• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I always wear double cuffs with a jacket so they are staying as are the shoes so that leaves the suit itself.

As regards colour for the suit I don't like blue with brown and brown is too matchy so maybe a lighter grey would be more suited?

I also thought tweed and brogueing were a good match?

Tweed is a casual material and you have three formal things going on here -- French cuff shirt, oxfords, and the color charcoal. If you want to keep the formal elements, then you'd be better off with a more formal suiting, but then prob have to ask where are you going to wear this formal suit and its formal accompaniments.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
Tweed is a casual material and you have three formal things going on here -- French cuff shirt, oxfords, and the color charcoal. If you want to keep the formal elements, then you'd be better off with a more formal suiting, but then prob have to ask where are you going to wear this formal suit and its formal accompaniments.

True.

When you put it that way I see the error of my ways - let's scrap the charcoal. Though would the brogueing and medallion not lower the formality on the oxfords somewhat?

As this is my first venture I want to make sure I have at least have a vague idea as to what goes and what doesn't without putting all the reliance on my tailor and missing out on the fun part of the process.

So for the thread hijack and thanks to all who have commented.
cheers.gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As this is my first venture I want to make sure I have at least have a vague idea as to what goes and what doesn't without putting all the reliance on my tailor and missing out on the fun part of the process.

Yes, but it's pretty far down the list of considerations.

I think it's best to think of these things as whole looks though, not just details that you like -- the color charcoal, the broguing in a shoe, the fabric tweed, the detailing of a French cuff, etc. Think of classic looks you like and try to get something that jives with that. Or think about the environment you'll be in and find clothes that work for that environment. Otherwise, you'll just have a mish mash of things you happen to like, but don't actually go together.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coccinella/Minnis 0656 suit arrived yesterday. Incredible result given zero fittings (they made the suit off measurements taken for my previous commission, with some slight modifications suggested via email).

There is one minor issue which I will have addressed by my local alterations guy. Then I will post fit pics.

Jim Chu

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this, and someone else may have already covered this, but Simon Crompton of Permanent Style has a world-wide trunk show calendar on his website. It contains dates, places and - drum roll please - prices! It also has a link for making making appointments. Here's the link https://www.permanentstyle.com/trunkshows/2016-09/.

If the link doesn't work, under his home page, just click on the "Trunk Show" tab on the far right.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A small update on my bespoke peacoat. Today, I had my second fitting, and I have to say that I think it's coming along nicely. The coat will be taken in slightly at the waist, the half-belt will be widened, the sleeves will have hidden buttons and large turn-ups, and in total the coat front will have ten buttons. Other than that I think we're almost there – as my tailor confessed "I've had quite a few customers eyeing this one, so I've saved the pattern" :)

The collar features a lot of very tight hand stitches so it rolls like :slayer:

Last edited:

jhunterprice

Reaction score
What bespoke tailor(s) have you used or heard about in DC? I'm desperate to find someone talented in the area!

I have some of DieWorkWear's suiting that I'm anxious to use and wouldn't mind trying someone local, provided some of the folks here have had good experiences with a DC tailor.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Field English Custom Tailors - I've not had anything made by him, but his alterations work (some of it very complex) was fantastic.

He'll set you back around $4000 for a bespoke two piece suit

I take all/all of my high end suits to Field for alterations, some of them complex, as McFox noted. But I've not [yet?] commissioned a bespoke suit with him. He can get a broad range of fabrics, knows them well, does impeccable work and is trained well. Personable, and a real class act. I highly recommend him.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have not seen any of his work. Curious, at the very least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads