Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Feb 28, 2007.

1. robin

robin Senior member

What does the bag look like?

2. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

3. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

[​IMG] SS07 Classic Shirt SS07 Upland Vest, Denim SS08 Double Ring Belt SS07 Fatigue Pants 2005? One True Saxon Shoes

4. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

i think this brand is a little overrated. i like that price points are accessible enough and guys the likes of timboplete seem to pull it off well enough, but i dunno...wouldn't really call it a fashion line, just seems like a middle end clothing brand that's a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

i think this brand is a little overrated. i like that price points are accessible enough and guys the likes of timboplete seem to pull it off well enough, but i dunno...wouldn't really call it a fashion line, just seems like a middle end clothing brand that's a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever.

Overrated, how? Engineered Garments defines a certain aesthetic appeal and it does this very well. The construction and attention to detail is top notch all around. Not calling it a "fashion line," is little more than irrelevant when it's not intended to be in the same market as Lanvin and Raf Simons. Interesting that your criticism is that it's "a bit more detailed than Gap or whatever" when one of the biggest sensations at the moment is Robert Gellar, who has built a line out of plain buttoned dress shirts and college-style printed sweatshirts.

6. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

I haven't noticed Geller's work much other than what online posters have displayed in their WAYWTs...if that's the extent of his range then yes i would lump it into a category that's probably even more elementary than EG, which at least has some level of attention to detail in its line. Just like that Damir Doma brand, which I think is overhyped basics as well. I'm not discriminating to any particular aesthetic, but Superbobo for example who in his style captures what EG is trying to do very well and I think most of his stuff is very basic or thrift finds. I think 45 RPM is more interesting to me, which has elements of the workwear look but manages to transcend being just another clothing line with production techniques that elevate it to 'haute' status. Junya Watanabe also captures this pretty well when he is doing something along these lines. Maybe I haven't seen enough EG...but what i've handled in person it's just rumpled, unstructured clothing that isn't particularly outstanding. Its price points are good though, and that may have something to do with it.

For what it's worth, I think more highly of EG than most other American brands out there right now, like Rag & Bone, Gilded Age, etc.

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^thanks, I take that as a compliment FtB, and yes, im thrifthy like a mf...

This discussion needs a definition of what a "fashion brand" is. In a way, EG are not more of a fashion brand than most japanese repro brands, but on the other hand, they release 2 collections every year, with a very distinct aesthetic. I really dont get the Gap comparison, since EG so obviously are going for a look, not basics.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I really dont get the Gap comparison, since EG so obviously are going for a look, not basics.

I don't either, except that it was meant to be disparaging.

Clearly, Engineered Garments is not meant to be conceptual fashion. In fact, Daiki is very clear about not being called a "designer". His model is simple. He researches and searches out classic American items, and produces his version of them. I think that he fills this niche admirably.

There is nothing intrinsically admirable about a conceptual designer, and dismissing a line on the basis that it is not is just as closeminded as the dismissive tones some take when they post things like "That is just trendy fashion. Not Style. Not a classic." It takes much more effort and honesty to appreciate things in context, whether you are a personal fan or not.

9. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

besides a few places like peasant, are there any places to look at/ purchase EG stuff online. (i'm talking more than 1-2 jackets) preferably most of their line. wanna see all their stuff

10. robin

robin Senior member

besides a few places like peasant, are there any places to look at/ purchase EG stuff online. (i'm talking more than 1-2 jackets) preferably most of their line. wanna see all their stuff
    There's an old list here, most of them are .jp sites: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...18&postcount=5

11. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

It would be almost impossible to see everything that they offer on one site. You will find that most retailers are buying the most popular styles and everyone is buying different fabrics and colors in each style. There will be models that never make it to stores. It's an item driven business and we pick what works best for our point of view and how we see the collection working with other manufacturers within our stores.

12. Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio

Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EG cinch shorts (floral)
    EG bowtie (brown plaid)
    EG Pathfinder (navy)

13. robin

robin Senior member

[​IMG]

The bowtie makes it perfect.

14. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

+1. That's awesome! Love the color of the pathfinder and it goes so well with the shorts. Also, the bow tie brings up notes from the floral pattern of the shorts, so that's even better.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

some different takes on my only EG piece, the fw 07 chambray work shirt, which is pretty much my favourite shirt. As you can see, it finds its place in different styles, from "sporty" to more put together. Ive even worn it with a plaid wool tie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 am, drunken tie steez...
    [​IMG]