• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It may not have been your intention to copy the Kamakura collar exactly which is fine, but the Kamakura collar seems to be all around beefier than the SM one. In particular, it seems to have a wider spread, longer collar points, and a taller collar band height. One of the huge benefits of the extra spread in my opinion is that it helps the collar points sit closer to/under the lapels of a sport coat. I personally prefer this on all my collars: BD or otherwise. The SM collar looks very nice and I look forward to trying it out when they come in. Do you mind sharing the measurements on the SM collar? Thanks.

They are almost identical TBH, it's just how the shot/angle of the pic. The only small tweak we'll make before we go to production is increase the tie gap, which will push the roll out a tiny bit more.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are almost identical TBH, it's just how the shot/angle of the pic. The only small tweak we'll make before we go to production is increase the tie gap, which will push the roll out a tiny bit more.
Thanks. I really look forward to trying these. I bought two pair of trousers on sale from S&M last week. Based purely on the measurements, I think the contemporary fit size 30 works best for me. You don't seem to carry the contemporary fit in a size 30 often. I imagine it's based on demand, but what's up with that? Thanks.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. I really look forward to trying these. I bought two pair of trousers on sale from S&M last week. Based purely on the measurements, I think the contemporary fit size 30 works best for me. You don't seem to carry the contemporary fit in a size 30 often. I imagine it's based on demand, but what's up with that? Thanks.

We have been carrying those contemporary 30's for a very long time. Simply not a size/fit that sells for us. That said, we're still very small and not exposed to a very broad audience. In the last couple of months though, we've seen a solid growth curve that, if we stay on it, we can expand sizing in the very near future.

jamie411

Reaction score
I would agree the collar points look shorter and spread looks narrower - and I prefer the look of the Kamakura. I also prefer the lower second button. I feel the second button is positioned too high for a more casual shirt. It's fine for a dress shirt, but I pretty much only wear those with a tie anyway.

Looks promising though!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The second button was a little high for me, but I imagine I'll get used to it. Apologies for the dirty mirror!
Yeah, I posted about this as well but I got used to it after wearing it
We have been carrying those contemporary 30's for a very long time. Simply not a size/fit that sells for us. That said, we're still very small and not exposed to a very broad audience. In the last couple of months though, we've seen a solid growth curve that, if we stay on it, we can expand sizing in the very near future.
I wear size 30 in slim fit and I STILL tapered them. Am I the only customer who likes their pants really form fitting aka tight aka that slim?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second button was a little high for me, but I imagine I'll get used to it. Apologies for the dirty mirror!

That looks odd to me. I usually wear the first two buttons undone on my OCBD when I don't wear a tie. I'd be curious to see this with the second button undone. That third button looks rather low.

I wear size 30 in slim fit and I STILL tapered them. Am I the only customer who likes their pants really form fitting aka tight aka that slim?

I usually aim for something between a 7.5 and 8 inch leg opening. If I taper my pants too much, the knees get baggy/stretched out which I hate.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score

Do they still manage to maintain a clean line all the way down? Pics please.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do they still manage to maintain a clean line all the way down? Pics please.

I should have edited my last post. When I took them to the tailor, I told her to ONLY taper from the knee down as the rest of the pant fits fine.

I just measured and my pant and the leg opening is 7. I like my pants really tapered, this is a personal preference and I understand some might think it's tight but I have girly man legs

My MTM suit I got from S&M have a 7 1/4 leg opening

I will try to get some pics of the pants shortly

Last edited:

burgerkong

Reaction score
That looks odd to me. I usually wear the first two buttons undone on my OCBD when I don't wear a tie. I'd be curious to see this with the second button undone. That third button looks rather low.

Another member's pics:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/383376/spier-mackay-official-affiliate-thread/2910#post_8230620

I'd prefer it if there was a lower second button, to negate having to undo the third button, but this is personal IMO and would be addressed in a MTO shirt.

OCBDPHD

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the 2nd button preference is correlated with whether you unbutton just the top button or the top two. If, like me, you prefer to unbutton only the top one, I think dropping it down 1" will prevent the fabric pulling you see in the picture above. If you unbutton the top two, then lowering it might show more chest than you like. Most buttondown collars I've seen have the 2nd button at least 1" lower than the latest S&M design: Brooks Brothers (the originator!), Mercer, Kamakura, Lands' End, Uniqlo, Gitman, Gant, Lean Garments, etc.

2nd button placement is lower on my priority list behind fit, chest pocket included, collar roll, and fabric. But all I'm asking for is 1 tiny inch for the buttondown collared shirts! Maybe that's a nice compromise between the single and double unbuttoners? I think I could yield to having the current button placement on non-buttondowns.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I should have edited my last post. When I took them to the tailor, I told her to ONLY taper from the knee down as the rest of the pant fits fine.

I just measured and my pant and the leg opening is 7. I like my pants really tapered, this is a personal preference and I understand some might think it's tight but I have girly man legs

My MTM suit I got from S&M have a 7 1/4 leg opening

I will try to get some pics of the pants shortly

I've been moving in the other direction of late, but I think it really depends on some combination of your shoe size and instep height. If I go under 8-ish, I struggle with balancing the inseam length vs minimizing break.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics