• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chris-Wearings

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll wait for them to restock :)

How is the ocbd cloth compared to the American Pima cotton, is it worth it to pay the difference?

i’ve read that the standard ocbd cloth is a bit hard and very prone to wrinkles. I don’t mind this if it softens up a bit after several wears.

Thanks in advance,

Nacho
I haven’t tried Pima cotton. Although description says heavy oxford this doesn’t feel too heavy. Expect meaningful wrinkles, but this level of wrinkle pairs well with the casual nature of the cloth.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
oooooooo ominous
Decided to give customer service a chance before going on a rant.

Short version: bought something and placed it “on hold.” Went to request it and it’s now labeled as sold out so I can’t request.

Longer version: it was a black friday deal. I placed on hold because at the time there was a lot of travel/life going on. Figured the "on hold" thing about reserving a length of cloth actually reserved it. Decided I'd request it when I placed an order for other things. That order didn't happen until recently. I never got any sort of notification about "hey, request or we'll sell out" or anything of the sort. At this juncture the only thing they offered was a refund, which I'll be honest- feels like **** customer service.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Bonkers request, IMO.

How would they "reserve cloth" without knowing what you were going to make with it? And doing it on a sale priced item and waiting months to have them finally make a shirt?

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
F
Bonkers request, IMO.

How would they "reserve cloth" without knowing what you were going to make with it? And doing it on a sale priced item and waiting months to have them finally make a shirt?
Disagree. First, they absolutely knew what I was going to make with it. You literally have an option when finalizing your order to put it “on hold.” You’ve already finalized all of your stylistic choices though. So you think it’s reasonable that they could sell it until they’re “out of stock” (as I understand it they save a certain allotment for potential remakes) and then later release the extra saved allotments (this is why you see a number of fabrics go in and out of stock until completely gone) without saying anything to someone who already purchased and handed over money?

Blastwice

Reaction score
Honestly, it's never occurred to me to put a shirt on layaway, so I was not aware of that option.

I've missed out on fabrics I wanted because I was like, "I'll sleep on this" and woke up in the morning, welp, sold out.

There was a similar situation in another thread, another vendor, a guy paid for cloth on a deep sale and waited something like 16 months to request delivery of pants, and by then they had had a price increase and could no longer honor the original sale price and he was very angry, how could they, why didn't they contact me to say so during the 16 months, rah rah rah.

Why not just pay for the thing when you want to order it? Or wait until the cloth comes around again if it might possibly sell out?

Black Friday was a long time ago, I guess, is what I'm ultimately trying to say.

And you got a refund. That sounds pretty no harm, no foul to me.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Honestly, it's never occurred to me to put a shirt on layaway, so I was not aware of that option.

I've missed out on fabrics I wanted because I was like, "I'll sleep on this" and woke up in the morning, welp, sold out.

There was a similar situation in another thread, another vendor, a guy paid for cloth on a deep sale and waited something like 16 months to request delivery of pants, and by then they had had a price increase and could no longer honor the original sale price and he was very angry, how could they, why didn't they contact me to say so during the 16 months, rah rah rah.

Why not just pay for the thing when you want to order it? Or wait until the cloth comes around again if it might possibly sell out?

Black Friday was a long time ago, I guess, is what I'm ultimately trying to say.

And you got a refund. That sounds pretty no harm, no foul to me.
To be clear, it’s not layaway. You pay for it up front. It’s something you do when you want to reserve a fabric while still working out fitting and sizing details with customer service. They recommend it to you in certain contexts. And they put an expiration date on the hold, so there is already a time period in which you are required to complete the order.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Bonkers request, IMO.

I wouldn't ever do this.

Any retailer that offers this option should only do so if they can make it work though. Otherwise, better to not get the hopes up of people who may not fully grasp the absurdity of the request.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that it's a bonkers request, though can't fault anybody for doing it if there's an option to do so.

I would do away with the option entirely if I was PC. Seems like a logistical nightmare.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Decided to give customer service a chance before going on a rant.

Short version: bought something and placed it “on hold.” Went to request it and it’s now labeled as sold out so I can’t request.

Longer version: it was a black friday deal. I placed on hold because at the time there was a lot of travel/life going on. Figured the "on hold" thing about reserving a length of cloth actually reserved it. Decided I'd request it when I placed an order for other things. That order didn't happen until recently. I never got any sort of notification about "hey, request or we'll sell out" or anything of the sort. At this juncture the only thing they offered was a refund, which I'll be honest- feels like **** customer service.
Curious what you believe CS could offer besides a refund. They can't make you a shirt out of fabric they don't have anymore.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Had a pleasant conversation with a higher-up in customer service today. Apparently they've run into this a few times and it's on their radar. Won't discuss details but it was a satisfactory outcome and a positive experience.

Hₑighthere

Reaction score
It can happen with regular orders as well; I got an apologetic e-mail and $20 store credit with the refund, so I ended up only mildly disappointed. (I agree that 'hold' implies a stronger guarantee, though.)

tilesomoole

Reaction score
had no idea that existed, interesting! Very interested to hear your results with that.

There are numerous video reviews. Its literally a plastic stick sewn between the placket layers. They look ridiculous, and I can't imagine they do anything good for your garment's longevity.

I have the PC 'stand up placket' on a linen shirt. It works fairly well. The downside is that it's just a fused placket with medium interlining, so the placket is always completely flat and smooth while the rest of the shirt is rumply as linen usually is. Overall, it's better than not having it

The best solution th this problem? For dress shirts or thinner fabrics in general, I find that a bit good old fashioned spray starch works wonders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads