1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

We got a personal recommendation and essentially picked up an old R2 unit for cheap and souped it up.

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

робот, ако ви треба помош за да се дојде дома, палецот овој пост.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Regarding point one, I think that's true. But there's also an incredible amount of cultural influence still on fashion trends. Sometimes I find Kanye cos play annoying, but it's also nice to see clothes still linked to cultural heroes and a music scene.

4. Maxwellll

Maxwellll Senior Member

GQ doing 90s west coast hip hop mixtape covers now

[​IMG]

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well, it's GQ Style, not GQ. Very different, much better content and a much better sense of humor

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

I think nerds like us get the connection, but most don't. I sincerely doubt all the Marina girls wearing moto DRs have any idea who Johnny Rotten is. Maybe that's prejudiced, but I'm pretty sure they're not influenced by late 70's punk.

7. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Late 70s punk is no longer a relevant cultural refererence point. We’re a full generation past that.

8. UrbanComposition

I guess I'm old.:(

9. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Yes, we are.

10. dieworkwear

+1

People aren't wearing DRs right now because of punk. They're wearing it because of Hedi Slimane and Kanye. And, I suppose, the Kardashians.

Women on the Marina probably aren't wearing in that Hedi/ Kanye way -- and they're like a tier or two removed from that specific culture -- but there are lots of guys who take influence directly from Kanye and other hip hop stars. I think that's where cultural relevance is right now between music and fashion. People say that connection has been lost, but ... it's still pretty damn big. It's true you can no longer tell someone's music interest from their clothes, but there are some guys where you can *definitely* tell they listen to Kanye/ Rocky, etc.

11. UrbanComposition

^ I haven't listened to Kanye since Paranoid.

Just to clarify, I think it's good that clothes mean less, and that more focus is on how does this look. Which also bleeds into point 2, because someone into fashion (like us nerds) can like multiple styles and appreciate looks drawn from different cultures/time periods, as long as it looks good (well-proportioned, good use of colors, etc).

12. dieworkwear

Hoodies under bomber jackets, DRs, and topcoats was kind of a douchey look until Kanye did it. Now you see it everywhere. Not to say he invented the look, but he brought it into cultural relevance. And he has that cultural capital because of his music.

Similarly, Mad Men played a huge influence on fashion trends. Tons of guys favoring that slimmed down 60s thin lapel look with a clean white pocket square because of that show.

I think there's still a huge connection between culture and fashion. It's just that cultural influences are harder to contain.

When you see purely fashion-driven trends -- like, say, the purposefully ugly fits right now or dad clothes -- that stays pretty well contained within the community. But bigger shifts are often about what's happening in culture outside of fashion. What's Kanye wearing, the Kardashians, Rihanna, etc. Even the chunky sneaker stuff right now sorta spread through music (Travis Scott in Ozweegos, etc).

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Re point 2:
    This is true, but i find it difficult to wear slim jeans the day after wearing baggy/loose clothes. It almost seems a little fake to me.

Similarly it's hard to imagine guys doing the dior look following it up with something loose.

I know girls do this all the time but I tend to fixate on certain volumes if that's the right word.

14. canstyleace

canstyleace Distinguished Member

Catching up folks, bear with me...

- Least SF things in my closet:
    Canada goose puffer and couple dsquared tshirts

- RHET:
    What do metranger and hendrix think about dairy?

- Get off my lawn:
    If it weren't for Brooke Shields and Sergio Valente jeans, I'd probably still be wearing Op and Vans everyday

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Had to google both Travis Scott and Ozweegos. I’d figured Ozweegos was a band name.

I come here to learn, and you deliver the goods.