Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I visited the Chicago location this past weekend and picked up this Lazio Linen Suit (38R) for a wedding I'm attending down in Mississippi:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...=Suits&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer

The linen is soft without feeling flimsy and the lining is thankfully breezier than their typical bemberg. I don't expect the fabric to be overly wrinkled up by the end of the night like with cheaper linen and will look right at home at a summer outdoor wedding.. The pattern is very subtle and can only really be seen closeup which I like. I really really wanted to a linen Soho or Madison DB suit but I had to be honest with myself knowing a year down the road, a DB suit might too much for my tastes. Plus I have athletics which only causes more problems.

The Lazio fits similarly to the Washington but I really wanted a notch lapel suit since I already own two Washingtons (38R). As far as alterations I had pant legs hemmed and slimmed just a tad from the knee down, waist taken in, and had the jacket taken at the center seam in back just slightly. My suit will be ready on Friday. Pics will follow.

Overall I've always had a great experience at Suitsupply. Their London location and Amsterdam Flagship store are awesome. The KEY is the sales reps are very helpful if you are seriously considering buying a suit. But if you're just browsing around then you run the risk of being ignored ha.

PS at the Chicago store, Zach and Jeremy are the only dudes I trust so make sure you see them first.

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys,

The consensus is that the measurements provided on the Suitsupply website are inaccurate, correct?

Thanks!

3. A-Mart

A-Mart Active Member

It's my understanding that the size advisor may not be correct, but most of the measurements are.

4. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

For me, the sizes have usually been reliable. However, I think they got the colour wrong on at least one of their Washingtons unless I am even more colourblind than I thought..

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Jeremy is the man! He knows how to provide great customer service.

6. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

i buy the havana as sports coats because the (tad) higher button and shorter length works fine in casual situations - with jeans and chinos.
    (for suits the lazio has similar overall fitting and perhaps a touch lower buttoning; same for la spalla)

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't mind the shortness, but I don't see how a high buttoning point makes a jacket more casual. I'd say that has more to with the fabric and patch pockets.

8. baghdatis

baghdatis New Member

In need of some advice. Was in NY for the weekend and went to the SS store on Madison Ave to try on suits for my own wedding. 38L Napoli is perfect in terms of the jacket, but the pants seem a bit snug. They didn't have the right color/size I wanted in the store so I ended up ordering it online and sending it home to Boston. I hoped that maybe with better underwear, I'd have a little more room with the pants but they still seem tight in the butt area (waist fits fine, but I'm a runner so my butt and thighs are what's creating the issue here).

Do I size up to a 40L and tailor the jacket down? (SS employee advised against it.) Keep the 38L and see if a good tailor can make the pants work? They mentioned the MTM option starting at $699, but it may be one too many trips to NY than my schedule would allow.

Wish they sold separates, but apparently it's only for the Napoli pinstriped model.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Don't size up the jacket, the shoulders would be too big. You can let out the waist and seat of the trousers a little, depending on how much extra material there is. Best thing to do would be to take the suit to a tailor and ask him before cutting of the tags.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

10. oranges

oranges Member

common common problem with the Napoli. I have the same problem and just did the Blue Line MTM which is based off the Napoli. It was $650 including all tailoring.

11. Crat

Crat Senior member

Just some fitpics, need dry cleaning though.

Napoli 38. Sleeves lengthened 1cm, trousers shortened.
    [​IMG]

Sienna 38. Jacket unaltered, trousers shortened.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

12. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

its not high - its a "tad" high, inline with the casualising and modern aesthetics of the overall length and shoulder build.

the havana SC cloth comes in all weights, patterns, and materials... as do the suits.

13. A-Mart

A-Mart Active Member

Which Washington?

14. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

15. jjzara

jjzara Member

I was at the store and I was gonna pull the trigger on this one the other day, as I also thought it was much more blue than grey, but as it turns out it really is grey, and I mean GREY, no blue(ish) hue in it at all.