very happy.
What you describe is not a SS quality issue but any garment will eventually reach its end of life regardless of price.

notdos

Reaction score
If you get more than even 3 years from a OTR suit that you wear regularly (assuming twice/week) than you should be very happy.
What you describe is not a SS quality issue but any garment will eventually reach its end of life regardless of price.

This ^

Jlee80

Reaction score
Honest question: anyone in this thread had a suitsupply suit last, reliably and with regular wear, beyond 5 years say? I have purchased six suits from them. I'm in the process of reworking my suit wardrobe, but long story short, I had an issue with each and every one I've bought from suitsupply except one (which I sadly hardly wear). I would say I wore them pretty hard -- never two days in a row, always hanging and brushing after each use, etc. Yet each one seems to have its own issues (stitches falling out, fabric wearing out or developing an ugly sheen, fabric discoloration [might be dry cleaning issue], list goes on). I've enjoyed wearing them and I think they look good, but I'm just not so sure about longevity.

I was thinking about where my professional wardrobe is headed this morning, and it hit me that I can't justify giving this company any more money. I have saved enough over the pandemic for either two good bespoke suits (Solito probably) or three good MTM (Orazio Luciano), and I won't lie: it irks me that it has taken THIS long to get it done (the pandemic, plus Orazio Luciano trunk show being cancelled last month on the last day I was in NYC through no fault of theirs). It dawned on me that I could just go get ten suits from SuitSupply at that price, but I really feel like I'd be repeating the same mistakes I made from 2014-2017 even getting one.
Interesting you wrote this as I have finally come to this realization as well. SuitSupply & Spier have both served me well over the years but as time and taste evolve, so does my preference for a higher standard of suiting. Just met up with a local guy today who set me up with some custom suits that I’m feeling really good about! Looking forward to to reporting back the results.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
If you bought a suit 5-6 years ago for ~$500-600 from SS (or anyone for that matter) and you're disappointed that it hasn't got much more life in it, then you probably need to reassess your expectations rather than question SuitSupply would be my take.

Never said I was disappointed. I'd absolutely agree with you under normal circumstances, but my point is this: Suitsupply *feels* like it is better quality than, say, Jcrew for example. When you get down to brass tacks, perhaps it isn't -- both made in China by machine, etc etc. But using cloths from VBC and various other notable makers, it certainly felt as if I could get 10+ years out of my suits from S/S when I picked them up back in 2013-2014. Such is not the case is my only point. I still think they are a tremendous value in some circumstances, albeit a horrendous company (in my experience) to deal with...

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Interesting you wrote this as I have finally come to this realization as well. SuitSupply & Spier have both served me well over the years but as time and taste evolve, so does my preference for a higher standard of suiting. Just met up with a local guy today who set me up with some custom suits that I’m feeling really good about! Looking forward to to reporting back the results.

Same boat. I am in the market for probably three suits right now, and I am holding out for bespoke... with 0 ragrets. lulz.

steiger

Reaction score
I bought an MTM suit from SuitSupply a couple of months ago.
As many others I’v had troubles with the trousers as they are too skinny but the EU50 jacket fits me well with minor tweaks. We dropped the collar slightly and took up the sleeves a bit.
I wanted high waisted trousers with side tabs and instead of tweaking the normal 50 pant that comes with the jacket the saleswoman gave me size 102 pants and we took in the waist quite a bit, let out the crotch, let them out at the hips and upper thighs and did the correct length.
Next fitting we hemmed them a little more and took in the waist a bit more. First experience was great for me and I now have a very good fitting suit.
Just a couple of weeks ago I then tried to replicate the suit trough the website with some of my own adjustments on the online measurements. For me it always takes a few days of wears to really feel in the suit and the fit. This time (online) I took in the waist 1cm on the jacket, waist -1cm on the trousers and lengthened them abit. The measurements were saved on my profile from the first commission. Just got it in the mail this week and it fits just as great as the other one so for me this was a great experience.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Just got it in the mail this week and it fits just as great as the other one so for me this was a great experience.

This is good to know. My only SS MTM suit fits at about a 9/10. I've considered ordering another one online with a couple of adjustments, but have hesitated as I didn't know how it would turn out. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience.

I can hardly stand to be in the same room with the salesmen at my store, so I can't bring myself to go back in person. They did do a good job measuring me up and all, but a worse customer service experience would be impossible to imagine (see my post from several pages ago).

I'm still vacillating between SS and Oliver Wicks for my next suit. May be I'll just have to get both...you know....for comparison's sake.....

Jlee80

Reaction score
This is good to know. My only SS MTM suit fits at about a 9/10. I've considered ordering another one online with a couple of adjustments, but have hesitated as I didn't know how it would turn out. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience.

I can hardly stand to be in the same room with the salesmen at my store, so I can't bring myself to go back in person. They did do a good job measuring me up and all, but a worse customer service experience would be impossible to imagine (see my post from several pages ago).

I'm still vacillating between SS and Oliver Wicks for my next suit. May be I'll just have to get both...you know....for comparison's sake.....
I find their sales people to be pretty insufferable. I’ve literally had different salespeople give me two different answers on the same product in the same visit. I think if you know exactly what you need you’re probably better off doing it online.

Davidos

Reaction score
I'm planning to order a pair of Custom made trousers online. Feels to good to be true that they still can offer free returns even if a garment is made based on my measurements...

nevaeh

Reaction score
I'm planning to order a pair of Custom made trousers online. Feels to good to be true that they still can offer free returns even if a garment is made based on my measurements...
They’ll take them back. Why are you nervous that you might have to return? Sizing? Fabric?

Davidos

Reaction score
They’ll take them back. Why are you nervous that you might have to return? Sizing? Fabric?
My measurements... I have some from an in store order a couple of years ago that I've updated. But you never know how it will turn out ;)

Do anyone have experience with E.Thomas pure cotton that they offer? Is it very light and thin? I'm thinking of order a pair of navy cotton trousers (1982/339).

A-Lawson

Reaction score
My measurements... I have some from an in store order a couple of years ago that I've updated. But you never know how it will turn out ;)

Do anyone have experience with E.Thomas pure cotton that they offer? Is it very light and thin? I'm thinking of order a pair of navy cotton trousers (1982/339).
If you want trousers to retain its color and look crisp, I would advice against getting dark-colored cotton trousers.
The Navy 4-ply wool fabric that is currently available would be much more hard-wearing and retain its color way better.

Davidos

Reaction score
If you want trousers to retain its color and look crisp, I would advice against getting dark-colored cotton trousers.
The Navy 4-ply wool fabric that is currently available would be much more hard-wearing and retain its color way better.
I would agree that wool will retain color better. But since I mostly wear shirt jackets and knitwear… a pair of cotton trousers will suit me better. Navy wool trousers doesn’t feel right as an odd trouser IMO.
Thank you for input anyways

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads