• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One more of this awesome collar. My new goto. C21 Large Italian Full Spread. Also specified my first button position at 1.5”.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I know this is not directly S&M related, although I basically only tailor S&M clothes so...

Not asking what I should do, but rather what YOU would do

I use 2 tailors:
One is good, solid work but I always have to convince him to do what I want mostly and it gets a little old, he is nice, just a little rigid sometimes.
Affordable prices and fast. Pants hemming is $20, jacket sleeves $25, turnaround time is 1 week

Other tailor is great. Does what I want with his advice thrown in, work is near perfect, last time I didn't even have him look at the fit after work was done on pants because it was perfect.
His prices are higher, hemming is like $40, jacket sleeves $45 and he takes 3 weeks unless you pay like $20 for rush (1 week)

So if it was your clothes, time and money, which would you choose?
I'd have a very hard time paying $40 to get trousers hemmed. I did it once, but that was because I didn't know the price, and while the job was done very well, I just don't see the value in repeatedly doing that. Hemming is not rocket science and it's not particularly time consuming. I pay the equivalent to $12 for a straight hem.

View attachment 1188810

One more of this awesome collar. My new goto. C21 Large Italian Full Spread. Also specified my first button position at 1.5”.

Looks great so far. Can you take a jacketless pic of the collar, buttoned and unbuttoned please?

drfwtx

Reaction score
Any tailoring gurus have a suggestion? It’s certainly not something that makes me unusable, but my seersucker trousers were hemmed with a 1.5 inch cuff instead of the requested 2 inch cuff. Is there a way to achieve the 2 inch cuff without shortening the inseam any more?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tailoring gurus have a suggestion? It’s certainly not something that makes me unusable, but my seersucker trousers were hemmed with a 1.5 inch cuff instead of the requested 2 inch cuff. Is there a way to achieve the 2 inch cuff without shortening the inseam any more?

I think it depends on how the cuff was constructed. If the cloth was folded over it should be possible to unfold 0.5 inch within the cuff. I guess the tailor who did the cuffs should know.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look inside the trouser leg to determine how much extra fabric is left. Since the cuff is folded over you would need 1 inch to increase the cuff by 0.5” and then another 0.25” allowance to fold inside the leg. So if there is at least 1.25” left inside the leg then yes you can make the cuffs 2”.

drfwtx

Reaction score
Look inside the trouser leg to determine how much extra fabric is left. Since the cuff is folded over you would need 1 inch to increase the cuff by 0.5” and then another 0.25” allowance to fold inside the leg. So if there is at least 1.25” left inside the leg then yes you can make the cuffs 2”.
FD047C88-8C37-4AFC-B92A-6F7AD3E29186.gif

Sdig14

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need your help on my journey. Haven't posted a fit picture as this place can be pretty harsh, even if true, ha. But I will risk it. The first few pics are the Navy Fresco in 40 contemporary. Second ones are the light grey VBC fresco trousers. These I had tailored and think we went too far on the slim side as the pockets starting to bulge out a bit and a bit too slim in my thighs I think.

Other than of course shortening the navy pants and sleeves on suit jacket as I'm only 5'8, what else should I consider? I have tried the 40S contemporary, but find the jacket a hot short?

Apologies in advance for ghostly white feet and below average photography skills of my girlfriend. Makes it look like the pants are sitting lower than they are as she kind of was shooting photos downward a bit. Alright gentlemen, appreciate your thoughts and help. Be gentle.

View attachment 1169574

View attachment 1169575

View attachment 1169576

View attachment 1169577

View attachment 1169578

View attachment 1169579

View attachment 1169580

Hi guys,

So here is a follow up to the fit pics I posted about a month ago or so. Feedback I got was the 34 trousers in the navy fresco fit pretty well, some tailoring required. However, that the 40R jacket was too big, there was some bunching under the arm in the back which was not really something you could alter.

So, I tried a size lower, here are some fit pics from a 38S. I wore different colored pants so people could see how long the jacket is.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the 38S navy fresco:

In general, feels good in the shoulders still, I thought 40 felt a bit better. This jacket would need to be let out in the gut, not sure how much room there is to do this? Also, is the 38S too short? Should I try the 38R? There was no R at the time, so figured it would be a good time to try an S.

Attachments

• IMG_6247.JPEG
    IMG_6247.JPEG
    97 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6248.JPEG
    IMG_6248.JPEG
    111 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6249.JPEG
    IMG_6249.JPEG
    109 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6250.JPEG
    IMG_6250.JPEG
    108.2 KB · Views: 111

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So here is a follow up to the fit pics I posted about a month ago or so. Feedback I got was the 34 trousers in the navy fresco fit pretty well, some tailoring required. However, that the 40R jacket was too big, there was some bunching under the arm in the back which was not really something you could alter.

So, I tried a size lower, here are some fit pics from a 38S. I wore different colored pants so people could see how long the jacket is.

In general, feels good in the shoulders still, I thought 40 felt a bit better. This jacket would need to be let out in the gut, not sure how much room there is to do this? Also, is the 38S too short? Should I try the 38R? There was no R at the time, so figured it would be a good time to try an S.

Need same size but longer. Let out 2cm on the waist.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I think a 38R would be the right one for you. In the 38s there is a small shirt triangel below the buttoning point. With a 38r the buttoning point will be lower and it should also cover your rear. As riva said the waist might need to be let out. S&M customer support also gives good sizing advise via email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads