• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

emptym

Reaction score
I did a dumb thing and got these faded orslow jeans hemmed, but didn’t consider now the hem looks weird without the fading and stuff. Anything I can do to fix them? Not that big of a deal?

View attachment 1883782
I'd ask the people who hemmed them if they still have the hem that they cut off. If so, it could be reattached like this:
IMG_3090.jpeg

This is the least noticeable of the "save the hem" options, and it allows you to cuff the jeans if you want too. I got the pair above on ebay and the seller didn't disclose that they were hemmed. I bet they didn't even notice.

But I'm curious about what Denim Therapy will do, particularly if they don't have the original hem.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know maybe I should try this with my pair of century denim and see how close they get. I totally took too much off a pair and I regretted it forever

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ask the people who hemmed them if they still have the hem that they cut off. If so, it could be reattached like this: View attachment 1884336
This is the least noticeable of the "save the hem" options , and it's barely noticeable and allows you to cuff the jeans if you want too. I got the pair above on ebay and the seller didn't disclose that they were hemmed. I bet they didn't even notice.

But I'm curious about what Denim Therapy will do, particularly if they don't have the original hem.

I would advise against this. It alwaus looks and feels janky. Just wear the jeans and wash them normally, and they will look more normal in no time flat.

emptym

Reaction score
I would advise against this. It alwaus looks and feels janky. Just wear the jeans and wash them normally, and they will look more normal in no time flat.
I think his pair is too faded for that. My wife had a faded pair of jeans hemmed, and years later, they still look like the day they were altered.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cursed hem, better to just give in and go raw hem

this disco has got me thinking about jean hems ... i remember roy slaper using a fancy overlock machine to bind allowances . an interesting idea , lots of oppo for hand finishing and with one ply of denim very doable .

Screenshot 2023-01-29 1.06.33 PM.png

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this disco has got me thinking about jean hems ... i remember roy slaper using a fancy overlock machine to bind allowances . an interesting idea , lots of oppo for hand finishing and with one ply of denim very doable .

View attachment 1884674

I’ve got a lot of denim and my Roys are probably the nicest put together pair in my closet. The attention to detail is apparent.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not getting a pair of Roys when I could have is one of my only denim regrets haha. Made up for it by getting a pair of Connors which are now way too much effort to get.

Compared to how long it took to get my jeans from WH Ranch Dungarees, getting my Roys was like walking into Target and buying something from the dollar section by the door.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I've seen it mentioned here on StyleForum but the most recent season of the Articles of Interest podcast was all about "American Ivy" style and was a pretty good listen. It even has an appearance or two by our own dieworkwear... who's sort of having a moment I gather?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads