• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thisfits

Reaction score
But yes, when I initially received this suit OTR, it seemed to be cut on the smaller side of tolerances.

This is interesting. I received the Slim full-canvas BG flannel suit last week with great trepidation about the armholes. My first impression after initially trying it on wasn't so much discomfort at the armpits as it was tightness through the chest. That left me scratching my head over whether that had to do with the armholes or something else. Now I wonder if it has to do with tolerances and the thickness of the BG flannel.

Went ahead and ordered a Contemporary fit to see if that would offer an improved fit.

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
Does anyone have personal experience or photos with the S&M Classic Parka? (fit, quality, etc) The price looks good at additional 20% off.
I have the classic parka from this season and really like it. It really is hard to beat for the money imo. I have the bomber version that I liked from the year before and needed something longer for when I went on a trip to Vancouver and Whistler not long ago and it was perfect to wear there, kept me really warm. I wear a jacket size 42R (they fit like a glove on me) and bought a large. My favorite thing is the material. It’s fairly soft and almost looks like twill, unlike most other puffers are noisy and polyester(?), and looks classy. I think the chest pockets are an acceptable height. I will say that the bottom does not have much flare, and fits me fairly tight around my backside, which I can definitely notice the snugness when I where a wallet. It’s not a terrible thing keeping out the cold tho.

Attachments

• 8C72E417-490C-4FA7-A8F8-754C9CF55F97.jpeg
    8C72E417-490C-4FA7-A8F8-754C9CF55F97.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 140

AtlRock

Reaction score
I have the classic parka from this season and really like it. It really is hard to beat for the money imo. I have the bomber version that I liked from the year before and needed something longer for when I went on a trip to Vancouver and Whistler not long ago and it was perfect to wear there, kept me really warm. I wear a jacket size 42R (they fit like a glove on me) and bought a large. My favorite thing is the material. It’s fairly soft and almost looks like twill, unlike most other puffers are noisy and polyester(?), and looks classy. I think the chest pockets are an acceptable height. I will say that the bottom does not have much flare, and fits me fairly tight around my backside, which I can definitely notice the snugness when I where a wallet. It’s not a terrible thing keeping out the cold tho.
Thank you so much!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of you guys, me included, have been inquiring about a tuxedo. I was haply to see on IG that we're having a RTW tuxedo coming soon. I asked Rick and the confirmed that it would be mid rise. But for those of you, me included again, that desired a high rise, don't put your heads down. Spier will offer a Barathea tuxedo featuring high rise trousers FW22. There are some delays as Spier are still waiting for the delivery of the fabric. Happy days!
Not that I wouldn't always prefer high rise pantaloons, but I think a tux is probably the best scenario for trying a mid rise, assuming you're going to sport a cummerbund with it. Helps to eat up a good deal of visible midsection.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I wouldn't always prefer high rise pantaloons, but I think a tux is probably the best scenario for trying a mid rise, assuming you're going to sport a cummerbund with it. Helps to eat up a good deal of visible midsection.
You make a good point, but for me, the high rise is practical. High rise trousers fits better and rests on my natural waist. I can't wear mid rise. They don't drape nearly as well as high rise trousers.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what work did your tailor actually do? Side seams on jacket? Let out trousers? other things?
Ha. That's a very good question. Beyond a hem and cuffs, I'm not entirely sure. I mentioned some slight restriction in the jacket affecting the drape. He took at look, muttered a few words, made a few quick marks, and then that was it.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, but for me, the high rise is practical. High rise trousers fits better and rests on my natural waist. I can't wear mid rise. They don't drape nearly as well as high rise trousers.
Ha. As I was typing, I was debating with myself whether to add those qualifiers. Perfectly fair, on both fronts.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. I received the Slim full-canvas BG flannel suit last week with great trepidation about the armholes. My first impression after initially trying it on wasn't so much discomfort at the armpits as it was tightness through the chest. That left me scratching my head over whether that had to do with the armholes or something else. Now I wonder if it has to do with tolerances and the thickness of the BG flannel.

Went ahead and ordered a Contemporary fit to see if that would offer an improved fit.
The BG flannel suit you received, was it the FW'20 iteration? I bought the FW '20 version of the BG flannel, which, to my knowledge, was constructed on the old Neo pattern, without the raised armholes. Your comments about less discomfort at the armpits than there is through the chest tracks with my and others' experiences with the new raised armhole for FW'21. I'm not going to go down the armhole road again, because that's already been covered. I did order a 38L contemporary in my FW'20 BG flannel suit and noticed it didn't drape as well of the rack as other 38L contemporary Neo jackets I own, so I chalked it up to tolerances.

thisfits

Reaction score
The BG flannel suit you received, was it the FW'20 iteration? I bought the FW '20 version of the BG flannel, which, to my knowledge, was constructed on the old Neo pattern, without the raised armholes. Your comments about less discomfort at the armpits than there is through the chest tracks with my and others' experiences with the new raised armhole for FW'21. I'm not going to go down the armhole road again, because that's already been covered. I did order a 38L contemporary in my FW'20 BG flannel suit and noticed it didn't drape as well of the rack as other 38L contemporary Neo jackets I own, so I chalked it up to tolerances.

I got the FW'21. I'm liking the overall silhouette, the slope of the shoulders, the weight of the cloth, and the way the jacket moves (or rather, doesn't) when I raise my arms ... just not a fan of how it feels like my rib cage is being squeezed.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I ordered my first SM jacket: the BG Neo Flannel. Torn between the slim and the contemporary, ordered the slim, now thinking I probably made the wrong decision of course. It arrives later this week so we'll see. Also wondering if I picked the wrong season to make my first purchase- the armhole situation being in flux may make it harder to judge whether the cut will be right for me in the future. I really love the fabrics S&M uses, and their Neo style is compelling. I want to love my first jacket! Anyway, just wanted to greet the thread. If all goes well I'll probably be frequenting often. Salut!

ksinc

Reaction score
I placed a small order today to try some xxl polo shirts and pocket squares from SM. I am just keeping busy while anxiously waiting for my MTO s/c.

thisfits

Reaction score
Maybe this is the norm now and I missed the memo, but I want to give @spiermackay kudos for speeding up their turnaround time.

Placed an order 1/26, with two trousers to be hemmed, and it shipped 1/31--just 5 days later including a weekend. Incredibly, I placed a second order on 1/28 and it shipped on 2/1!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads