• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You put on 10-25lb on your squat/deadlift/bench in a year and your happy with those results? I would understand if you were stan efferding and went from a 885 to a 905 squat in a year, but you didn't even get through the noob gains.

Photos from last night, went from 210ish to 180lb whilst acquiring strength gains.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Squat wise, my noob gains from inception to YTD would be, 95 lb then and 155 lb yesterday. I thought about going up to 185 lb as I can go through the full motion and do 5 reps at 155. I wimped out

And FWIW there is this one kid who started later than me, and present day, is stronger and looks meaner than I do. Good job to him. Like I said, different learning curves and seriousness to this "sport"
I'll add in that my brother who has always been drilling me looks 2x bigger in frame if we stood side by side. Again, his commitment by far is greater than mine.

And you look good slimmed down. Gratz

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to ski conditioning class at the mountain school, did three cycles and I asked whats next? Dude looked around I was the only one finished, told me I don't need to bother coming back. #feelsgoodman

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ghetto tasty: Did you ever figure out progressive loading? iirc, you weren't doing it right at one point (and it's like the most critical concept of making gains)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that you bring it up, I never looked into it (I feel bad now :()
http://stronglifts.com/muscle-confusion-progressive-loading/

But just did a quick Google and I understand the jest of it. And FWIW it has been what I've been doing for a good while now. Sometimes I cannot find my weights b/c some asshole misplaced them in the gym. I am less hesitant jumping to the next weight up and surprise myself when I can pound it out.

I am also eating more. I would say I am not under eating as before but just maintaining. Feels good when I surprise myself lifting more than I can. I just hate it when I slack off toward the last 1-2 exercises and I tend to go for a safer weight because I feel beat e.g. barbell bicep curl last night. BUT who cares about biceps AMIRITE?? bro

And after a year at the gym, 1 dude asked me to work out with him (new guy), 1 guy helped me spot/hold the bench better (don't talk to him anymore even though I see him everyday lol), and one dude tried to introduce me to a new squat position where you hold the bar around your upper back instead of shoulder (felt ******* weird and almost injured myself when he insisted on me trying). Last dude was probably the friendliest though. Met him when I was rotating gyms during my different lift days but now with gas prices, it makes it harder to swallow even though I would like to change the scene up every now and then.

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking at starting stronglifts, can I skip the bullshit weeks where he wants you to start all the way from empty bar and just start with 135lbs on all lifts?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

Been looking at starting stronglifts, can I skip the bullshit weeks where he wants you to start all the way from empty bar and just start with 135lbs on all lifts?

Well, can you do 5x5 reps at 135 for all lifts? What do you think?

Things that are pissing you off random health and exercise thoughts addition: Did 5 x 10 bench yesterday with 135 lbs. Was actually sort of hard-- today I am actually sore from that. It's still a big step up from last week though, when I couldn't even unrack the bar without getting a lot of pain. Hopefully in another week I won't have to be terrified of injuring it again if I just keep ramping the weight back up slowly.

Last edited:

glundr

Reaction score
The thing a lot of people miss about SL and SS is the flexibility aspect of the squat. I think it would be beneficial to start with a fairly heavy weight and try to make progression in the depth of each rep, keeping your back nice and flat/tight. This isn't a problem when you have a trainer because you wouldn't get away with poor depth in the first place, but when you are training yourself it is easy to cheat a little and still add more weight next session. This adds up and eventually you have someone doing quarter squats every time because thats what the program tells them to do (add weight every day). Just a thought.

BobD

Reaction score
I use my waterrower at least three, usually more times a week, always in the morning about 6am before my wife and kid wake up.

Now I'm training for an indoor rowing event in December, and what happens, kid starts a new sleeping pattern that means she wakes up early, just at the time I would be starting my training. Gah!

I'll try tonight, but it just feels like I have forgotten to do something today, and I'm not sure how it will feel doing 10*1min pieces @ 85-95% Max HR this evening...

Last edited:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing a lot of people miss about SL and SS is the flexibility aspect of the squat. I think it would be beneficial to start with a fairly heavy weight and try to make progression in the depth of each rep, keeping your back nice and flat/tight. This isn't a problem when you have a trainer because you wouldn't get away with poor depth in the first place, but when you are training yourself it is easy to cheat a little and still add more weight next session. This adds up and eventually you have someone doing quarter squats every time because thats what the program tells them to do (add weight every day). Just a thought.
Biggest ******* LOL

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lift, eat, sleep, videogames, life is good.

Seriously it makes for such a good life. After I graduated I took like 4 months and just hungout with my two best friends that were hardcore lifters and nerds. Best times and I made the most gains during that period because all I did was lift, eat, and chill playing video games.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously it makes for such a good life. After I graduated I took like 4 months and just hungout with my two best friends that were hardcore lifters and nerds. Best times and I made the most gains during that period because all I did was lift, eat, and chill playing video games.

the digital media industry is great for lifting, with the work-life balance, job design, and perks. no stress, free food, massages and fitness subsidies? yes.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the digital media industry is great for lifting, with the work-life balance, job design, and perks. no stress, free food, massages and fitness subsidies? yes.

I agree. Although I will be out of the industry once this PR firm closes down (as a result of the owner/boss dropping dead, think I posted about it here?). Epic is right across the street, that would be nice. I have a meeting with a lawyer today, going to try and take over a video game company my boss and I launched. It's slated to be shut down soon but I might take it over.. that could happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics