• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Is Cream?
They Arrived...
View attachment 1601378

View attachment 1601380

View attachment 1601381

imho) I Find These Too Be Off-White, Was Thinking About Returning 1) Pair, Only Because I Didn't Find These To Be Cream In Color. May A Light Puddy...

Edit;) These (Quest) Trousers Are Sweet, I'm Keeping Both And Looking For More, This Is Not The Cream I'll Be Reaching For, But @ $118.00 They Are Awesome...
They look terrific to me! Hope to receive mine soon
You prefer a bit more yellow tones?

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6FA39B27-C21A-48B9-9A4B-7E719023059B.jpeg

a little love for the MTO Di Pray jacket. Very versatile!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if sizing up, then machine washing + drying would shrink these to a casual fit? My experience is the long dimensions (sleeve, overall length, etc) shrink while the lateral dimensions largely stay the same. Any advice?
the sleeve lengths look pretty generous (35" on a 15.5) -- will probably be on the long-ish side for most people. My advice still stands -- don't sweat the extra length. Won't be seen if you wear under a jacket, and if you wear it on its own, just roll the sleeves up; it's a casual summer shirt.

dangaa

Reaction score
I wonder if sizing up, then machine washing + drying would shrink these to a casual fit? My experience is the long dimensions (sleeve, overall length, etc) shrink while the lateral dimensions largely stay the same. Any advice?

I think @Burzan has done this successfully with OCBD's but I can't comment from experience. Maybe Rick @spiermackay has data points on what % shrinkage to expect overall compared vs. length in the body/sleeves.

dangaa

Reaction score
Counterpoint: if you’re wearing under a jacket, nobody will notice if the sleeves are long. Unless they’re too short. If you’re not wearing a jacket, roll the sleeves up. Because seersucker = summer.

the sleeve lengths look pretty generous (35" on a 15.5) -- will probably be on the long-ish side for most people. My advice still stands -- don't sweat the extra length. Won't be seen if you wear under a jacket, and if you wear it on its own, just roll the sleeves up; it's a casual summer shirt.

I completely see where you are coming from but for me personally the extra length would drive me crazy and in the end that is all that matters.

I already have short sleeve seersucker shirts so really forcing myself to roll up the sleeves would defeat the purpose.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely see where you are coming from but for me personally the extra length would drive me crazy and in the end that is all that matters.

I already have short sleeve seersucker shirts so really forcing myself to roll up the sleeves would defeat the purpose.

I get it, I'm the same way- I'm a stickler for how much cuff is showing from under my jacket sleeve, so if the shirt sleeves are too long, I'll invariably show more cuff than I want and end up adjusting it all day.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it, I'm the same way- I'm a stickler for how much cuff is showing from under my jacket sleeve, so if the shirt sleeves are too long, I'll invariably show more cuff than I want and end up adjusting it all day.
It’s a little trickier with OTR shirts but the amount of cuff showing is controlled by the cuff diameter. I actually order my shirts that I wear under jackets with a little bit of extra sleeve length so they don’t ride up during the day.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
Look at the size charts; a 40 slim is smaller in the chest than the 40 contemporary.
If your body measures 40" around the chest, you can't wear a jacket that also measures 40" in the chest -- that would be literally skin tight. Instead, the jacket has to be larger in the chest than your actual measured chest size -- one term for this is "ease." A slim jacket is designed with less ease than a contemporary jacket. It is part of the overall silhouette.

hi all first post but am longtime fan of both forum and SM. I too am interested in this (although I'm aware it's probably been discussed adnsm). I think I remember reading that there were differences in armhole height and sleeve width between the two cuts/silhouettes (slim vs contemporary) as well. This has kept me from buying the contemporary (and considering going MTO slim for in-between sizes [41], although I feel in the end I would be more comfortable in 40 contemporary given the measurements. I own a grey sport coat in the 40 slim and had to have a tailor let it out a bit in the waist this week. I'm slim built but a little between sizes (6'1'' and 173) with 18''-18.25'' shoulders, 39.9 chest, and 38'' waist. But something in the slim cut makes my chest pop open a bit on the right side if I close the jacket and relax my shoulders. Is the contemporary still cut with a high armhole and not too wide sleeves? i also noticed that the neapolitan slim cut is a little bigger in the shoulders (.25''), perhaps this would solve my problem (as I think the chest popping problem might really be a shoulder issue). been trying to move away from tighter fits and appreciating ease more and more but don't want to sacrifice sleeve fit too much. looking forward to future acquisitions...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads