Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spain in August

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Xericx, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

awesome, thanks for the tips. still need to read a few more information before i get there. there are 3 of us total travelling.

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

If you mean the Theatre Museum Dali in Figueres I would say yes, if you have done what you want to do in Barcelona. I love the place but the last time I went was many years ago and I was staying locally.

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

hola from Fuente De, going to Segovia then Madrid tomorrow.

4. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

i heard people kind of look down upon wearing shorts there in spain? its going to be hot as hell...but I have some linen pants, etc.....

true?

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

I avoid shorts in the big cities but have seen them around a lot. Not all cities are hot as hell btw, depends on where you are.

6. zoneahead

zoneahead Member

You definitely won't see too many Spanish men wearing shorts except at the beach, but you probably won't be accosted on the street if you decide to. Most tourists will be wearing shorts if it's hot.

7. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I'm thinking of taking a day in Valencia and taking one of the out of town "paella tours" (probably a bus ride). only problem is my free day for this is a Monday and many of them might be closed.

anyone have experience with the Paella tours in El Palmar, etc? I heard the ones in Valencia itself aren't that great. Ideally I wanted to go to the one that Batali went to in "On the Road again"......its called La Mantandena...its gotten mixed reviews online though...might be a tourist trap.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/f...3636/Valencia-finding-the-perfect-paella.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In Madrid, I can recommend this tapas tour. Very good wines.

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I would never wear shorts in a Spanish city or town even a small town unless it was by the sea. Shorts will not only mark you as a tourist but probably as a mark too. Just take some lightweight trousers.

10. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

nice, in my itinerary.

11. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

OK....

would you rather watch:

1. Real Madrid soccer match
    http://www.onlineticketexpress.com/event/real_madrid_vs_athletic_bilbao_tickets

or

2. Traditional Bullfight at Las Ventas
    http://www.ticketstoros.com/ingles/teyci.html

they are both on the same day (sunday night).....looking at the schedule, won't have a chance to see another big soccer match..is it really that cool to see live? but i think the bullfights would probably be more unique to spain...i might get bored after the 2nd bullfight though.

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I would go to the bullfight. You will not be bored and you can always see another football match somewhere else when you are travelling in any big European or South American city.

Not that I am biased but you would see better football on Barcelona.

13. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

La Matandeta would be a really good place to try an authentic paella. It's no more/less touristy than other restaurants around there. Not my favorite in terms of decor but definitely good rice dishes. I don't really know what a "paella tour" is, though.

I'd vote to see a bullfight. I personally think they should be outlawed but they are something unique and I really doubt you'll get bored.

I think the wearing shorts thing also depends on how old you are. Mid-thirties and up very few men wear shorts, but if you're a younger guy I don't think you'll stand out.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

any recommendations for unique stores to visit?

All I have is the Zara outlet store called "lefties" i might check out. also some spanish cologne store called Alvarez Gomez that I saw in some magazine. Interested in getting some good soaps or something I can't get here in the US.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

you're gonna go to Spain.... to check out a Zara outlet store?