• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mbb355

Reaction score
I really wish I knew my proper size. Torn between 36 contemp and 38S slim.
This is my life, lol. I usually go 38 slim these days because I like the extra length and find it’s easier to tailor around a slightly-too-large garment than a slightly-too-small one. But I used to swear by 36 contempo.

gianm

Reaction score
This is my life, lol. I usually go 38 slim these days because I like the extra length and find it’s easier to tailor around a slightly-too-large garment than a slightly-too-small one. But I used to swear by 36 contempo.

Same, but the last few times I've gotten a 36 contemporary the fit has not been quite right. Chest is always a bit tight. 38S contemporary was too big. Shoulders on the 38 tend to be a bit large too (although I may grow into those a touch)

mbb355

Reaction score
Same, but the last few times I've gotten a 36 contemporary the fit has not been quite right. Chest is always a bit tight. 38S contemporary was too big. Shoulders on the 38 tend to be a bit large too (although I may grow into those a touch)
I hear you. My chest measurement is 37 so I really am right in the middle. But I'm lanky with a long torso, so the often-too-short body length of 36 kills it for me. I'm so uncomfortable in short jackets. Grateful for Spier's 38 Slim option, which is about as close to 37 as one can find in RTW-land.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, had a couple of questions:

- What is the quality/real life difference between the house linen fabric and (eg) the Sondrio linen fabric? Wondering about the price difference (and obviously assuming that the look of both fabric is similar).

- Does anyone have experience/real life pics of this one? Wild colour, but not sure how to match it IRL.

Thanks!

6676F-301-1-1.jpg

This is a beauty!
IRL
20200829_231818.jpg

20200829_231743.jpg

chiggyv

Reaction score
Just arrived today so not time for any other pics.

And of course my wallet can’t even breathe and the sportcoat sale is tempting me. I’m actually really curious about the wool/cotton denim sportcoat. The brown houndstooth looks amazing of course as well.

In the meantime, the cord suit is fantastic. On the slim side of contemporary fitting for sure though the jacket, reminds me of the green seersucker fit for those that picked that up. lapels look to have made up on the wide side, but I need to steam it all out. It does appear that way on the site so I wasn’t shocked when I saw in person.

I also tried the in house tailoring. Everything came out perfect and I’m thrilled they are offering the hem service (amazing price too). Since the contemporary fit change the 33 now works perfectly other than the hem, so I can just rock stuff as soon as it arrives now!

View attachment 1531881
View attachment 1531882

Sorry not entirely up to date on the thread - what was the contemporary fit change?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just arrived today so not time for any other pics.

And of course my wallet can’t even breathe and the sportcoat sale is tempting me. I’m actually really curious about the wool/cotton denim sportcoat. The brown houndstooth looks amazing of course as well.

In the meantime, the cord suit is fantastic. On the slim side of contemporary fitting for sure though the jacket, reminds me of the green seersucker fit for those that picked that up. lapels look to have made up on the wide side, but I need to steam it all out. It does appear that way on the site so I wasn’t shocked when I saw in person.

I also tried the in house tailoring. Everything came out perfect and I’m thrilled they are offering the hem service (amazing price too). Since the contemporary fit change the 33 now works perfectly other than the hem, so I can just rock stuff as soon as it arrives now!

View attachment 1531881
View attachment 1531882
That looks nice!

But personally, am bummed to hear that the fit is comparable to the green seersucker fit. That fit will rule out the cord suit for me.
I just had to return the green linen suit I picked up in the boxing day sale because it had that same 'green seersucker' fit. Normal in length and shoulders, but very slim through the chest. My tailor told me he couldn't make it work for me. Completely different from more than 20 other S&M pieces in the same size, which required little or no tailoring.

Have you ever asked Rick about that 'green seersucker' fit? Was it a mistake? or an experiment?

wildcat10

Reaction score
New Arrivals! Cream Flannels...

View attachment 1531999

The Weather Has Been To Warm For Flannel! Cream Flannel, 3rd Pair and (1) On The Way. Hopefully Next Year, I Want (5) Too Wear Cream Flannel For A Whole Week Without Visiting The Cleaners.
That's a lot of cream flannel! I have never purchased a shirt from S&M, but these look beautiful, I should try one.

gianm

Reaction score
Those who have the brown houndstooth, is the fit as expected? As in, no green seersucker business going on.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads