• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is SF Wearing 3.13.2014

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
e0d9n0b5
Original WAYWT Post Here

LL
LL

What this looks like: “The best programmer ENCOM ever saw, and he winds up playing space cowboy in some backroom.”

“I thought that was pretty good,” you say to your friend as you walk out of the theater.

“It was okay. I liked the songs. You know they do all that with computers?”

“The songs?”

“No, but everything else. All the animation.”

“Oh, yeah. What was your favorite part?"

"Well, I know it's lame, but I've always loved a fairy-tale wedding."

"Sure."

You walk in silence for a few minutes, looking at your friend out of the corner of your eye.

“Hey, uh, could you even see anything?”

“I saw everything. I saw things you wouldn’t believe. I kind of have a headache, though.”

“You’re supposed to use their 3-D glasses, idiot. Your head probably hurts from staring at fuzzy pictures for two and a half hours with your sunglasses on.”

“Not cute, dude. You don’t have to be rude. These glasses let me see more than you could possibly imagine. Worlds of -”

“Yeah, yeah. Want some Advil?”

“Thanks.”

The Goods:

Glasses: NBDH by Effector
Coat: Kolor
Suit: Yang Li
Mesh Tee: Four Horsemen
Derbies: Diet Butcher Slim Skin

You're one of the SF posters whose endless list of references, pop-culture or otherwise, always catches me off guard. How do your interests - aesthetic, cultural, musical, whatever - work their way into your wardrobe?

It may surprise you to hear that they don't, consciously at least. I buy clothing that I think will find longevity in my wardrobe, that is somewhat neutral or simple, yet interesting. I don't try to let some overarching idea of what my style should be, with regards to my tastes in other areas, dictate my purchases; instead picking things that I enjoy looking at, and enjoy wearing. My wardrobe, and as a result my style, is something that I try to let dictate itself. I have a good idea of what I like, and don't like, and just go with gut instinct. After nearly 7 years of buying expensive clothing, I feel like I've found my niche, and never wear anything I don't feel 100% comfortable in. Feeling comfortable in your clothing leads to confidence, and confidence is more stylish than any clothing could be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KingJulien
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Everybody loves Dunkin!

“Did your reality change while we were sitting here, just now?” says your friend.

The two of you are sitting in a coffee shop, catching up – which means that you’re listening to him talk about “reality changes” and his daughter’s boyfriend. Your almond-milk chai latte is getting cold. He stares at you.

“Oh, uh, totally,” you offer. “There’s, um, a greater force at work, here. Something is...rising.” Your friend nods and goes back to complaining about The Boyfriend’s taste in clothes while you make encouraging noises over a slice of gluten-free dairy-free gmo-free taste-free vegan zucchini bread with the same texture as bird-shredded cardboard.

“That’s him!” says your friend in a not-even-almost-whisper.

“Where?” you say, trying to be quiet.

You follow his pointing finger towards the entrance, where a young man has just walked in. You’re quiet. Your friend is chuckling to himself.

“That’s him?” you say.

“Yeah.”

“That’s The Boyfriend?”

“Yeah. Just look at him.”

“Ralph?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re an idiot. And this bread ******* sucks.”

The Goods:

Cardigan: Inverallan
Shirt: Uniqlo
Denim: John Elliot
Boots: Maison Martin Margiela

How do the clothes you wear reflect your lifestyle?

To be honest, I would have a hard time defining my ‘lifestyle’ in any cohesive way – I live in a city but also love to travel or just to hike out into the woods for a while with a camera and tripod. I think this is why I’ve always found so many totally different styles appealing; sometimes I want to wear pressed wool trousers with a sweater and blazer, but on other days I just want to wear boots, raw denim, and a tattered t-shirt. That’s one of the things I love most about fashion; you can be whatever you feel like being today and then change it up entirely tomorrow.

So, to answer the question more directly, lately I’ve found that buying things that I love, rather than worrying about whether they fit into my existing lifestyle, has made me happiest. Usually I manage to work it in somehow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lmaozedong
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: Fuuma

You never thought you’d actually get invited to one of these parties: abandoned alleyway, unmarked metal door, unfriendly eyes glaring at you through one of those viewing slots.

You hold your invitation up so that the eyes can see it, sweat starting to bead under your collar. The eyes disappear. This is the right place, isn’t it? The guy you met yesterday was adamant that you come, and you decided to be daring. He also said “Theatre,” so you dressed up a little, which you’re starting to regret.

The seconds drag on. You wonder if you’ve been banging on the door of a random basement, or worse, some sort of drug den. Before you can chicken out, the door swings open. The guy from last night is standing there, outfit unchanged, smiling at you. He ushers you down a set of steps into a large room as the heavy door slams shut behind you. A stainless steel table is all that stands in the center of a circular chamber ringed by windows.

“Come, come,” says the man. “Sit, please!”

“I thought you said we were going to a theatre?”

“Ah, but this is a theatre.”

Faces in white masks stare down at you from behind the glass.

“So, uh, what’s the show?”

“You, my friend,” he says - and lifts a needle.

The Goods:
Jacket: Rick Owens
Sweater, Shirt and Pants: Patrik Ervell
Shoes: Maison Martin Margiela

Rick and Patrik? What gives? What's the idea here?

A while back, I decided to stop worrying about brand synergy and started buying clothes that just appeal to me. I think that while designers have a message that they want to communicate with their collections, when their pieces get into our closets it becomes up to us how we want to utilize them and what we want to convey. I own clothes for my own enjoyment, and part of what I enjoy about clothing being able to wear whatever I want with whatever else I want without overthinking it. My wardrobe has everything from Rick Owens to Patrik Ervell to Nigel Cabourn. The variety makes me happy. I don't think a wardrobe needs a theme - it naturally evolves into an expression of one's personal likes and dislikes.

That being said, I do specifically like the tension that having a diverse wardrobe creates. Patrik Ervell is very clean. The silhouette is razor sharp and his clothes have this buttoned-up nerdiness. Rick Owens is glamorous, grungy, rebellious - basically the polar opposite of Ervell.

I’m somewhere in between.

MrTony92
Original WAYWT post here

LL

What this looks like: The bad part of town never looked so good.

“Hey. Hey, you. Want to buy a chinchilla?”

The guy leaning off the veranda into the narrow, empty street appears to be serious. He holds out a loosely-wrapped newspaper that’s rustling and emitting muffled squeaks.

“Um, no thanks,” you say.

“Cheap,” he says, whispering loudly. “Good quality, too.”

“I’m okay.”

“Softest chinchillas in this hemisphere. I’ll give you two for one, today. Just for you.”

“Do people often sell chinchillas on the street?”

He dismisses you with a wave and a frown, sniffs one armpit, and peers down the other side of the street.

“No, no. These are special chinchillas. Very smart. Very cute. Very deadly. Three for one, okay?”

“Look, I really don’t need a chinchilla, let alone three. I’m on vacation.”

His voice drops even lower, and he holds out a hand. Something small and fuzzy squirms in his palm. “Need? My friend, no one man needs this much power. But do you want it? Do you have the courage to reach out and take it? To see what the future holds?”

A gust races down the street. Your fingers tingle, and the hairs on the back of your neck begin to rise. The man’s smile grows larger and larger and larger until it’s all that you can see.

“Nah, sorry. My future holds more than adorable rodents. Where’s the beach?”

The Goods:
Jacket: Rick Owens
Tee: John Elliot
Pants: Ann Demeulemeester
Shoes: Maison Martin Margiela

What's your usual uniform like?

I really don’t have one. I discovered this site not long ago and am at that stage where everything is so damn exciting. I’m very impressionable, and I want to experiment. I guess I have a general direction I want to go but it’s not hard to distract me. With so many awesome posters on this site, and the diverse range of aesthetics I’m exposed to, I find my wardrobe isn’t the most harmonious… It’s more than a coincidence that half my closet is inspired by, or directly consists of forum hand-me-downs from some of my favourite contributors. Parker’s black TOJ A2 fit, your old Raf Simons blazer and auburn sidezips, Spacepope’s everything-he’s-selling-that-fits-me. Mixing and matching, and finding different ways to incorporate interesting pieces is what I find the most rewarding. At some point I'm sure I’d love to have a cohesive wardrobe and uniform I can rely on, but for now I’m having way too much fun.

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol those titles are classic. Really does remind me of Fuuma

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting how similar the responses to different questions were

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• I don't try to let some overarching idea of what my style should be, with regards to my tastes in other areas, dictate my purchases; instead picking things that I enjoy looking at, and enjoy wearing.
  • So, to answer the question more directly, lately I’ve found that buying things that I love, rather than worrying about whether they fit into my existing lifestyle, has made me happiest. Usually I manage to work it in somehow.
  • I don't think a wardrobe needs a theme - it naturally evolves into an expression of one's personal likes and dislikes

C'mon dudes, saying I wear what I like isn't saying anything at all. It may be true, or even should be true, but isn't there some story?

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C'mon dudes, saying I wear what I like isn't saying anything at all. It may be true, or even should be true, but isn't there some story?

not really. maybe 5+ years ago i had some pretentious idea of what my style was, but nowadays i just like to buy cool things and wear them =]

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the PantsMan on this one - how did you get to where you are? What caused the progression? How did this expression/progression develop? "How did you decide what "cool" is?

I'm considering asking all four entries the same question for the next installment, just to encourage people to dig a little more.

Not a dig on this week's contributors at all - but definitely an angle that I think could stimulate some useful discussion on the forum in general about why we buy, relative to what.

Last edited:

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the answer is equally as boring for me. i just bought a ton of things that didn't work out for me, for whatever reason, and i analyzed what about them wasn't doing it for me. rise & repeat. i guess if i were to phrase this in an answer to the actual question i was asked, i would say that i try not to let those cultural influences dictate my personal style. just because something looks cool in a wong kar-wai movie, doesn't mean it will look good on me.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the PantsMan on this one - how did you get to where you are? What caused the progression? How did this expression/progression develop? "How did you decide what "cool" is?

I'm considering asking all four entries the same question for the next installment, just to encourage people to dig a little more.

Not a dig on this week's contributors at all - but definitely an angle that I think could stimulate some useful discussion on the forum in general about why we buy, relative to what.

I could probably give more interesting answers to these questions. I definitely have certain things I look for when I'm shopping... it just doesn't really have much to do with my lifestyle, you know.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Uhh, are you suggesting that my question was not hard-hitting enough?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PC x Stephan Schneider jean collaboration. SNS will be in charge of the re-editions. The ultimate sizing combination.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hear they're being made on the CP sole...will they be too narrow?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear they're being made on the CP sole...will they be too narrow?

It will depend on how you like your shoes to fit. What's your size in the Alden trubalance, nephew?

Last edited:

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to describe my style in one phrase, it would be "American lumberjack samurai educated at an Ivy, time transported to 2025 and back with a grudge."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads