Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TimNguyen

TimNguyen Well-Known Member

Okay so the experience. You go in. They pull out a bunch of swatches. You have your summer weights, all year and winter weights.

I only looked at the fully canvased suits. On the website it says starting $749 but that's mostly for cotton and linen materials. Get up to the Sienna fabrics (The $649-699 suits) and the mtm costs will be $899-$949 (s120). The next tier up from that is $1149 then $1239. I stopped after that because it was above my budget but i saw that it goes up to $1800.

I am going back next week to order the suit.

2. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

@coldsalmon Much obliged, those threads made for interesting reads. Locally available brands were only 'satisfactory', so suitsupply seems like decent value here.

I couldn't decide between the York, Napoli and Sienna.... So I ordered all three. :cool:

3. Aulis

Aulis Member

4. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Good idea, considering their good return policy. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I recently inquired Suit Supply customer care about their blue shawl lapel tuxedo not being available in my size (there's only 40 R left on the canadian website) and was replied that this particular model wasn't / wouldn't be available anymore.

For those of us looking for tuxedo options (I'm looking for a tux for my wedding in mid-July), I guess there's only the black peak lapel option available.

Wish they would offer a cream diner jacket with shawl lapel, or any other option, for that matter.

Just thought I'd let you guys know!

6. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

I asked customer service and they told me to go ahead and cut the vertical stitching on the inside of the breast pocket. I did so, and the jacket did not fall apart. My pocket squares can now stretch out and relax.

7. A-Mart

A-Mart Active Member

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I checked out a spalla suit and noticed some bad finishing. One shoulder was roped and the other draped naturally. A little overpriced at $1k. I think Samuelsohn is a better bet for an entry level fully canvassed suit.

I was very impressed with the value of the Washington suits though. Will likely pick one up.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've tried the blue windowpane. I like the lapels, but I don't like how short it is and the high button stance.

10. birdistheword

birdistheword Member

I have a $100 e-gift card from Suitsupply for sale and looking to sell it for $92. If anyone is interested please PM me.

SOLD

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

11. oranges

oranges Member

12. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Do anyone know how much you can increase/let out the back rise, thighs, hips etc on the pants?

I'm currently trying on the York, Napoli and Sienna, and while I'm pretty impressed by all the jackets, the pants are way too tight. For anyone else with the same problem, the Sienna is too tight to wear, the Napoli is tolerable and the York is slightly more tolerable.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

13. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Looks like they've just posted some new pre-order items. A pretty sweet Blue Sienna windowpane is one of them. Look out credit card...

14. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Some preliminary front photos for now. Which do you think fits best? I'm leaning towards the Napoli since it gives me some (much needed) broader shoulders. All are size 46 (European).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison pic if someone is wondering about which blue suit to choose. The York (left) is probably a true "navy" blue (almost black), but I find myself preferring the other two. Napoli Plain Blue middle and Sienna Plain Blue right. This was taken with an ipad so the colour isn't entirely accurate, but the pictures on the site are spot on, depending on your monitor. My aim was to illustrate that there's a fairly significant difference between the three blues.
    [​IMG]

15. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

MacGuffen:

It is difficult to say which is the best fit, since that mostly depends on the shoulders and I can't really tell where your real shoulder is. In my experience, I have sized down 2 inches in the Napoli (size 34R US whereas I normally wear a 36R in the other fits), because it is a roomier fit compared to others at Suitsupply. It looks like the shoulders of the Napoli are wider than the other suits, which leads me to believe that they may be too large on you, since the other suits do not look too small. Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of suits, the fit of the shoulders is the most important thing, since almost all other aspects can be tailored easily. The most common and glaring error that I see in men's suits is jackets that are too big in the shoulders. As soon as you start to move around, your jacket will look ridiculous if the shoulders are too big; you will look like you're a little kid wearing your Dad's suit, which is literally the opposite of the effect you are going for in a suit. All of which is to say, be very cautious of a shoulder that is too large. In my younger days, I bought several suits in size 38R which all looked fine to me until I tried smaller suits and realized how they were supposed to fit. Again, I can't really tell where your real shoulder is based on those pics, but my hunch is that the Napoli is too big. Your comment that it "gives you broad shoulders" raised a red flag for me as well. My rule of thumb these days is to keep sizing down until the jacket feels obviously too small, and then go up from there, usually only one size.

Try sitting down with your hands folded in front of you on a table. If there is a huge triangle of fabric popping out past your shoulder, the jacket is too big. The padded shoulders that are your friend when you are standing still like a robot will become your enemy when you start to move around.

I actually own that exact Napoli suit, but I now find myself wishing I had gone with a darker navy. The Napoli is right on the edge of being "blue" instead of "navy," and is a bit shiny (it also doesn't photograph well). It seems less formal than my very dark charcoal suit. I guess that this factor will depend on how formal/CBD you want this suit to be, and whether or not you already have a suit/suits to fill that role.

I can't stop looking at the ridiculous pockets on the Sienna. The ticket pocket is not so bad, but the fact that they are all slanted hacking pockets just looks silly to me. On a solid navy "city" suit, they seem incongruous and incoherent -- I think it is an ill-advised mix of country and city. There are a lot of threads about hacking pockets on SF, which you can find with the search function. They make for entertaining reading.

Of the three, I think the York looks best, in color, styling, and fit. The Napoli is probably too big in the shoulders, and the Sienna is too dandy-ish. I recall you saying that you are only going to wear it 2-3 times per year, so I assume that it will be for formal or business occasions.

I am not knowledgeable on other aspects of jacket fits, such as button stance, length, waist suppression, etc. That all looks fine to me. I would investigate the pinching in the waist around the top button with others who are more knowledgeable.

Finally, try them with a tie. It makes a world of difference in evaluating how a jacket will actually look.