• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score

Rhodia

Reaction score
Long-time lurker. Hello everyone.

I wanted to chime in on the trouser fit question from a week or so ago. Some of the athletic-bodied gentlemen were mentioning fit issues with the SM high-rise trousers (I lift weights, therefore I too have a butt and legs). Unfortunately, I've run into the same issue. Flat fronts are fine (I'm wearing my fresco from SS22 right now), but I recently dove into the pleated game. They simply do NOT work for me.

It seems that the higher rise in the pleated trousers are not compensated for in the rear. I did an experiment: The measurements of the BACK rise seems to be virtually the same for both the flat front and the high-rise. Hence, for me, the rise, um...goes up my backside.

Anyone else experienced this issue? I now have two pairs of 36 Contemporary in the charcoal sharkskin and brown herringbone that are unwearable for my body type. Going to have to sell. Very unfortunate. Beautiful cloths.

JayDee90

Reaction score

I wanted to chime in on the trouser fit question from a week or so ago. Some of the athletic-bodied gentlemen were mentioning fit issues with the SM high-rise trousers (I lift weights, therefore I too have a butt and legs). Unfortunately, I've run into the same issue. Flat fronts are fine (I'm wearing my fresco from SS22 right now), but I recently dove into the pleated game. They simply do NOT work for me.

It seems that the higher rise in the pleated trousers are not compensated for in the rear. I did an experiment: The measurements of the BACK rise seems to be virtually the same for both the flat front and the high-rise. Hence, for me, the rise, um...goes up my backside.

Anyone else experienced this issue? I now have two pairs of 36 Contemporary in the charcoal sharkskin and brown herringbone that are unwearable for my body type. Going to have to sell. Very unfortunate. Beautiful cloths.
This has been brought up before and the patterns hasn't really changed. Even in MTM I recall them using a U-rise measurement rather than an independent front and back. OTR is still wearable for me if I size up and alter the waist but not ideal. I am hoping this perhaps gets fixed with this sometimes mentioned new "classic" fit?

Rhodia

Reaction score
U-rise measurement! Thank you for this. I was not aware of that.

My OTR size of 36 also needs the waist taken in just slightly. I fear any Classic fit would be too big everywhere else, although perhaps it would be more balanced (I can get into a 35 Contemporary were other measurements adjusted).

Has anyone found a higher-rise trouser that accommodates the back rise-backside problem?

Rhodia

Reaction score
This has been brought up before and the patterns hasn't really changed. Even in MTM I recall them using a U-rise measurement rather than an independent front and back. OTR is still wearable for me if I size up and alter the waist but not ideal. I am hoping this perhaps gets fixed with this sometimes mentioned new "classic" fit?

Sorry @JayDee90. I thought I quoted you. It's been a while.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Sorry @JayDee90. I thought I quoted you. It's been a while.
All good! it looks like we are dealing with the same issue, in the same size! I too am really a 35 C but size up to 36 C and alter the waist..The tough part is finding another local (I am TO based) vendor that offers a similar price/quality ratio. Shipping and duties can add up quick...

milktoast

Reaction score
Really dig the suggestion from @An Acute Style to post reviews on the website. However, can we use them for good? And what I really mean by that is: review all the OCBDs and include “still prefer their lightweight OCBDs” or “would be better if it came in a lightweight option.”

Just my 2 cents here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Hadn't considered this at all, but makes perfect sense, as my issues are about the exact same. My "fix" is wearing the trews a bitttttt lower than ideal, which, obviously is not ideal, but good enough.
That said, regrettably, only good enough for suits. Odd trousers are no longer viable, if I'm being honest with myself.

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
Day 8 for me...
It seems 2-3 weeks is "normal" processing time for SM.....and only SM. That said, my last order shipped in 4 business days (ordered on Dec 26). They recently sent an email saying they have resolved the shipping time and return time issues......

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Did anyone try out the linen field jackets from last summer? One just came back in stock in my size and I'm strongly considering it. I need something to wear on the Camino de Santiago this summer and I wonder if it would be appropriate. I need something breathable for sure. If anyone can tell me their experience with the weave, the fit, or anything else about these jackets, I would be most appreciative.

edit: The size chart gives me serious pause. I wear a 38 Slim in their sportcoats, but the 38 field jacket seems like it would be extremely oversized on me. A 43.5" chest on a 38 is crazy, right?

I got one and really like the fit. Nothing weird or unexpected and the fit is very accurate to the posted measurements. I'm at the other end of the sizing spectrum than you...my perfect MTM size with S&M is 43L, so I rounded up to an XL/44 field jacket and love the fit. A little relaxed, but not oversized. The overall weave and weight of the linen is nice, and feels perfectly appropriate for the piece. Not too wrinkle-prone for 100% linen.

Attached is (1) someone else's pic I saved when I was still considering buying one, and (2) a pic of mine with the collar pressed to lay open like a lapel or camp collar.

Attachments

• SpierField.jpeg
    SpierField.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 162
  • SpierFieldpressed.jpeg
    SpierFieldpressed.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 163

Rhodia

Reaction score
Interesting. Hadn't considered this at all, but makes perfect sense, as my issues are about the exact same. My "fix" is wearing the trews a bitttttt lower than ideal, which, obviously is not ideal, but good enough.
That said, regrettably, only good enough for suits. Odd trousers are no longer viable, if I'm being honest with myself.

Just as a more precise explanation: The additional inch of front rise (from around 11" on the FF to 12" on the HR) means when I wear the trousers near my natural waist, the back rise is very constricting. I measured some other older mid-rise trousers from other brands that are only 10.5" in the front, and even they have a 14" back rise.

Btw, I've found this article eminently useful for considering alternatives. And, more importantly, for realizing not all brands suit all men. Fortunately, my SM Sportcoat from this season is spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads