• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cargo

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting peoples thoughts/experience with the toe box on the craftsman. I measure 7.5 G and bought a 7.5 G comfort craftsman which I found to be uncomfortable in the toe box and exchanged for a 8H yesterday. Sitting at my desk today I'm still finding the 8H uncomfortable and am beginning to think the toe box on the craftsman simply may not suit my feet. Has anybody else come across this toe box problem? I'm contemplating the turnout's rounder toe box as a solution.

milw50717

Reaction score

Seems like you lot didn't hear about the new Gardener Lace Up boot that RM are going to release for "W2016", which I'm assuming means AW16

http://imgur.com/a/w2sXI

They look great, if they have a comfort sole these will be an instant buy for me. Always wanted a trickers style boot with that sole. 

I need another pair of boots like San Francisco needs another coffee shop, but those rough outs are growing on me ....

I wonder of bootsonline has them ...

Must resist ...

Willpower failing.....

JwQYIas.jpg

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
I need another pair of boots like San Francisco needs another coffee shop, but those rough outs are growing on me ....

I wonder of bootsonline has them ...

Must resist ...

Willpower failing.....
JwQYIas.jpg
They aren't released yet, nor are they announced. You could email bootsonline to see if they have more info on them though

kbuzz

Reaction score
Those look great. I've been contemplating an order for the rigger boot as well

As an aside since the rm Williams nyc store has closed, where have us folks been purchasing from lately? I have not been active on this thread in quite some time. Is nugar still in the mix?

Also does anyone know the model of the chukka on the far right of the previously posted imgur pic. Looks very cool as well and an interesting alternative to we or alden

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

They aren't released yet, nor are they announced. You could email bootsonline to see if they have more info on them though

That gives me time to save my pennies for them :)

The seasons in Oz (being in the southern hemisphere) are the opposite of what they are here in the US, so winter 2016 would be summer 2016 here up here ?

Seems a long way out to be teasing with new lines.

milw50717

Reaction score

I'm interested in getting peoples thoughts/experience with the toe box on the craftsman. I measure 7.5 G and bought a 7.5 G comfort craftsman which I found to be uncomfortable in the toe box and exchanged for a 8H yesterday. Sitting at my desk today I'm still finding the 8H uncomfortable and am beginning to think the toe box on the craftsman simply may not suit my feet. Has anybody else come across this toe box problem? I'm contemplating the turnout's rounder toe box as a solution.

What is uncomfortable about the toe box, I'm assuming not wide enough ?

You seem to have done what is normal when this happens - wider fitting and/or larger size. Sometimes a certain boot will not simply not be right for your feet and you do have to move on and try something else.

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
That gives me time to save my pennies for them
smile.gif

The seasons in Oz (being in the southern hemisphere) are the opposite of what they are here in the US, so winter 2016 would be summer 2016 here up here ?

Seems a long way out to be teasing with new lines.
Not sure if they're flipped, I think they are for domestic brands i.e. we are heading into AW15, so judging by what the guy said in the email this will come out in a year... So yeah you're right, does seem way too far out to be advertising these, and I've seen on multiple instagram posts that they are AW15 so we may be surprised yet :)

Last edited:

cargo

Reaction score
What is uncomfortable about the toe box, I'm assuming not wide enough ?

You seem to have done what is normal when this happens - wider fitting and/or larger size. Sometimes a certain boot will not simply not be right for your feet and you do have to move on and try something else.

yeah width is the issue. will try turnouts tomorrow. certainly looking forward to eventually getting some boots I'll keep!

redboat

Reaction score
I was able to try on two pairs of RM Williams chisel toe ankle boots:

1. AU/UK size 9.5 G Craftsmen in Chestnut Smooth leather (model B543Y)
2. AU/UK size 10 G Comfort Craftsmen in Suede leather (model B543S)

They both fit pretty well, but... Any help with some or all of the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

A. Although the length was fine, the 9.5 G Craftsmen were slightly tight across the ball of my right foot. The left foot was fine. Will the boots stretch with wearing? The 10 G Comfort Craftsmen fit OK, but if they will stretch out after a little wear, I'd prefer to get the smaller size, 9.5 G's.

B. Is the sizing of the boots I tried on the same as the other Craftsmen boots that RM Williams makes? That is, will they fit the same as the B540, B541, B543, B543F, B543N, B543LN, and B543KN models?

C. Is the sizing of the boots I tried the same as the Henley (model B538)?

D. Which of the chisel toed boots has the most comfortable sole to walk in? How do the Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsmen (model B543F), the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N), and the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) compare in walking comfort?

F. Are soles of the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N) and the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) identical?

G. Does the lack of lining in the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) have any effect on their comfort or durability relative to the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N)?

H. Why is the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) less costly than the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N)?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't reply to any of the questions on sizes, but my advice is NEVER hope any boot or shoe stretches - thats one of my biggest mistakes. If it doesn't wear well on the first try, don't hope it will later on...

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
All rounder is made of a less dressy leather, an oil kip leather, that could be the reason for the price difference. The soles are identical on the comfort models I believe, and I think the consensus is that the comfort sole is more comfortable than the DFC sole. I can't vouch for the comfort of different models, but I have the comfort craftsman and recently I went to a festival where I stood up all day, dancing and all and my feet didn't ache at the end of the day. It really raised the bar for me in terms of what I expect from footwear now.

wxxnxs

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]I was able to try on two pairs of RM Williams chisel toe ankle boots:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]1. AU/UK size 9.5 G Craftsmen in Chestnut Smooth leather (model B543Y)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]2. AU/UK size 10 G Comfort Craftsmen in Suede leather (model B543S)

They both fit pretty well, but... Any help with some or all of the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

A. Although the length was fine, the 9.5 G Craftsmen were slightly tight across the ball of my right foot. The left foot was fine. Will the boots stretch with wearing? The 10 G Comfort Craftsmen fit OK, but if they will stretch out after a little wear, I'd prefer to get the smaller size, 9.5 G's.

B. Is the sizing of the boots I tried on the same as the other Craftsmen boots that RM Williams makes? That is, will they fit the same as the B540, B541, B543, B543F, B543N, B543LN, and B543KN models?

C. Is the sizing of the boots I tried the same as the Henley (model B538)?

D. Which of the chisel toed boots has the most comfortable sole to walk in? How do the Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsmen (model B543F), the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N), and the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) compare in walking comfort?

F. Are soles of the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N) and the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) identical?

G. Does the lack of lining in the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) have any effect on their comfort or durability relative to the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N)?

H. Why is the Comfort Allrounder (model B543LN) less costly than the Comfort Craftsmen (model B543N)?
[/COLOR]

I will try to answer some of your questions here:

A. 9.5 & 10, the only difference is the length, as both of them are G fittings, so width is not changed. If you feel 10 is more comfortable, then go for it, it's very common that people have slightly difference between their feet. However, you should always go for the larger one.

B. They should be the same, but they are all hand made boots, don't expect all of them have exactly the same feeling, as they are not built by machine.

C. Please apply to answer B.

D. The most comfortable should be comfort sole, but I recently picked up two pairs of leather sole, and found out they have improved its making and they are quite OK (not as hard as before), and I personally prefer leather sole because it's one of the most classic design they have. DFC has its inner sole inside, and can be removed, but I found DFC is quite heavy, not all of people like it such as me.

E. Should be identical but double check with RMW, you can leave a question on their facebook page.

F. The only difference between them which I can tell is the toe shape, Comfort Craftsmen looks more dressy.

G. I think because of its popularity.

Last edited:

zarkov

Reaction score
How big is the difference between G and H widths in reality?

I recently tried on a pair of Craftsman boots and sz 8.5 was too narrow in the toe box while sz 9 was too long. I'm not sure if I should go for 8.5 G and hope they stretch slightly or 8.5 H which I can't try on locally.

redboat

Reaction score
I will try to answer some of your questions here:

A. 9.5 & 10, the only difference is the length, as both of them are G fittings, so width is not changed. If you feel 10 is more comfortable, then go for it, it's very common that people have slightly difference between their feet. However, you should always go for the larger one.

B. They should be the same, but they are all hand made boots, don't expect all of them have exactly the same feeling, as they are not built by machine.

C. Please apply to answer B.

D. The most comfortable should be comfort sole, but I recently picked up two pairs of leather sole, and found out they have improved its making and they are quite OK (not as hard as before), and I personally prefer leather sole because it's one of the most classic design they have. DFC has its inner sole inside, and can be removed, but I found DFC is quite heavy, not all of people like it such as me.

E. Should be identical but double check with RMW, you can leave a question on their facebook page.

F. The only difference between them which I can tell is the toe shape, Comfort Craftsmen looks more dressy.

G. I think because of its popularity.
Thanks so much for your help! Barry of http://bootsonline.com.au/ also replied to these questions via email; here are his comments:

All boots will stretch over time if there is pressure on the leather. That's how cows can get fat.

I strongly believe that the boots should be comfortable right from the beginning.

All those B543 Craftsman models are made on the same lasts and the fittings are identical.

The Henley has a wide front (H width) and a narrower heel (G width). Very good boot but much broader in fit and appearance

Personally I prefer the Comfort Sole and Insole although many will swear that the Dynamic Flex is the most comfortable.

Soles are identical on the Comfort Craftsman and Comfort Allrounder. The difference is the leather the boot is made from. Oiled leather is far less expensive that dressier Yearling leather.

Lining boots is primarily to add body to the leather. The oiled leather is the Comfort Allrounder is heavier and does not require additional support. Comfort level is the same.

Hope this helped

corgi invasion

Reaction score
I was going to get some polish for my Chestnut and Whisky RMs, I usually use the RMW polish, but can't get hold of it easily here in Germany.
So far I was looking at Saphir, for those who use this, would the following be a good approximation? whisky = '03 light brown' and chestnut = '05 dark brown'.
Are there any other good alternatives?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads