• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendations for a super strong hold, no shine hair product? Now that my hairs getting longer the stuff I used to use isn’t really cutting it.
elmers and hairspair?

I like Kevin Murphy stuff a lot. I use free hold on my long-ish hair. If you want something more substantial, rough rider or night rider.

I also use and like Kevin Murphy's products. Most of his products are pastes and clays, however, which will really weigh your hair down if you use a lot of it. It's not really designed for super long hair, depending on your length. I would say, after about 4 inches, you might want to consider something else.

FWIW, I like:

Night Rider: The firmest hold that I've used. Stuff is very thick and can be hard to work with. I find it helps to add some water to your hands when mixing it up. I'm Asian and use Night Rider sometimes to hold down the sides of my hair, which can stick out.

Gritty Business: I think this may have been discontinued. It's a medium hold that adds texture.

Free Hold: Medium hold that's much easier to work with.

If you have longer hair, you can try Kevin Murphy's anti-gravity. It's a volumizer that will help keep your hair up. Good for messy quiffs and the like.

I asked Sythn once what hair products he uses, as I like his hairstyle. He said Fatboy. I picked up a small jar of it after he recommended it and I like it.

I also like Shear Revival's Northern Lights, which is a matte paste. Somewhat similar to Free Hold -- medium hold, easy to work with, good for hair lengths that are about 3 to 4 inches.

Rookoobay

Reaction score
I have straight, nearly shoulder length hair and have been very happy with Fatboy. I don't use a lot and only need to shampoo 2x/week (Aesop nurturing). I used to use Shear Revival's Crystal Lake but they changed the formula and I hated the new version.

Budd

Reaction score
I have straight, nearly shoulder length hair and have been very happy with Fatboy. I don't use a lot and only need to shampoo 2x/week (Aesop nurturing). I used to use Shear Revival's Crystal Lake but they changed the formula and I hated the new version.

cool thanks for the tip. Any Fatboy product(s) in particular that you would recommend?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny cause fatboy is what I use now and I’m finding it’s no longer doing the trick… I’d say my hair is about 6 inches long now, and I do a messy slickback…

Gonna try out some of this Murphy and Hanz de fuko stuff

xeoniq

Reaction score
Veilance feels like it lost it's niche, abandoning the middle class professional market that loved Arc'teryx and who wanted office wear to complement their wardrobe. Putting taped seams on nylon pants for its own sake doesn't make something technical or modern. Teatora is doing much, much more interesting things for urban techwear IMO, focusing their product development on comfort and practical utility for people who work largely sedentary jobs in the city. No one in the Western community much talks about the brand, maybe because its Japanese and doesn't pander to the hypebeast market. Hopefully it doesn't end up the same as Alk Phenix (same director as Teatora).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Watching a 1968 student debate on the Vietnam War and was impressed by the fashion.

Some professors present for the debate:

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.31.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.30.38 AM.png

Some of the students wore suits and what looks to be a dashiki?

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.29.06 AM.png

One guy on the right in a double-breasted blazer -- blazer! with brass buttons! -- and a button-down shirt.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.30.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.28.38 AM.png

One of the more vocal students wore a yellow neckerchief with a grey flannel suit. Neckerchief looks very jaunty.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.29.56 AM.png

The student in the bottom left corner of this photo wore a corduroy suit.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.27.02 AM.png

Another vocal student. This one is in a chambray work shirt.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 9.27.12 AM.png

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watching a 1968 student debate on the Vietnam War and was impressed by the fashion.

Some professors present for the debate:

View attachment 1669894 View attachment 1669895

Some of the students wore suits and what looks to be a dashiki?

View attachment 1669898

One guy on the right in a double-breasted blazer -- blazer! with brass buttons! -- and a button-down shirt.

View attachment 1669896 View attachment 1669899

One of the more vocal students wore a yellow neckerchief with a grey flannel suit. Neckerchief looks very jaunty.

View attachment 1669897

The student in the bottom left corner of this photo wore a corduroy suit.

View attachment 1669900

Another vocal student. This one is in a chambray work shirt.

View attachment 1669901

That‘s interesting that you were watching this because I’ve been watching episodes of Firing Line from that era (check out the one where Buckley gets schooled by Noam Chomsky).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads