• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for groceries:
DSCF9591-1.jpg

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think this brand is a little overrated. i like that price points are accessible enough and guys the likes of timboplete seem to pull it off well enough, but i dunno...wouldn't really call it a fashion line, just seems like a middle end clothing brand that's a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
i think this brand is a little overrated. i like that price points are accessible enough and guys the likes of timboplete seem to pull it off well enough, but i dunno...wouldn't really call it a fashion line, just seems like a middle end clothing brand that's a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever.

Overrated, how? Engineered Garments defines a certain aesthetic appeal and it does this very well. The construction and attention to detail is top notch all around. Not calling it a "fashion line," is little more than irrelevant when it's not intended to be in the same market as Lanvin and Raf Simons. Interesting that your criticism is that it's "a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever" when one of the biggest sensations at the moment is Robert Gellar, who has built a line out of plain buttoned dress shirts and college-style printed sweatshirts.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed Geller's work much other than what online posters have displayed in their WAYWTs...if that's the extent of his range then yes i would lump it into a category that's probably even more elementary than EG, which at least has some level of attention to detail in its line. Just like that Damir Doma brand, which I think is overhyped basics as well. I'm not discriminating to any particular aesthetic, but Superbobo for example who in his style captures what EG is trying to do very well and I think most of his stuff is very basic or thrift finds. I think 45 RPM is more interesting to me, which has elements of the workwear look but manages to transcend being just another clothing line with production techniques that elevate it to 'haute' status. Junya Watanabe also captures this pretty well when he is doing something along these lines. Maybe I haven't seen enough EG...but what i've handled in person it's just rumpled, unstructured clothing that isn't particularly outstanding. Its price points are good though, and that may have something to do with it.

For what it's worth, I think more highly of EG than most other American brands out there right now, like Rag & Bone, Gilded Age, etc.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^thanks, I take that as a compliment FtB, and yes, im thrifthy like a mf...

This discussion needs a definition of what a "fashion brand" is. In a way, EG are not more of a fashion brand than most japanese repro brands, but on the other hand, they release 2 collections every year, with a very distinct aesthetic. I really dont get the Gap comparison, since EG so obviously are going for a look, not basics.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
I really dont get the Gap comparison, since EG so obviously are going for a look, not basics.

I don't either, except that it was meant to be disparaging.

Clearly, Engineered Garments is not meant to be conceptual fashion. In fact, Daiki is very clear about not being called a "designer". His model is simple. He researches and searches out classic American items, and produces his version of them. I think that he fills this niche admirably.

There is nothing intrinsically admirable about a conceptual designer, and dismissing a line on the basis that it is not is just as closeminded as the dismissive tones some take when they post things like "That is just trendy fashion. Not Style. Not a classic." It takes much more effort and honesty to appreciate things in context, whether you are a personal fan or not.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
besides a few places like peasant, are there any places to look at/ purchase EG stuff online. (i'm talking more than 1-2 jackets) preferably most of their line. wanna see all their stuff

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It would be almost impossible to see everything that they offer on one site. You will find that most retailers are buying the most popular styles and everyone is buying different fabrics and colors in each style. There will be models that never make it to stores. It's an item driven business and we pick what works best for our point of view and how we see the collection working with other manufacturers within our stores.

Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
besides a few places like peasant, are there any places to look at/ purchase EG stuff online. (i'm talking more than 1-2 jackets) preferably most of their line. wanna see all their stuff

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some different takes on my only EG piece, the fw 07 chambray work shirt, which is pretty much my favourite shirt. As you can see, it finds its place in different styles, from "sporty" to more put together. Ive even worn it with a plaid wool tie.

beanmoc2c.jpg

bjrn012.jpg

iskogen.jpg

rotepantalone1.jpg

3 am, drunken tie steez...
IMG_0271.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads