• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Clark Desert Boot in Hairy Ginger Suede.
IMG_8714.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnniegold

Reaction score
It does appear that Astorflex has been producing models that have a narrower toe box than the wider silhouette of the Greenflex.

The Greenflex with the (as I referred to it) bulbous toe box.
View attachment 2130859
The Brownflex gives a slightly less rounded toe box. View attachment 2130861

Same with the Montflex.
View attachment 2130865

I might have to give one of them try too. 🤪😀
Yesterday, I ordered two pair of the Brownflex Chukka in Tobacco Suede by Astorflex. The tobacco suede model is currently on sale at Huckberry (with another 15% off on top of that) That additional kicker along with free shipping and free returns made it hard to resist. I purchased the Greenflex awhile back from Huckberry as well.

I ordered a Size 10 and a Size 11. I usually wear a 10.5E US in most shoes. Astorflex recommends sizing down so we shall see since that was not my experience with the Greenflex.

IMG_8702.jpeg

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em.

Fehr

Reaction score
Gold,

I‘ve tried the Brownflex Stone size 10 (43 EU) from Hucks too — but it’s too loosey goosey on me exactly like your experience with the Greenflex 44 — a 3/4 to almost an inch allowance in the front toe box. A lot of heel slippage even with the shoelaces tight which I think can be attributed to the Brownflex’s flat back heel form just like the Clark’s.

I still don’t know how you managed to make that Greenflex fit you. But whatever you did, good for you.

Will try to make this Brownflex work with a double layer Walmart insole on top of the Astorflex one. If I still can’t get it to work, I will have to return this today. Too bad they don’t carry the Greenflex anymore.

Fehr

Reaction score
By the way, I have already tried the Greenflex size 42. I’m a little bit disappointed ‘cause I was expecting it to be more roomier than the Dukeflex. It is but not much at all, I still find it uncomfortably snug all around with thick socks. At this point, my only consolation is that there’s no vamp tightness to worry about anymore. But I found a solution to the snugness. I took out the insole and it felt a lot better.

Now I have to contend with the possibility of wearing these without insoles for the life of it or just give it up. 🤕

Reaction score
Hey, I just picked up some sanders chukkas. I have a US 13 (usually wear 13's) and they are a little tight in the toe box. Anyone have any experience with this shoe? Will they give a little or is it a no go?
sanders-suede-chukkas-top-down-shape-pair-deux-575.jpg

Fehr

Reaction score
Hey, I just picked up some sanders chukkas. I have a US 13 (usually wear 13's) and they are a little tight in the toe box. Anyone have any experience with this shoe? Will they give a little or is it a no go?
sanders-suede-chukkas-top-down-shape-pair-deux-575.jpg
Go half a size up to 13.5. That is what the folks at Sanders & Sanders recommend for the Hi-Tops.

Reaction score
Go half a size up to 13.5. That is what the folks at Sanders & Sanders recommend for the Hi-Tops.
13 is the biggest size so I’m already at the limit.

I guess the snuff suede will give a little but nothing like half a size

Last edited:

Fehr

Reaction score

Well, you lucked out. If the insoles are removable, you can try wearing without them. See if it relieves pressure on your toes.

This is what I did with my Astorflex Greenflex. It was snug all around until I removed the insoles and wore thinner socks.

Johnniegold

Reaction score

If you don’t mind a slightly different style on the outsole, which is the oneI prefer with a more pronounced heel, try the Luther from Sanders as it has a rounder toe area as opposed to the more tapered area of the high top.

IMG_9179.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

Reaction score
If you don’t mind a slightly different style on the outsole, which is the oneI prefer with a more pronounced heel, try the Luther from Sanders as it has a rounder toe area as opposed to the more tapered area of the high top.

View attachment 2151229

View attachment 2151237
Interesting. I just took a look at their site and Sanders suggest going half a size down in the Luther. So TTS may be a good bet. Have you tried on the high top in the past? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Now trying to find stock in the US to give them a try...

edit** The hi tops also come in a 'Sam' model made with the same SNO round toe last as the Luther

Last edited:

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Interesting. I just took a look at their site and Sanders suggest going half a size down in the Luther. So TTS may be a good bet. Have you tried on the high top in the past? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Now trying to find stock in the US to give them a try...

edit** The hi tops also come in a 'Sam' model made with the same SNO round toe last as the Luther
I never tried the Hi-Top because I preferred the notched-heel of the Luther. I ended up with a 9.5 EU which is roomy in the toe. I may have been able to get away with a 9 but I’m fine with the 9.5

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered these from Sid Mashburn: https://shopmashburn.com/products/sid-mashburn-chukka-boot-snuff-suede-s53461

Made in Spain. $450. Wondering who might be making them.

They fit small, though. I ordered my normal size 11US, and on the box the manufacturer label lists 45 (most EU makers, I'm a 44). But they're snug and fit more like a 10.5. So I ordered another half size up to see how it goes. But they're a great boot, with a great shape and the price is good considering Carmina is now nearly $600.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads