• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotify works better for me at home, work, or when traveling. Catalog seems to be very deep.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for Pandora :\

I liked Pandora for years, but finally stopped my subscription a couple years back because their catalogue just wasn't deep enough and I got sick of hearing the same songs over and over. Love Pandora in theory, have never liked it quite as much in practice. Which is too bad, because I find Spotify's recommendation algorithms wanting in general.

I keep Spotify for actual music listening and occasional working music, then have a lifetime subscription to Focus@Will for real work. Hugely beneficial, I'm way more productive with F@W on plus noise-cancelling headphones.

@shopcanoeclub That's exactly why I love last.fm so much. I had an old account that I kept through middle school into college with 50,000+ scrobbles on it, but (1) I'm happy to bury that username forever and (2) I've lost access to both the account credentials and the recovery email. But it was great when I wanted to find that "one band I liked in October last year" or whatever. It's also great for finding new artists similar to those you already like...it's got a deeper database than any listening service. I'm rapidly catching up with that old one.

While I'm on the topic, I use Pinboard to do the same thing with stuff I read. Store stuff in Pocket, read it, IFTTT to store anything I "favorite" into a Pinboard, where it becomes full-text-searchable. So if, say, I want to recall some article I read about asbestos in 2013, I can go into my Pinboard, search "Asbestos" and it'll come up. It's ******* great.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only song I listen to is the sound of a UPS truck pulling up on a continuous loop.
I have Neko Case on endless loop and just grab the endless jawnz while wearing headphones.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Team Apple Music here. I did a trial on both before choosing.

For better or for worse, for me Apple Music's integration into iDevices is invaluable. I also like that their playlists are shorter and more digestible.

Apple music uses it's integration to make up for a **** user music platform. The spotify interface for browsing is better access meant of the curated playlists are great!

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a spot in NYC where I can get a rather large leather duffle bag dyed from brown to black? Or perhaps a service where I can mail the bag to?

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put a record, cd or cassette in the system and listen, if I I'm drunk etc... and can't be arsed I just listen to what I have on iTunes.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a dork who still cares about my iTunes library so Apple Music kinda freaked me out, since everything is mixed in (ie can't tell the difference between your own files and what you added through AM).
Spotify has the best recs, the Monday playlist is kind of amazing and I discovered tons of stuff that way, though I've since switched to Google Play since a buddy shares it for free with me (in return he uses my TV login) and free is always the best

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Spotify only allows one stream at a time. My wife and I are always cutting the other out during the work week from our respective offices.

Spotify has a great download feature. Currently on a trip and downloaded music to play on the flight and in the rental car. No cellular connection required.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads