• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want a millitary liner for this winter.. What fashion brands make some? I know there's Uniqlo. I heard just going mill surp, that they fit a bit too weird to be worn by themselves.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a millitary liner for this winter.. What fashion brands make some? I know there's Uniqlo. I heard just going mill surp, that they fit a bit too weird to be worn by themselves.
Uniqlo military liners? Where did you see these? Or do you mean their down liners?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the UU down jackets have been modeled after liners, somewhat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the wonky fit is part of the charm.

Years ago, I almost bought this. Looking back, I wish I picked it up. It's a Czech military liner. Unlike most military liners, this one has a ribbed cuff and matte fabric. Most liners are made from a shinier nylon

unnamed.jpg

Here's a window display of a vintage shop, I believe in Portland, called Velour. They sell one with a slightly different collar shape and without a taped edge. But you can see how it's styled here. This is also a Czech liner.

82164640_162631148480137_2806061649394669090_n.jpg

Here's a vintage US Air Force CWU-9/P Liner. The shape on this one is a little more "standard," but it still has something, like the dropped shoulder seam and slightly boxy fit.

53186649_2203424499696342_5400141654902925955_n.jpg

Here's your standard M-65 liner. Notice the shinier fabric, short sleeves, and short body. You usually want to size up on this one.

92033110_2833246273423418_4096277944854274089_n.jpg

Here's a fashion version. You can see how the fit has been "normalized."I think it's OK, but misses something from the vintage originals. The name of this brand escapes me at the moment, but they sell for reasonably cheap on eBay. [Edit, just remembered. It's Bronson. Only fifty bucks!)

$_57.jpeg

The problem with vintage milsurp liners is that the fit isn't consistent. They also often fit shorter in the arms and body. The fit is often boxy. It's designed to go into another jacket. So it's often easier to shop for these in person if you can.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wore my 5-zip for 20 mins today to pick up lunch. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the wonky fit is part of the charm.

Years ago, I almost bought this. Looking back, I wish I picked it up. It's a Czech military liner. Unlike most military liners, this one has a ribbed cuff and matte fabric. Most liners are made from a shinier nylon

View attachment 1370971

Here's a window display of a vintage shop, I believe in Portland, called Velour. They sell one with a slightly different collar shape and without a taped edge. But you can see how it's styled here. This is also a Czech liner.

View attachment 1370974

Here's a vintage US Air Force CWU-9/P Liner. The shape on this one is a little more "standard," but it still has something, like the dropped shoulder seam and slightly boxy fit.

View attachment 1370975

Here's your standard M-65 liner. Notice the shinier fabric, short sleeves, and short body. You usually want to size up on this one.

View attachment 1370977

Here's a fashion version. You can see how the fit has been "normalized."I think it's OK, but misses something from the vintage originals. The name of this brand escapes me at the moment, but they sell for reasonably cheap on eBay. [Edit, just remembered. It's Bronson. Only fifty bucks!)

View attachment 1370976

The problem with vintage milsurp liners is that the fit isn't consistent. They also often fit shorter in the arms and body. The fit is often boxy. It's designed to go into another jacket. So it's often easier to shop for these in person if you can.

Awesome, thanks for that, really enjoyed reading through it. Thanks for recommending the US Air Force CWU-9/P Liner., that looks spot on. Maybe I can source a Buzz Rickson one.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maharishi did some upcycled Kimono styled liners. Haven's inhouse brand has a nice one with added pockets.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
What is the secret to things like JJJJound or Cactus Plant Flea Market who seemingly do almost nothing but create hype with all the coool kids ?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the secret to things like JJJJound or Cactus Plant Flea Market who seemingly do almost nothing but create hype with all the coool kids ?

Be at the front of the line when Mens fashion and visual blogging are both ascendent.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone say liner? Best working from home attire around
IMG_8673.jpg

bonus dog content
IMG_7760.jpg

fwiw I wear the cwu-9 the most. I have the Czech one too but the (cotton?) fabric takes something away from what I like about liners

Jvog

Reaction score
Are those bottles of Radikon? If so send some my way because the shops here are sold out :(

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mmmargeologist For super cheapo suit supply did some stuff with super wide lapels. I get the impression for they bought a tom ford suit and copied all the measurements/details.

Edit: I think the San Diego cut was a wide lapel. Other tip, people have them listed as both "Suitsupply" and "Suit Supply" on ebay.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahaha, that liner fit is dope. I think I will get the cwu-9 then, got my eye on a buzz repro..

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mmmargeologist For super cheapo suit supply did some stuff with super wide lapels. I get the impression for they bought a tom ford suit and copied all the measurements/details.

Edit: I think the San Diego cut was a wide lapel. Other tip, people have them listed as both "Suitsupply" and "Suit Supply" on ebay.
Thanks man! The San Diego looks great!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vague fashion advice request: I would like to add some shirts to my wardrobe that are outside the vary narrow realm of white and blue cotton Ts and collared button downs that I continually default to. I am also looking for options for warmer weather. I was therefore thinking silk, viscose or similar. I was also hoping for some options of the short-sleeve variety. My mind goes to silk polos. In line with that, I am thinking on the dressier side of things, and away from street/workwear. In terms of color/patterns, I lean toward more conservative but am open to suggestions as long as they're not flames emblazoned on a bowling shirt.

Basically, I just need to a list of brands to look at, as I haven't a clue where to start.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads