• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacGuffen

Reaction score

MacGuffen:
(...)
Finally, try them with a tie. It makes a world of difference in evaluating how a jacket will actually look.

Thanks so much, Coldsalmon. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll provide more and hopefully better pictures tomorrow, with a tie.

On the topic of fit, I think my problem is that I have narrow shoulders, small waist and relatively wide hips (skinny fat-ish build). And my big head doesn't help. So if I size down, the shoulders are right, but I get an hourglass shape in the suit. I feel the Napoli camouflages that to a degree. I think you may be correct that I could size down to 44 in the Napoli, but I'm not sure I would even be able to put on the pants for that size.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Coldsalmon. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll provide more and hopefully better pictures tomorrow, with a tie.

On the topic of fit, I think my problem is that I have narrow shoulders, small waist and relatively wide hips (skinny fat-ish build). And my big head doesn't help. So if I size down, the shoulders are right, but I get an hourglass shape in the suit. I feel the Napoli camouflages that to a degree. I think you may be correct that I could size down to 44 in the Napoli, but I'm not sure I would even be able to put on the pants for that size.

My pleasure, MacGuffen.

If that's the case, it sounds like you may have to get a tailor involved. I am an "easy fit" for suits, so I don't have much input on that score. I would guess that you should try to get the shoulders right and then tailor everything else, but I'm out of my league here. Based on your photos, you look "normal" to me in those suits. I think that the Napoli has less waist suppression than the other Suitsupply fits, which may be one reason that you like it. Every time I get a jacket they always offer to take in the waist for me, but I think they are already quite slim enough, even too slim for my taste sometimes.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some preliminary front photos for now. Which do you think fits best? I'm leaning towards the Napoli since it gives me some (much needed) broader shoulders. All are size 46 (European).
LL
LL
LL
Comparison pic if someone is wondering about which blue suit to choose. The York (left) is probably a true "navy" blue (almost black), but I find myself preferring the other two. Napoli Plain Blue middle and Sienna Plain Blue right. This was taken with an ipad so the colour isn't entirely accurate, but the pictures on the site are spot on, depending on your monitor. My aim was to illustrate that there's a fairly significant difference between the three blues.
I'd narrow the choices down to the Napoli and the York. Take them both a competent tailor and let him/her tell you which has the most potential for a perfect fit.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

Just chipping in my two cents, I would have to agree with coldsalmon in that the York looks the best to me out of the three as well. If you do have an hourglass shape, it's not obvious to my eye based on the pics you posted.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
An update on the suits. I'm going to return the Sienna. I like both the remaining suits, but I feel the Napoli has a more masculine cut, for me anyway. And since I already have a black suit, the navy-almost-black York seems redundant. But I'm still undecided, so if you have any questions or comments, I'm all ears.

I think the Napoli shoulders are the right size, I posted two pictures showing how they fit in relation to my shoulder and arm. In the second shoulder picture I'm touching my arm to give you an idea where the seam lies on my shoulder. In the wall test, the shoulder pads hit the wall almost at the same time as my shoulders, maybe 0,5 cm before.

Any comment on which suit or cut that fits me best? Please excuse the pictures, I took them alone, and the ancient digital camera was fighting me.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Napoli, the cut fits you better (at least, to me!)

coldsalmon

Reaction score
It looks like they both fit. I like clarinetplayer's suggestion of taking them both to a tailor. I suspect that will yield much more competent advice than asking SF forum goons based on photographs.

Keep in mind that black suits are disfavored among iGents:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/8221/is-black-suit-an-acceptable-business-attire
http://www.styleforum.net/t/365455/how-useful-is-a-black-suit

I have a black suit, purchased in my pre-SF days, which I now never wear. As you drink more of the SF kool-aid, you may eschew your black suit in favor of a dark navy or charcoal. Which is to say, a dark navy suit does not overlap with a black suit; at least not according to SF.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

coldsalmon

Reaction score
The York is not black. It is a true, dark, Navy blue.
Both suits look workable. A competent tailor could give the definitive answer.
The York seems to drape more naturally on your body.
CP: I was responding to the comment, "And since I already have a black suit, the navy-almost-black York seems redundant." I should have quoted for reference.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An update on the suits. I'm going to return the Sienna. I like both the remaining suits, but I feel the Napoli has a more masculine cut, for me anyway. And since I already have a black suit, the navy-almost-black York seems redundant. But I'm still undecided, so if you have any questions or comments, I'm all ears. I think the Napoli shoulders are the right size, I posted two pictures showing how they fit in relation to my shoulder and arm. In the second shoulder picture I'm touching my arm to give you an idea where the seam lies on my shoulder. In the wall test, the shoulder pads hit the wall almost at the same time as my shoulders, maybe 0,5 cm before. Any comment on which suit or cut that fits me best? Please excuse the pictures, I took them alone, and the ancient digital camera was fighting me.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
The York seems to have more natural drape over your body. I'm sure the Napoli can be tailored, also. Your competent tailor will all the answers.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An update on the suits. I'm going to return the Sienna. I like both the remaining suits, but I feel the Napoli has a more masculine cut, for me anyway. And since I already have a black suit, the navy-almost-black York seems redundant. But I'm still undecided, so if you have any questions or comments, I'm all ears. I think the Napoli shoulders are the right size, I posted two pictures showing how they fit in relation to my shoulder and arm. In the second shoulder picture I'm touching my arm to give you an idea where the seam lies on my shoulder. In the wall test, the shoulder pads hit the wall almost at the same time as my shoulders, maybe 0,5 cm before. Any comment on which suit or cut that fits me best? Please excuse the pictures, I took them alone, and the ancient digital camera was fighting me. Napoli front
LL
York front
LL
I think both fit you well based on the pics. Which one feels more comfortable when you move around?

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! It's very useful to get some second opinions.

@coldsalmon Yes, a black suit is not very versatile indeed. I suppose what I meant to say was that I prefer the brighter (petrol?) blue of the Napoli over the York, probably because it's clearly different from what I already have and from the standard navy that everyone else wears. And that the only disadvantage the Napoli has versus the York (or a navy suit in general) would be that it's not appropriate for funerals, but that it's ok because I already have a black (admittedly cheap) suit for that.

But then again I wanted a staple suit, and a staple suit either navy or charcoal. I just wish the York was a tiny bit more... blue. I might look at the Napoli navy for that, but it seems like less value than the $100 cheaper Napoli plain blue. The €259 Napolis are just absolute steals.

Sorry, I'm rambling, I'll just have to figure out what I want. :)

@bellyhungry While both suits pass the hug test and feel OK, the York definitely feels better and less restrictive, perhaps because of its wider chest? I get slightly more pulling at the shoulders with the Napoli when hugging and raising the arms. The pants of the York are also slightly better, but both pants will have to be tailored anyway.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads