• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about "luxury" shirting

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would upset their loyal base of custom shirtmakers. Most shirt makers charge $300 + for a shirt made usung alumo fabrics. Proper cloth will then sell a medicore construted shirt for less then $200. Alumo is then no longer a luxury brand. I don't follow the product line of proper cloth. I doubt Loro Piana will sell propercloth. The industry felt the same way when Albini sold Thomas Mason fabric to J. CREW. The constructions were not the same as what they usually sold. Shirts were made in Mauritious where for some reason shirts could be sent to the USA using higher count fabrics with no additional duty charges. The J Crew customer thought they were getting a fancy shirt. It lowered the value of the Thomas Mason brand
Beyond the industry issues that them offering Alumo would pose, getting one from PC also wouldn’t make a lot of sense to me at a consumer level. With their basic Thomas Mason Hampton running almost $300 their value proposition that seems to appeal to their buyers frankly disappears. You’re pushing into actual bespoke pricing but with the same entry level craftsmanship along with a hope and prayer for fit.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other than you

other than you recommend shirt makers you respect re value/quality
There are plenty of excellent shirtmakers out there. Unfortunately, most shirts are made in factories that maximize efficiency over quality. There are some very expensive brands selling garments of mediocre construction.

I would have to see a shirt in person to give opinions.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beyond the industry issues that them offering Alumo would pose, getting one from PC also wouldn’t make a lot of sense to me at a consumer level. With their basic Thomas Mason Hampton running almost $300 their value proposition that seems to appeal to their buyers frankly disappears. You’re pushing into actual bespoke pricing but with the same entry level craftsmanship along with a hope and prayer for fit.
I was not aware that propercloth was selling a shirt from TM Hampton for $300. That is no bargain .. if it was in the low 200 it would be a bargain. At $295. They have a very good margin.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not aware that propercloth was selling a shirt from TM Hampton for $300. That is no bargain .. if it was in the low 200 it would be a bargain. At $295. They have a very good margin.
They don’t disclose the fabric number or bunch on their site but Thomas Mason 140/2 twill is $275 before you add MOP buttons instead of plastic for $10. Their DJA 120/2 is $350. For someone who wants a no name broadcloth and has $100 to spend sure, whatever. But if you are starting to get into those prices and fabrics they don’t even deserve to be a part of the conversation IMO.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of luxury shirting. A fresh delivery from Fiorenzo in DJA 200/2 Popeline. My shirt taste is very much soporific but I decided to branch out with some bolder stripes (at least compared to my usual orders).
IMG_8577.jpeg
IMG_8575.jpeg
IMG_8576.jpeg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn’t Anto the shop that makes for a lot of movies?

Also, I’m considering taking the plunge on RLPL MTM for dress shirts. Nice fabric selection.
RLPL mtm probably costs more than bespoke.

Okay, so maybe this is unpopular, but I don’t see the point in 400€+ for a shirt. 100 hands, I’m sure is nice, but the fabric won’t last long enough for the workmanship of that level to matter.

I like my stuff to be functional. It reminds me of an old quote from Antonio Panico: “a ferrari is arm candy. A Porsche is a woman to love.”

A quote I like so much, I’m putting it in my signature haha

Last edited:

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
The problem I encounter is on the one hand one’s reluctance to spend crazy sums on white/blue solid staples hence the search for different interesting striking colors. In my case I love orange. But to spend 100 Hands prices for an orange stripe feels excessive too. Oh well. Might as well enjoy one’s bourgeois tastes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads