• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I'm sorry to pile on this, but my last 6 MTO suits have all had significant issues - wrong buttons, wrong inseam lengths, missing details, wrong shoulder padding, etc. all have had to go back. Some full canvas are really half (I've even ignored some errors out of exasperation). Even after repeatedly asking them to check before mailing, that has fallen on deaf ears, and so they have all had to go back. Not sure why a quick QC check can't be done prior to mailing...
I'm not disputing this, but why didn't you give up after 2 or 3?

Imperatores

Reaction score
Can't say as I don't have the cable knits.

With respect to the merino sweaters, this year Ls measure exactly as specified, while last year Ls measure as M.
This is just my personal experience so interested if others noticed a similar thing.

I'd love to hear from others as well. Which specific merino sweaters did you get from the current season? I was planning on grabbing a few knit polos, but maybe I won't have to size up this time around.

MrFingers

Reaction score
I'd love to hear from others as well. Which specific merino sweaters did you get from the current season? I was planning on grabbing a few knit polos, but maybe I won't have to size up this time around.
I got the cream cable knit turtleneck and charcoal, black turtlenecks. Last year I sized up to L and it fits fine but it looks like a comfy look. This time I stayed “TTS” and it looks form fitting (not tight) which is good because I plan on wearing these under a sportcoat. I’d advise to stick to your true size if that’s the idea and size up if you want to layer casually

Imperatores

Reaction score
I got the cream cable knit turtleneck and charcoal, black turtlenecks. Last year I sized up to L and it fits fine but it looks like a comfy look. This time I stayed “TTS” and it looks form fitting (not tight) which is good because I plan on wearing these under a sportcoat. I’d advise to stick to your true size if that’s the idea and size up if you want to layer casually

You mean the regular merino turtlenecks in charcoal and black (not cable knit)? The cable knits have always fit well in my true size. I'm wondering about the regular merino crew- and V-necks, turtlenecks and knit polos. Form fitting but not tight sounds ideal.

MrFingers

Reaction score
You mean the regular merino turtlenecks in charcoal and black (not cable knit)? The cable knits have always fit well in my true size. I'm wondering about the regular merino crew- and V-necks, turtlenecks and knit polos. Form fitting but not tight sounds ideal.
If assume they all fit somewhat similar. If I were to get others I would stick to the same size. I’m curious about that chunky oatmeal one but not too sure, plus it’s a bit pricey

Imperatores

Reaction score
No sorry, this one: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/stone-marled-pt2101-mrl-ttn-fw22

Only thing stopping me is that it looks a bit busy for a sweater. Not sure i would be able to layer it under a sportcoat

Not sure how I feel about that one, to be honest. It probably looks better in person, but there's something a bit too "ordinary" about it somehow. Almost looks a bit mall brand, if that's not too harsh. I definitely wouldn't wear it under a sportcoat myself. Seems more at home under casual outerwear or just worn on its own. I'm more interested in the English rib turtlenecks as an alternative to the cable knits myself. Limited color options though.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell, I'd Do A Drive Thru In This, Dinner In The SUV, This Is Sweet...

SpierAndMackayFW22_Di Pray - Blackwatch - Dinner Jacket-75-7527-1 (3)-550x550.jpg

RRover.png

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of it closed and without the backpack? It looks surprisingly fitted if that is indeed your SC size. The chart makes them seem huge. How's sleeve width and armhole height?

It's a fitted cut. I'm a 40R and M was too big on me. The S is a perfect fit without the liner.

I wouldn't say it's super fitted, as in I'm pretty sure I could layer up and/or gain a few pounds and still be able to zip it, but it's not a really baggy coat either. Room through the chest is good and while the armholes aren't high you can move around without it pulling. Sleeve width is comfortable, can easily layer up and still flex your arms. If every season is bulking season the sleeves might not be so generous.

EDIT: Threw it on over a sportcoat today and the sleeve taper down towards your wrists isn't really conducive to fitting a sportcoat under the jacket. Sweaters are fine though.
wj1.jpg

wj4.jpg

wj3.jpg

wj2.jpg

Last edited:

iguana

Reaction score
Any shorter guys have success with the field jackets? I'm 5'6 and idk if it would be something I could have a tailor shorten

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads