• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All clothes I buy are too big. Will gym help?

Farhad123

Reaction score
I'm a 17 year old guy, 174 cm (5'9"), skinny 55 kg (120 Ib) and I have an awful time finding clothes that fit me. The lower body fits just fine but when it comes to the upper body even if I buy slim fit XS clothes they're too big. And it's the same across brands and garment types. The main problem areas are the chest and the arms. The waist isn't great either but it's better than the other two. Just as an example my measurements on the chest is 82 cm while the smallest size blazer is 96 cm. I have a bunch of good clothes that just don't fit and I don't want to replace them all because that is quite the expense (and I won't be able to find new ones that will fit either). My question is if anyone else have this problem and how much the gym will help me fit into my clothes. As you can guess by my weight I'm all new to weight lifting. Does that mean that my clothes will start fitting well withing 6-12 months with a good workout program and diet?

Thanks guys

rjc149

Reaction score
The gym isn’t a magic pill that will automatically make your body look the way you want. Yes, you are underweight and should be lifting weights in general, but how motivated and disciplined you are with actually going to the gym routinely and making yourself suffer on the iron is not up to the gym. It’s up to you.

I got serious about weightlifting when I was your age, and it’s still a life-long habit 20 years later. Yes, one of the smaller benefits of having a good physique is that all clothing tends to flatter you. Primary benefits are strengthened heart, muscles, bones and ligaments, better blood circulation, higher testosterone levels, improved mood and mental health, and increased metabolism which makes keeping body fat to healthy levels easier. When I was 17, I was doing it for the girls and respect. Perfectly valid reasons too.

Do some research on bodybuilding, start eating more, and most importantly, form the habit of lifting and exercising routinely.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd counsel patience, a good diet (lots of protein) and plenty of exercise. I was pretty darn skinny when I graduated from prep school at age 17. Twenty years later, guys were asking me if I were a professional wrestler! Around the same time, I met a big guy who seemed to be about my equal physically...turned out he'd played tackle for the Miami Dolphins! My suggestion would be to not spend much on wardrobe building. You don't need to go to a gym. Just start out with a good set of adjustable dumbbells, followed by a bench. My gym has nearly always been my home.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like swimming for fitness ( and fun ! ) and also it tends to sculpt a v torso . open water if you have it or lane swimming works too .

i'll edit to add it might make you slimmer through the waist and hips so if it's just weight gain it might not be optimal for your specific question .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads