• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vasco

Reaction score

We hear the opposite and a lot of customer are asking for sleeve shortening. We're working on tweaking the sleeves slightly, and hopefully roll out multiple sleeves. For example, the 15 1/2 at the moment has a 35" sleeve. We will probably introduce a 33" and 36" as well, something along those lines.

Great idea Rick. I'm one of those people that find the sleeves much too long.

Beav

Reaction score

Great idea Rick. I'm one of those people that find the sleeves much too long.

Me too, a 33 inch sleeve for 15.5 shirt would be amazing. Even with paying for alterations the shirts are a great deal, this would be perfect for me if the shirts come with shorter sleeves.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on the side who finds the sleeves too short. I can use another 0.5 to 1 inch on the 15 neck. I'd gladly pay to shorten the sleeves, but there's no way to lengthen them. The longer, the better.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm on the side who finds the sleeves too short. I can use another 0.5 to 1 inch on the 15 neck. I'd gladly pay to shorten the sleeves, but there's no way to lengthen them. The longer, the better.

Just like the button debate there will be two sides to this: Too high or too low, too long or too short. Rick's goal of introducing varied lengths should spare us these discussions.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

!5.5 Contemp with 35.5 sleeves would probably be just right for me.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
!5.5 Contemp with 35.5 sleeves would probably be just right for me.

I don't think we'll do half sizes if we roll it out. haha. We're just not there yet. We're thinking we either go proper labeled sleeves, like 33, 34, etc, or similar to suits, we have a standard regular length, then a short and tall to compliment. Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards a proper sleeve, but that also rejigging our standard sleeves a bit, as right now 16 for example, has a 35.5" sleeve. We would get rid of the 35.5 and have a 35 and 36 in it's place.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think we'll do half sizes if we roll it out. haha. We're just not there yet. We're thinking we either go proper labeled sleeves, like 33, 34, etc, or similar to suits, we have a standard regular length, then a short and tall to compliment. Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards a proper sleeve, but that also rejigging our standard sleeves a bit, as right now 16 for example, has a 35.5" sleeve. We would get rid of the 35.5 and have a 35 and 36 in it's place.

Haha that's understandable. When my biggest concern is a 5" in a few places I'm doing quite well OTR. After all, custom is still an option.

Spex

Reaction score
Would offering more sleeve lengths either result in prices increasing or offering less styles? I was thrilled when the sleeve length of a size 15.5 was increased a while ago from, I believe 34 to 35, making it closer to my size. Obviously there are those that need the opposite (although you can always go custom or make a longer sleeve shorter).

How much sleeve shortening cost anyways?

Last edited:

sobecane

Reaction score

What's your order number, I want to check what shirt that is. Older variations of the full spread have points of 3 1/4", the updated ones are 3 3/8".

Order #21445
White Royal Twill
Code:RY-1292 4C7F1 DT
Size:14 1/2

The collar points were definitely shorter than my other shirts!

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would offering more sleeve lengths either result in prices increasing or offering less styles? I was thrilled when the sleeve length of a size 15.5 was increased a while ago from, I believe 34 to 35, making it closer to my size. Obviously there are those that need the opposite (although you can always go custom or make a longer sleeve shorter).

How much sleeve shortening cost anyways?

This whole debate is exhausting, as everyone is different and I have just resorted to custom for everything going forward.

After paying to shorten sleeves, the difference is almost non-existant and you may as well go custom and pick all your details. The wait is the only downside I can see.

If you buy OTR, its a $12 savings per shirt after shortening the OTR sleeves, fabric for fabric, regular bundle for bundle. And this is MTM vs OTR. Not even an argument if you value your clothing. $12... Give me a break, the MTM value is incredible.

Personally, the part I don't like about shortening sleeves is that the tailor (the one I use anyway) doesn't use the same stitch count sewing machine, that the factory uses. So when you look at your cuff there is a visible difference where the cuff is now joined vs the stitching on the cuff. Although minor and the general population wouldn't notice, but I do and it looks half assed on a nice fabric.

Hoping for more premium fabrics, and more casual options, twills, flannels, chambrays, denims, etc...

Chris Alex

Reaction score
It's a good point about the cost to alter the sleeves increasing the OTR shirt to being the same price as the MtM. Perhaps the compromise is making a few staple styles available in multiple sleeve lengths. Then people who need a shirt in a pinch can get one off the rack, and otherwise we can just order MtM to get the perfect length.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just fine with the Sleeve length. I won 't be a fan if the prices keep going up and up (because of the different lengths)

I think SM is trying to please way too many folks.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping for more premium fabrics, and more casual options, twills, flannels, chambrays, denims, etc...

You and me both brother, I hate seeing Gustin pulling great looking fabrics from TM and Albiate as I think their shirt cut is just terrible with the super high side scoops.

I have had a spot reserved in my closet for the SM denim shirts and for some sort of casual chambray for so long now. I am forever keeping my fingers crossed for the return of the speckled chambray too
inlove.gif

I'm just fine with the Sleeve length. I won 't be a fan if the prices keep going up and up (because of the different lengths)

I think SM is trying to please way too many folks.

I will continue to buy my 15.5 contemp off the rack as is, it's not perfect but it's a damn great fit for OTR. Part of the draw is the excellent value and you are right, if the prices increase due to the addition of sleeve length options it takes away from that, especially since they offer the custom route that most companies do not offer.

Last edited:

Billyum

Reaction score
Rick, I'm sure your customer service got slammed with the holiday shopping season, but I never got a response to an email I had sent it trying to add an item to an order.

I ordered 3 custom shirts, but after I ordered, I noticed another fabric I wanted. If possible, I was hoping to get a 4th shirt in that fabric, and get the bundle pricing and Black Friday sale (I sent in my first email when the Black Friday sale was still going on)

If it is not possible, it's not a big deal, but I would like a response either way. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads