• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Suit Shopping Experience Like? - Gym Go-ers and Athletically Built Guys

promark809

Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/156289/random-health-and-exercise-thoughts/8190

I've noticed there's a good amount of people here on SF who enjoy lifting weights and hitting up the gym and doing all sorts of other activities (cycling, swimming, climbing, etc.). All of us who exercise regularly know that the way our bodies change while exercising affects the way/how/where/what we shop for clothing, especially for suits and dress shirts.

So, how many of you guys that exercise regularly are having trouble finding properly fitting suits? I'm 5' 9" and 180 lbs. I've got a 6" drop from my chest and waist. I know there are plenty of guys out there that have a way bigger drop than I do, so the suit shopping experience must be that much worse. haha. Whenever I go out to shop for OTR suits, they're either too boxy (not fitted enough) or WAY TOO tight (only for the slimmest individual). I also played soccer in high school and continue to deadlift and powerclean, so my thighs are larger than the average person's so I always have trouble finding properly fitting dress pants that give me some breathing room in the crotch area. haha.

I'm curious to see if there are other guys out there having the same problem I have? I know MTM suits are a good solution, but I'm also wondering if any of you guys encountered an OTR suit company that fits athletically built guys pretty well?

atila

Reaction score
Well, I played soccer through highschool, still workout regularly (actually deadlifted 225lb/2 reps for the first time last night - big accomplishment for me as I'm small) and have a 7" drop.

I don't think being athletic has much to do with it, though. Regardless of spending $300, or $3,000 on your suit, it's going to need to be tailored.

Granted, some will need less than others, but I usually buy mid tier suits (Brooks Brothers etc) and spend about $75-$120 to get my pants and jacket tailored depending on the suit. Though, I may need more than others considering I am 5'4 140lbs and my 38S suits are always a bit long on me.

Torsion

Reaction score
I have a very active lifestyle and have done so for at least the past 13 years - bodybuilding/martial arts/dragon boat racing!I have found it very difficult to find OTR that fit not only the upper but lower body especially when I was dedicated to inflating my body to above average proportions and also with the change into mainstream styling with "skinny/slim fit" hitting the market...

In my experience I found Boss as being a reasonable fit for my stats, I am 5'8" and can weigh between 163-171lb depending on season, I would definitely say I have an athletic physique.Not had too much experience of other brands as I couldn't fit into most!There were so many that I looked at, tried on but just didn't fit.

I no longer buy OTR and converted to bespoke in 2007, not looked back since. I've stopped the bodybuilding routines but still lead a very active lifestyle to make sure I can still fit in my suits!I would say it tends to cost more for MTM and bespoke but totally converted due to fit and longevity if you choose wisely.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is zero chance anybody makes an OTR suit that will fit me.

Simple I go with odd jackets.

lastlight

Reaction score
Big guy and chunky, focused more on lifting big then physique as the gym is more of a stress release thing as opposed to fitness. 48 chest and 36 waist......... So huge drop without physique for really slimfit clothes.

If you have big thighs that have shape to them (as opposed to elephant legs) what has often worked for me is sizing up slim fit pants to a 38 and taking in the waist. For suits though it's rather difficult.

For shirts try the brooks brothers slim fit (if your shoulders are big), they won't tailor the non iron for some reason but you can get it done elsewhere. Fit's the upper body but gets taken in on the sleeves and waist.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big guy and chunky, focused more on lifting big then physique as the gym is more of a stress release thing as opposed to fitness. 48 chest and 36 waist......... So huge drop without physique for really slimfit clothes.

If you have big thighs that have shape to them (as opposed to elephant legs) what has often worked for me is sizing up slim fit pants to a 38 and taking in the waist. For suits though it's rather difficult.

For shirts try the brooks brothers slim fit (if your shoulders are big), they won't tailor the non iron for some reason but you can get it done elsewhere. Fit's the upper body but gets taken in on the sleeves and waist.

I have around a 10-12" drop (it varies) and I wear a lot of BB slim fit. They also advised me against tailoring them because of complications that can arise with the seams/fabric in certain places - much of it had to do with what I needed done. Being that the shirt fit me pretty good off the rack, it wasn't worth the cost (very expensive for what I wanted) or the risk. The extra slim fit shirts were better around the sleeves, but they were too small for my chest/back - same thing with Hugo Boss shirts. It seems as though any shirt that fits my arms/sides well is inevitably too small in the chest area.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is zero chance anybody makes an OTR suit that will fit me.

Simple I go with odd jackets.

When I was an avid cyclist I couldn't find suits to fit because of an 11" drop. I've never been a big guy at all, but my proportions were off: my shoulders were broad, waist was small, and my thighs were huge. The only viable option for me at the time with a limited grad student budget was to buy suit separates. The suits weren't great but they served my needs at the time.

I still have a significant drop, but since I no longer cycle it isn't quite as difficult getting suits to fit decently. However, the fit of OTR suits no longer pleases me and MTM disappointed me.

promark809

Reaction score

When I was an avid cyclist I couldn't find suits to fit because of an 11" drop. I've never been a big guy at all, but my proportions were off: my shoulders were broad, waist was small, and my thighs were huge. The only viable option for me at the time with a limited grad student budget was to buy suit separates. The suits weren't great but they served my needs at the time.

I still have a significant drop, but since I no longer cycle it isn't quite as difficult getting suits to fit decently. However, the fit of OTR suits no longer pleases me and MTM disappointed me.

I'm curious, what was it that disappointed you with MTM?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm curious, what was it that disappointed you with MTM?

I tried MTM several times from the same brand, and each successive MTM suit was better than the one before it, but after the fourth, I decided I'd had enough. The fit remained off; in fact, my OTR suits from the same brand fit better. Specifically, the fit issues with the jackets included sleeves that did not hang well, rolls beneath the collars, and bodies too full. The pants didn't hang well either. Because of my significant drop, tailors usually re-cut my suit pants, but I'm not convinced this company did so, and if they did, the job was poorly done. Subsequent visits for tweaking helped with some of the issues, but not all, and even created a few new ones. Please understand that the full-retail MTM suits didn't look terrible, but they didn't look better than what I'd bought OTR, on discount mind you, from the same brand. Hence my disappointment.

malat

Reaction score
I am exactly your same size 5'9 and I bounce between 175-180lbs. I wear a size 42 coat and 31-32 pants. Nothing fits me off the rack without considerable tailoring.I went to RL the other day to find a classic navy blazer and none of the 6 different cuts I tried on even came close to being worth tailoring. For suits/jackets, I have had good luck with the Zegna Roma fit, but it is pricey. My other suits required extensive tailoring or are MTO. I always have to have pants tailored because I have large butt and thighs (squats!) and generally have to go up a size and have the waist taken in. Short answer: find a great tailor and become great friends.

Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score
So good to see a thread like this. I was beginning to think I was alone in this problem. I'm 5'10, 195lbs, wear 46R (or 48R depending on brand), have a 30.5" waist. On top of the drop, I can't wear flat front pants due to my butt and thighs.

But, with that said, it prompted me to work on my own personal style a bit younger than I perhaps would have otherwise.

I normally wear trousers and a sport coat - luckily this is acceptable in my field - but the only decent and affordable option I've found is some Lauren by Ralph Lauren suits that come in separates. I know they are not the best, but until I can afford to have my suits made, they are the best option. Again, though, I seldom have meetings where trousers and a sport coat is not acceptable.

promark809

Reaction score

I tried MTM several times from the same brand, and each successive MTM suit was better than the one before it, but after the fourth, I decided I'd had enough. The fit remained off; in fact, my OTR suits from the same brand fit better. Specifically, the fit issues with the jackets included sleeves that did not hang well, rolls beneath the collars, and bodies too full. The pants didn't hang well either. Because of my significant drop, tailors usually re-cut my suit pants, but I'm not convinced this company did so, and if they did, the job was poorly done. Subsequent visits for tweaking helped with some of the issues, but not all, and even created a few new ones. Please understand that the full-retail MTM suits didn't look terrible, but they didn't look better than what I'd bought OTR, on discount mind you, from the same brand. Hence my disappointment.

Yea, that's interesting because I'm starting to run into the same thing, too. The MTM company I shop from have so many different tailors all throughout China, that even though my measurements remain the same, each suit will be delivered slightly different each time since each tailor interprets the numbers differently.

Wjleier

Reaction score
Ah, the one time it sucks to be athletic. I'm a gym enthusiast. I played hockey through college and now weight train pretty hard. I'm 5'9 177 and have a 11 inch drop from the chest (44) to my waste (33). The real problem, for me however, is my leg measurement(26). Obviously, most aren't shaped like me. I used to find that some of my jackets would fit well everywhere besides the "peak" I would get in my lapels from the jacket not fitting my chest but fitting my shoulders. For trousers i would order about a 36 and get A LOT of tailoring done on them. Recently I have begun having my stuff MTM. I can say this is the best idea I have ever had!!!.

inq89

Reaction score
I also have a drop 11 with a 42 chest, almost 43, which practically makes buying suits OTR almost impossible. Once I reach my ideal weight I'll be in the market for a new suit, but 'll probably have to resort to suiting separates or MTM.

Equally annoying are pants and shorts. Squat booty has made even traditional fits look tight on me and my lower body isn't that big.

Last edited:

linds_15

Reaction score
I don't have it as bad as some of you. But Ive been in the market for a new suit, got a new one at saks yesterday actually. But everything I try on that has a great fit in the jacket the pants are laughable. And anything with a descent pant the jacket needed too much done. Cn be very frustrating, I obviously don't mind having to go get some tailoring done but not to the extent where the jacket is almost being redone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads