• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Menswear2021

Reaction score
Is it just me or the breast pockets on all of the new jackets look hideously high?Is it because of high and then low again arm hole pattern f8ckups :confused: ?.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or the breast pockets on all of the new jackets look hideously high ?Is it because of high and then low again arm hole pattern f8ckups :confused:?.
Not sure what you’re referring to? Don’t look all that different to me. Sounds like you’re really not a fan of this season’s offerings from your posts. Luckily you have many other choices for your tailored clothing.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Is it just me or the breast pockets on all of the new jackets look hideously high ?Is it because of high and then low again arm hole pattern f8ckups :confused:?.

they are higher! They are a little over an inch higher. I noticed it yesterday when comparing it to my older S&M jackets, not sure if I like it or not

Last edited:

Menswear2021

Reaction score
Ok just me then. Don't pretend that you know me.
Not sure what you’re referring to? Don’t look all that different to me. Sounds like you’re really not a fan of this season’s offerings from your posts. Luckily you have many other choices for your tailored clothing.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or the breast pockets on all of the new jackets look hideously high?Is it because of high and then low again arm hole pattern f8ckups :confused: ?.
You’re not crazy. I noticed this too on the new fall ‘21 iteration of the Neo sportcoat.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some cases, I think it's a combination of the breast pocket and the gorge. This suit obviously features a lower gorge. But nevertheless, Spier need to sort out the issue with the breast pocket positioning. In this case the lapel covers almost all of the breast pocket. Not a good look. https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/medium-gray-flannel-cbt5-a128522-mto-j-neo-lg-copy

I've had two MTO commissions featuring the lower gorge. One featured a breast pocket that is covered by the lapel to 90 % while the other is OK (covers about 50-60 % which is fine).

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measured the new breast pocket as 1cm higher although I don't think it's directly related to the armhole change - I say this because I had an MTO done back in the summer with the revised armhole, but that doesn't have the raised breast pocket.

In fact that MTO was the one I spoke about on here when a few of you asked about the raised armhole. I had fed back that the change was hardly noticeable but that's certainly not the case on RTW FW21 which definately feels different (higher) compared to that MTO.

I would surmise that the prototype was OK which passed sampling, but then someone or something changed the armhole/pocket parameters which then rolled out to production.

Spier is aware of the updated breast pocket placement but it seems to have carried over to the most recent SS22 drops. I wonder if those still have the +2cm higher armhole too, anyone want to be a Guinea pig and grab one to test for us? ?

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That armhole change was not a f*ckup. it was a direct response to complaints on this thread that the armholes were too low. Now they are too high and "a f*ckup." Only at SF ?

Menswear2021

Reaction score
It was a fuc8up. As dapper classic said the prototypes were fine. Many requested for it yes. But higher armhole doesnt equal to highly restricted upper body movement.

Last edited:

Menswear2021

Reaction score
You should test one and let us know ;)
I measured the new breast pocket as 1cm higher although I don't think it's directly related to the armhole change - I say this because I had an MTO done back in the summer with the revised armhole, but that doesn't have the raised breast pocket.

In fact that MTO was the one I spoke about on here when a few of you asked about the raised armhole. I had fed back that the change was hardly noticeable but that's certainly not the case on RTW FW21 which definately feels different (higher) compared to that MTO.

I would surmise that the prototype was OK which passed sampling, but then someone or something changed the armhole/pocket parameters which then rolled out to production.

Spier is aware of the updated breast pocket placement but it seems to have carried over to the most recent SS22 drops. I wonder if those still have the +2cm higher armhole too, anyone want to be a Guinea pig and grab one to test for us? ?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just me then. Don't pretend that you know me.
Just mean that life is too short to get so worked up about about these kinds of things. If you notice them and they bother you, sit out the season and look at other makers.

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
I just bought RTW SS22 Brown PoW Neo cut 40L contemporary. Unfortunately, I don't have a prior version to compare to but if there's a way for me to measure accurately I can report back.

I did have a navy hopsack Neo cut 40L contemporary FW21 that I bought then returned in December. I remember the armholes being slightly higher than I prefer but not egregious, so I may be able to make some observations off memory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads