• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last words on the subject. Folks, please do research on saturated fats and don't listen to Hendrix(But Jimi yes!). Or me for that matter. Polyunsturated fats(which are prone to oxidation-think "rancid") like Canola, veg oil, seed oils etc.cause heart disease(among other lifestyle factors).

Canola Oil-Eat it at your own peril:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola/

Your sources so far include an Acupuncturist and the Weston A Price foundation, an organization of quacks that has been routinely criticised by actual scientists and dietitians.

Will you link to the flat Earth society next?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoodies under bomber jackets, DRs, and topcoats was kind of a douchey look until Kanye did it. Now you see it everywhere. Not to say he invented the look, but he brought it into cultural relevance. And he has that cultural capital because of his music.

Similarly, Mad Men played a huge influence on fashion trends. Tons of guys favoring that slimmed down 60s thin lapel look with a clean white pocket square because of that show.

I think there's still a huge connection between culture and fashion. It's just that cultural influences are harder to contain.

When you see purely fashion-driven trends -- like, say, the purposefully ugly fits right now or dad clothes -- that stays pretty well contained within the community. But bigger shifts are often about what's happening in culture outside of fashion. What's Kanye wearing, the Kardashians, Rihanna, etc. Even the chunky sneaker stuff right now sorta spread through music (Travis Scott in Ozweegos, etc).
I agree that musicians continue to influence fashion trends, but it’s much less compartmentalized than before. Wearing X used to mean X, but people now appropriate looks across the spectrum, and flannels with Birks no longer means you like the Dave Matthews Band.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that musicians continue to influence fashion trends, but it’s much less compartmentalized than before. Wearing X used to mean X, but people now appropriate looks across the spectrum, and flannels with Birks no longer means you like the Dave Matthews Band.

I feel like that’s more due to a change in the music industry. Flannels and Birks in the late 90s might have meant you were into DMB and/or Phish simply because that was the outer limits of accessible music within a genre (clearly overstating for purposes of clarity/simplicity). I think it is still pretty easy to tell whether someone is influenced by country, hip hop, boy bands, Latin music, underground punk, etc. based on what they wear.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
So there's a place in DC that serves a breakfast sandwich that's a piece of fried chicken on a savory donut with honey butter, hot sauce, and a fried egg. I could only eat about a third of it and it probably took three weeks off of my life, but I'm pretty those weeks would've sucked anyway, and the sandwich was goddamn delicious.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would eat that.

And I do think that if you were to go see Katy Perry or Kanye or ZZ Top it would be pretty easy to differentiate the crowds based on how they dress.

And I’m sure even with acts more closely related in genre there are more or less obvious differences. Probably more obvious to the trained observers in those audiences.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So there's a place in DC that serves a breakfast sandwich that's a piece of fried chicken on a savory donut with honey butter, hot sauce, and a fried egg. I could only eat about a third of it and it probably took three weeks off of my life, but I'm pretty those weeks would've sucked anyway, and the sandwich was goddamn delicious.

I don’t know, as I got older the less I appreciate on creamier/heavier stuff. I don’t worry about weight blah blah but it just feels overly greasy afterwards

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At concerts, sure, people usually dress a certain way, but I’m sure they have other styles in their closet. My point is not that people from a certain subculture don’t dress a certain way, the point is that individual pieces from subcultures are being incorporated into everyday dress of the masses, thus diluting its attachment and meaning, e.g. hoodies, skate shoes, Timbs, workwear, double riders, and so on.

santaclara

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 6.29.19 PM.png

Doesn't get old though

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, as I got older the less I appreciate on creamier/heavier stuff. I don’t worry about weight blah blah but it just feels overly greasy afterwards
I don't know how old you are, but man, that has not happened to me. I'm actually craving Lobster Thermidor right now, and wishing that I could teleport the Tadich Grill into Moscow Idaho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads