• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Squatting 500 or benching 315?

Last edited:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Flame is a throwing athlete, sure, benching is good. I don't think there's a single top shotputter that can't bench over 455. I don't know the level of athleticism that Flame has, but unless he is a thrower, I don't see how benching should be a main movement. In basketball, it would be very demphasized (vs lower body work and second pull work), but sure, put it in rotation.

The point i am making is my issue with how Flame worded it.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How important is it that I eat foods that aren't protein sludge? Need to invent a better name for it.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He could be a sprinter. You need a good amount of upper body strength for that. And come on Knucks, bench pressing might not directly make him hit 4 more shots per game, but being in overall better shape and stronger can only help you in just about every sport.

Thanks, yes I'm a sprinter, and yes upper body strength helps us explode out of the block and having upper body power helps to power through my stride.

And upper body strength is essential for ball. It doesn't help your jumpshot, but it is essential in boxing out, finishing with contact, and setting screens.

[QUOTE name = "knucks"]The point i am making is my issue with how Flame worded it.[/QUOTE]
Cool dude. Just that my track coach wants us to gain upper body power, and has been advocating a powerlifting bench for the past few months. For above reasons, please see this:

http://www.stack.com/video/84630254...Field-Why-Sprinters-Need-Upper-Body-Strength/

[QUOTE name = "knucks"] it would be very demphasized (vs lower body work and second pull work), but sure, put it in rotation.[/QUOTE]
and seriously, I have been playing ball for over 10 years, yes lower body power is more needed for the sport, but competing @ inter-varsity level (which I do) upper body strength helps a ton in finishing layups when I'm drawing contact with 6'3 to 6'5 post players. Essential for me since I'm a slashing wing player.

Last edited:

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an uneducated hunch that a strict press would be better than a bench for many sports.

dubcbadass

Reaction score

I have an uneducated hunch that a strict press would be better than a bench for many sports.

This is the best at one and good at none vs. good at most argument. The reason foot-race milers on the track are so fast is because they are all atrophied and can't do a pullup. If my sports were my job, I would sacrifice general fitness for them. But they are not, so I prefer to be generally fit (strength via powerlifting, quick with oly lifting/sprinting, nimble with cross training sports) and do some sport specific training. A general fitness routine won't make you look like a musclebound freak, but it does a body good and is probably better for longevity.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And a push press even better.

maplefuturist

Reaction score
Man, I really want to try O-lifting.

O-lifters: Do you compete or just do it for fun? How many times a week do you train? What do you do exactly? How did you get started?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm getting a steroid shot in my rotator cuff today.. it was caused by stress of olympic lifting FWIW

edit: Also all my pants are super loose around the waist now FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Last edited:

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eating like crazy and I've gained about 8 lbs since hitting my absolute low (though probably only like 5 since I started bulking, and I'm sure a decent portion of that is water). I've noticed fat gain yet I can still see my serratus so I'm not too worried about it. Apparently this bulk is going well, though I haven't compared progress photos and it's tough to tell from looking in the mirror every day. Lifts have been going up fairly consistently though so that's good.

PWO meal yesterday was a box of Kraft mac and cheese with two turkey dogs mixed in, some extra cheese added in and three glasses of 2% milk. I'm having a lot of trouble eating enough calories/protein, though I'm going through about a tub of cottage cheese or greek yogurt a day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads