• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some saphir cognac. Seems a easonable match but you can never tell until it's applied. I'll try both and see.

cazone

Reaction score
Saphir Light brown for the moment.

Diego65

Reaction score
Hi!!!
I'm going to try to make a review of my new acquisition, my first pair of AS

Lately I was looking with great attention the AS Moore in burgundy last 724. Offered by AFPOS. Seeing the discounts of BF, I decided take my chances and buy them.

First Impressions:
For AFPOS really pleased with your service. The packaging contained the shoes, shoe bags, shoe trees for free, and a gift of a tin of Saphir High gloss of 50 ml.

About the shoes: Before to decide buy this shoes I take my time and I make a research over internet; there is not much information about this shoes, if we compare with others brands.

My primary concern was the fit, because all shoes what I possess where purchased in the físical stores.

In all post and reviews everybody compare last 724 of AS with last 348 of CJ, then I choose 10,5 UK F.

Impressions: Despite I not being an expert on leathers, the quality looks great, the texture is not like the E.G. Shoes but seems at level of CJ or a little bit superior (I have several pairs of CJ).
The feeling when you put it the first time it feels stiff, but is part of the break in process.
Details: I'm a passionate of shoes, and I like to look at every detail, and I can humble said there are few flaws but really not affects the final results. The shape: really reminds me GG shoes, but I think is not compare in shape with E.G., CHURCH, C&J is not better is different, but elegant. The people like me, who looks with magnifying glass every detail need not to be worried.
Fit: I usually wear last 348 of C&J is perfect for my feets, always 10.5 UK,
others brands and last.
Church last 173, 10,5 UK
Cheaney last 125, 10.5 U.K.; last 225, 10.5 UK
E.G. last 82, 11 UK;
Carmina last Forest 10,5 UK,
C&J last 341, 11 UK; last 325, 11 UK.
AS MOORE: To me is a little roomy because my instep is low but the wide part of the foot fit perfect, on my toes es perfect also. There is some slippage on my right heel but in the left none,
Compare with my usual last 348 of C&J the fit is comfortable. Not complains at all.
Overall: I'm pleased with this shoes, I think is right to compare with C&J Handgrade, and is above of Cheaney, Church and Carmina, worth the money.
Now some pics of the shoes and side by side with others.
Cheers

Between different lasts. Cheaney, E.G., Carmina, AS, C&J, C&J

Side by side with C&J 348

Side by side with C&J 341

Side by side with Cheaney 125

Side by side with E.G. 82

Side by side with Carmina Forest

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Sorry to add to the sizing questions, but you all seem very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am looking at buying a pair of Hannover boots. I initially wanted a pair of C&J Islays, but I prefer the sole and the overall shape of the AS Hannover.

Sizing wise, I own a few pairs of shoes/boots by C&J on the 325 last in size 7.5E UK. In a perfect world, just a tad shorter and a tad wider would be perfect for me, but this size otherwise does well.

In US, I measure roughly 8.5E US on the Brannock.

Any recommendations on sizing with the 87F last? I'm tempted to go 7F, thinking this would be shorter/wider than my C&J 7.5E. But I also worry they may simply feel shorter but otherwise too low volume.

Any help is appreciated!

Carl1955

Reaction score

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring seems to have discontinued the Moriarty boot, but I was wondering if anyone in this thread might have an idea of where I could pick up a pair still, or if Alfred Sargent has created any other boots with a similar look.

Hi grichl

Herring have the Moriarty by Alfred Sargent in thier new current sale in Black or Milkshake

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?shoeid=12480&brandid=6

Carl.

Thank you for posting this. How do you size for them same size as EG & gg or go half size smaller?

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone,
Sorry to add to the sizing questions, but you all seem very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am looking at buying a pair of Hannover boots.  I initially wanted a pair of C&J Islays, but I prefer the sole and the overall shape of the AS Hannover.

Sizing wise, I own a few pairs of shoes/boots by C&J on the 325 last in size 7.5E UK.  In a perfect world, just a tad shorter and a tad wider would be perfect for me, but this size otherwise does well.

In US, I measure roughly 8.5E US on the Brannock.  

Any recommendations on sizing with the 87F last?  I'm tempted to go 7F, thinking this would be shorter/wider than my C&J 7.5E.  But I also worry they may simply feel shorter but otherwise too low volume.

Any help is appreciated!  

No experience with C&J, but lots of experience with AE ( I know you have AEs :) )

I am US 8.5C with low volume, low arch, low instep feet.
I wear 8D in 65 last. Everything else I am 8.5C or can even do 9B on 201 last.

I picked up the Hannover in 7.5F. They are awesome boots!

Length seems ok, may be a tad long. However they are wide on my feet and there is a lot of room to fill in the forefoot/toe box. With insoles and thicker socks they are acceptable. I would like to try 7F, but I am not sure I want to deal with shipping back to UK.

My 2 cent, FWIW

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No experience with C&J, but lots of experience with AE ( I know you have AEs :) )

I am US 8.5C with low volume, low arch, low instep feet.
I wear 8D in 65 last. Everything else I am 8.5C or can even do 9B on 201 last.

I picked up the Hannover in 7.5F. They are awesome boots!

Length seems ok, may be a tad long. However they are wide on my feet and there is a lot of room to fill in the forefoot/toe box. With insoles and thicker socks they are acceptable. I would like to try 7F, but I am not sure I want to deal with shipping back to UK.

My 2 cent, FWIW

Very much appreciate your 2 cents.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you be able to provide a measurement for the heel to toe length of the sole, as well as the width at the widest part of the forefoot? I'm thinking the 7.5F is probably what I would go with, but this may help clarify that.

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads