• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Joytropics

Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations! The Drakes looks like it could work well. I want to avoid a true raw, as I don't want to hassle with dye stains and shrinkage calculations. I guess I do have big thighs by fashion standards.. but also fairly big calves for my frame.

Joytropics

Reaction score
I’m a broken record with my recommendation, but I’m 100% sold on getting denim from Todd Shelton. I get my custom fits, can play with the rise and taper and such. They’re made on demand, so I never have to worry about whether I can find what I want in stock.

Friday I was in the Pro Original Darks which I wear with a higher rise and a cleaner leg. Today I’m in Pro Original Raws, which I wear with a lower rise and a less “refined” fit

Hey, thanks for the input, this looks like it will work well. Any sizing advice? I'm typically a 32 in vanity sized US brands but probably closer to a true 33 or 34. (I'm about 170lbs 5'11'')

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the input, this looks like it will work well. Any sizing advice? I'm typically a 32 in vanity sized US brands but probably closer to a true 32 or 34. (I'm about 170lbs 5'11'')

There is no substitute for going through the fit process with Todd and his team. Initially, he sent me out a few pair of try-on jeans, I found what worked for me, and we tweaked from there. Super easy, and it really paid off for me. I ordered my first pair about a year ago and now have a whole stack of various fabrics and fits. Start here: https://toddshelton.com/fit-recommendation

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the bondi 6 model is good; for me, the all black ones are too "i bought these bc i have to wear black shoes at work" though. i still want the taupe hoka low top hikers but they sold out everywhere in my size
Have you checked Opening Ceremony NYC?

happyriverz

Reaction score
anyone has good recommendations for running shoes suitable for running on somewhat slick/icy city streets (not trail running)? My normal shoes are not cutting it once the melted snow becomes frozen overnight.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@happyriverz i looked for something similar for a few months and ended up just using Salomon XT-6. Not as cushy as I like but the ones that are all out Ice runners are way too stiff. If it gets real bad there’s attachments that are basically chains for your shoes.
Hoka do have runners with more aggressive treads, so do Salomon, but like I said I found them too stiff.XT-6 are a good balance

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone has good recommendations for running shoes suitable for running on somewhat slick/icy city streets (not trail running)? My normal shoes are not cutting it once the melted snow becomes frozen overnight.

For ice, the only realy solution is light traction cleats / spikes - easy to get a the kind you just fit over your normal shoes - although because I'd recommend using a heavy duty trail shoe to begin with because of the way they fit. I run in these a lot of the time in winter in Ontario.

Phrost

Reaction score
There is no substitute for going through the fit process with Todd and his team. Initially, he sent me out a few pair of try-on jeans, I found what worked for me, and we tweaked from there. Super easy, and it really paid off for me. I ordered my first pair about a year ago and now have a whole stack of various fabrics and fits. Start here: https://toddshelton.com/fit-recommendation
Hmm I personally think custom fit jeans are overkill unless you have odd proportions or really have trouble finding something that fits you well off the shelf. But the ones you posted do look good on you.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@happyriverz i looked for something similar for a few months and ended up just using Salomon XT-6. Not as cushy as I like but the ones that are all out Ice runners are way too stiff. If it gets real bad there’s attachments that are basically chains for your shoes.
Hoka do have runners with more aggressive treads, so do Salomon, but like I said I found them too stiff.XT-6 are a good balance
Groan. Put on shoe. Run race. Learn lessons.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm I personally think custom fit jeans are overkill unless you have odd proportions or really have trouble finding something that fits you well off the shelf. But the ones you posted do look good on you.

Overkill? Sure. I have other jeans that “fit” just fine. These jeans fit more to my liking. Better yet, now I can literally just say “make me another” and (in my experience) I get a new pair with the exact same fit, with even more consistency than any RTW maker I know.

I’m also a small business owner that works with small businesses, so I’m an unashamedly a supporter of other small businesses that value me as a customer as much as TS does.

So yes, overkill, but I’m a huge fan.

motosacto

Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to just do our running on an indoor track. Easier on everything.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I have that same pair of Hoka. Can’t really say they look great butI run well in them. My knees thank me every time.

If you learned how to run properly you wouldn't have knee issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads