1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Spain in August

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Xericx, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

another tapas place, 5 minutes from our apartment...this was in the Born area.

[​IMG]

It cost 15-20% MORE to eat outside for some reason. So we ate inside, where there was air conditioning and no bugs.

[​IMG]

The typical bread with tomatos that they just give to you and charge you without asking for!
    [​IMG]

Gazpacho...so refreshing.
    [​IMG]

fried salted peppers..these were really good. larger salt flakes, really made it stand out

[​IMG]

deep fried mussel...they actually took the mussel then mixed it with other stuff, then deep fried it. It was ok.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beef with Foie Gras...i love how much foie we ate here in spain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a kind of omelette....filled with eggs and potatos. its a traditional dish I believe but this place was more modernish not too much so.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

In Valencia, we did go to La Abufera (where they grow rice for paella) on the Bus Turista (tourist bus).
    [​IMG]
    However, they were all leaving before eating at the paella restaruants there and we were unsure if we stayed how we were to get back into town...so we headed towards the beach to a "tourist" spot recommended by the hotel, La Pepica.

[​IMG]

The Paella takes 30+ minutes and we were straving so we ordered some garlic chicken to pass the time
    [​IMG]

Finally the Paella comes....we went with a seafood paella since we were close...to the sea. The Paella valenciana...we skipped out on in favor of having some large shrimps!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for those interested in seeing how burnt the rice is on the bottom of the pan:
    [​IMG]

there were patches of the burn rice that people seem to like...not so much so.

we liked it so much we returned...to try a different paella...
    [​IMG]

again, an appetizer. this time mussels.

[​IMG]

this time...squid ink paella. it was interesting, a bit murky tasting, the lemon helped immensely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

the plural of shrimp is shrimp

4. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I think they were a type of langoustine but i just said shrimp

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

actually you said shrimps

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

yes always suck the heads!

This is universal across Spain, although outside Catalonia it is served usually without tomato for some reason. Bread hits the table about 15 seconds after you sit down. It is a racket, except we always liked and ate the bread.

Water is also a racket. Always paying for water.

this is a Spanish Tortilla. It is about as traditional as you can get. Ms DLester makes them every month or so, mmmmm (she also makes excellent gazpacho in the summer).

your paella looks redonkulous!

I have some beautiful pictures of Spanish food but every time I upload them they look washed out, and I am just not posting them that way. I need to figure out how to do it right....

7. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

+10000

8. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

here's some La Tomatina action.

get there bright and early. left the hotel in Valencia after a breakfast buffett provided by the tour group, PP Travel. 7am is when we leave...get there at 8ish

[​IMG]

there is a greased pole that has a ham on top of it. the fight starts when someone knocks the ham off. If they don't, they just start at some random time before noon. we got there around 8Am....had 2 hours or so to walk around, get drinks, and find a spot. There were people dumping water on people from apartments. walls were tarped off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was hard to get a good pic b/c it was so crowded.

[​IMG]

over the hour of the tomato fight, 5-6 trucks full of tomatos go through the narrow street
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 minutes in, its pure pandaemonium and adrenaline. tomatoes are everywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    moar trucks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after an hour, its all over. only tomato juice remains everywhere

[​IMG]

everyone smells like V8

[​IMG]

the townspeople clean everyone off by dumping water or using a hose.
    [​IMG]

then everyone buys some grilled chorizo and drinks some beer and parties it up or passes out until the bus ride back to valencia.

1 person likes this.