1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

2. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

Because one has better athletic carryover than the other?

3. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

If Flame is a throwing athlete, sure, benching is good. I don't think there's a single top shotputter that can't bench over 455. I don't know the level of athleticism that Flame has, but unless he is a thrower, I don't see how benching should be a main movement. In basketball, it would be very demphasized (vs lower body work and second pull work), but sure, put it in rotation.

The point i am making is my issue with how Flame worded it.

4. acularw

acularw Senior Member

Almost enough to make me want to crossfit. New coach at my gym.

[​IMG]

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Strong neck presence.

6. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

How important is it that I eat foods that aren't protein sludge? Need to invent a better name for it.

7. Flame

Flame Distinguished Member

Thanks, yes I'm a sprinter, and yes upper body strength helps us explode out of the block and having upper body power helps to power through my stride.

And upper body strength is essential for ball. It doesn't help your jumpshot, but it is essential in boxing out, finishing with contact, and setting screens.

[QUOTE name = "knucks"]The point i am making is my issue with how Flame worded it.[/QUOTE]
    Cool dude. Just that my track coach wants us to gain upper body power, and has been advocating a powerlifting bench for the past few months. For above reasons, please see this:

http://www.stack.com/video/84630254...Field-Why-Sprinters-Need-Upper-Body-Strength/

[QUOTE name = "knucks"] it would be very demphasized (vs lower body work and second pull work), but sure, put it in rotation.[/QUOTE]
    and seriously, I have been playing ball for over 10 years, yes lower body power is more needed for the sport, but competing @ inter-varsity level (which I do) upper body strength helps a ton in finishing layups when I'm drawing contact with 6'3 to 6'5 post players. Essential for me since I'm a slashing wing player.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Distinguished Member

I have an uneducated hunch that a strict press would be better than a bench for many sports.

9. dubcbadass

dubcbadass Senior Member

This is the best at one and good at none vs. good at most argument. The reason foot-race milers on the track are so fast is because they are all atrophied and can't do a pullup. If my sports were my job, I would sacrifice general fitness for them. But they are not, so I prefer to be generally fit (strength via powerlifting, quick with oly lifting/sprinting, nimble with cross training sports) and do some sport specific training. A general fitness routine won't make you look like a musclebound freak, but it does a body good and is probably better for longevity.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

And a push press even better.

11. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior Member

12. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior Member

Man, I really want to try O-lifting.

O-lifters: Do you compete or just do it for fun? How many times a week do you train? What do you do exactly? How did you get started?

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

both
    6 (this wk 9)
    lift
    talked to my coach

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

I'm getting a steroid shot in my rotator cuff today.. it was caused by stress of olympic lifting FWIW

edit: Also all my pants are super loose around the waist now FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Distinguished Member

I've been eating like crazy and I've gained about 8 lbs since hitting my absolute low (though probably only like 5 since I started bulking, and I'm sure a decent portion of that is water). I've noticed fat gain yet I can still see my serratus so I'm not too worried about it. Apparently this bulk is going well, though I haven't compared progress photos and it's tough to tell from looking in the mirror every day. Lifts have been going up fairly consistently though so that's good.

PWO meal yesterday was a box of Kraft mac and cheese with two turkey dogs mixed in, some extra cheese added in and three glasses of 2% milk. I'm having a lot of trouble eating enough calories/protein, though I'm going through about a tub of cottage cheese or greek yogurt a day.