• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PC has done a wonderful job in this space. Very focused on making the process easier for the customer. Their collection of fabric is commendable as well. They really are a leader in online MTM.

I think most decent companies in the MTM space, who are in the "affordable" range will have similar quality. As long as they are using single needle, 18+ spi (though I've been told PC is somewhere around 16 spi, which is perfectly acceptable) using quality interlining, then it will result in a very good shirt. Secondary details are things like a true 4 piece bias split yoke, pattern matching and shell (our default, included) or MOP buttons are all great value added details.

Where I think we succeed is our value. For the average consumer, looking for some great quality, well fitting shirts, I feel we truly offer an incredible value. Where I think we have an edge on PC, especially for a community like SF, is our flexibility in requests (similar to Luxire). Because we draft every pattern from scratch, and don't use MTM templates, we can pretty much accommodate any request and do our best to make it happen.

Now, we have some work to do in simplifying the process, and adding more unique fabrics, but I think our foundation is there.

Just throwing my vote behind Rick here. I've got probably 5 PC shirts, 5 Luxire shirts, and 10 S&M shirts. I've pretty much fully switched to S&M now unless the other two have stocked a fabric I really want. PC and Luxire definitely beat S&M out when it comes to fabric selection (though I'm hoping for denims and flannels esp. a blackwatch in the future), but besides that I don't see the value proposition of using either of those two over S&M (though I am a big fan of Luxire's trouser program). Constructions, details, flexibility, and accuracy are comparable on each; S&M and PC tie on customer service; and S&M slays on the stock buttons.

Besides the price-value ratio, the other thing that has driven me away from PC is the 1/16" stitching they use on the hem. Always rolls up no matter how much you iron and it drives me insane.

Last edited:

ldegeneve

Reaction score
Where I think we succeed is our value. For the average consumer, looking for some great quality, well fitting shirts, I feel we truly offer an incredible value. Where I think we have an edge on PC, especially for a community like SF, is our flexibility in requests (similar to Luxire). Because we draft every pattern from scratch, and don't use MTM templates, we can pretty much accommodate any request and do our best to make it happen.

I'm going to second this. I have to get all my shirts MTM and all of them are from S&M: they fit fabulously, the fabrics are awesome, and Rick's service is second to none. I say this without exaggeration. I can't imagine getting my shirts anywhere else.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to second this. I have to get all my shirts MTM and all of them are from S&M: they fit fabulously, the fabrics are awesome, and Rick's service is second to none. I say this without exaggeration. I can't imagine getting my shirts anywhere else.
Everybody seems to love this Rick guy. I hope he reads this forum. Maybe I'll go to his store next time I'm in T.O. and see for myself how great he is. It's pretty cool that he's in Canada.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I think this is my first post on this board! I've been enjoying reading it for a while now. My question here is what do you guys do with the off-the-rack S&M shirts if you have a shorter sleeve length. I'm used to buying by collar and sleeve. Is it a straightforward enough alteration?

Thanks!

tnjed

Reaction score
Hi, all. I think this is my first post on this board! I've been enjoying reading it for a while now. My question here is what do you guys do with the off-the-rack S&M shirts if you have a shorter sleeve length. I'm used to buying by collar and sleeve. Is it a straightforward enough alteration?

Thanks!

I take it to a tailor or dry cleaner that performs alterations and request that they shorten the sleeves by 1/2 to 1 inches depending on what I think best. It's a routine alteration that should cost around $10 - $20 (max).

I could be mistaken but the 15.5 contemporary has a sleeve length of 35 inches. I believe S&M plans to provide an option for a true 34 sometime in the future.

Beav

Reaction score
I take it to a tailor or dry cleaner that performs alterations and request that they shorten the sleeves by 1/2 to 1 inches depending on what I think best. It's a routine alteration that should cost around $10 - $20 (max).

I could be mistaken but the 15.5 contemporary has a sleeve length of 35 inches. I believe S&M plans to provide an option for a true 34 sometime in the future.

If you email S&M after you order you can get them to shorten sleeves before shipping. Costs $12 And can take a couple weeks plus shipping time. But of course if you get them to shorten sleeves the shirts are final sale.

tnjed

Reaction score
@Beav ah good to know. That could be worth it, as I live in DC, and I can't seem to find anyone that will shorten the sleeves for less than $20.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now, we have some work to do in simplifying the process, and adding more unique fabrics, but I think our foundation is there.

Rick, if I want to be measured for a MTM piece in person by a real tailor and not just a shop sales employee do I need to go to your Mississauga location?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody seems to love this Rick guy. I hope he reads this forum. Maybe I'll go to his store next time I'm in T.O. and see for myself how great he is. It's pretty cool that he's in Canada.

Who do you think is replying? A robot?

Anyone have the moleskin pants in pics yet? Still debating if I should get em.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who do you think is replying? A robot?
I figured Rick was a tailor or head of customer service, but when people on this thread kept calling him by his first name it made me feel like an interloper here for not knowing. Your sarcasm means that Rick is the social media rep for SM on top of whatever else, so he does see the nice things people say about him. I’m glad. It sounds like he deserves the compliments.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured Rick was a tailor or head of customer service, but when people on this thread kept calling him by his first name it made me feel like an interloper here for not knowing. Your sarcasm means that Rick is the social media rep for SM on top of whatever else, so he does see the nice things people say about him. I’m glad. It sounds like he deserves the compliments.

He's a little more than that :) http://www.canadianbusiness.com/innovation/change-agent/rikky-khanna-spier-mackay/

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wow. You sure did an awfully small amount of research to barge into this thread and proclaim to the world that Spier & Mackay isn't worthy of your business because of a simple typo on the website. :facepalm:

Last edited:

winghus

Reaction score
Another two that I'll be getting. Really fantastic offering those fabrics in the style for the price he is.

So the ordering for these has not happened yet, right? Rick, if you're reading this, for this GMTO would I be able to get measurements done differently than stock?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin Byrne