• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kid1002

Reaction score
Tried on this jacket of someone's at a sartoria yesterday. Beautiful navy blue and great stripe width IMO, but the cloth quality was questionable.

I had heard good things about this Explorer bunch from Standeven, so I was surprised to see the cloth puckering this apparently after a few wear from its owner.

Apparently this particular cloth from the bunch can react badly to drastic changes between hot-and-cold, thus not being friendly to ironing and pressing when making the garment. Not sure if you guys can see it, but in reality it was almost seersucker-like.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh snap Frank's got you dialed in. The high vents are wild. I would never have agreed to such a thing before but now that I see it, this is pure sex; all of mine seem too small now. What's the fabric again?
Fox Air Walnut :cheers:

Now I can't wear jackets with vents that are less than 12 inches ?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20200825-112157-HDR.jpg

Finally got the Magee tweed samples in for my belted Balmacaan.

Initially I was leaning towards the lightest herringbone swatch, but I do find the dark green/navy very striking in person with so much colour variation.

The salt and pepper donegal swatch is one I'm heavily leaning towards though.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
20200825-112157-HDR.jpg

Finally got the Magee tweed samples in for my belted Balmacaan.

Initially I was leaning towards the lightest herringbone swatch, but I do find the dark green/navy very striking in person with so much colour variation.

The salt and pepper donegal swatch is one I'm heavily leaning towards though.

1. Unless you are more slenderly built, I'd consider staying away from the belted balmacaan if I were you. If you aren't slenderly built, it might look good in the front, but it will likely look not so great in profile or from the back. I also think a good non-belted balmacaan looks better regardless of build. Unfortunately, the style is hard to get right. I have a belted and a non-belted balmacaan (and a balmacaan raincoat, but that is arguably different) and I much prefer the non-belted one. If you do go with the belted version, make sure the belt is very long. You can get a more expressive knot this way.

2. I think large scale herringbones and donegals work well for balmacaans and overcoats in general. I really like the herringbone in the middle on the bottom. I think I would like the donegal a bit more if it were a bit bigger in scale.

3. I think with balmacaans it is really important to get a very heavy cloth and one with a little stiffness and volume to it. Part of the attraction with a balmacaan is that you have all this unstructured fabric hanging from your shoulders a chest. The fabric can ripple in a really relaxed looking way (especially if you have your hands in your pockets), but you don't want those ripples to be too small (more like cordovan and less like calfskin if that makes sense). A heavier and stiffer fabric will produce better ripples. I think you can also get a slightly better A-ish-line with a heavier and stiffer fabric.

Here are some pictures of good balmacaans.

Kenji Kaga Balmacaan 1
Kenji Kaga Balmacaan 2
PS Cordings Balmacaan

Here is one that I think is less good. I think the design elements are less ideal--the collar in particular--but I also think the fabric hangs in a less ideal way (even though it is slightly heavier than the Cordings one above).

PS Balmacaan

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Unless you are more slenderly built, I'd consider staying away from the belted balmacaan if I were you. If you aren't slenderly built, it might look good in the front, but it will likely look not so great in profile or from the back. I also think a good non-belted balmacaan looks better regardless of build. Unfortunately, the style is hard to get right. I have a belted and a non-belted balmacaan (and a balmacaan raincoat, but that is arguably different) and I much prefer the non-belted one. If you do go with the belted version, make sure the belt is very long. You can get a more expressive knot this way.

2. I think large scale herringbones and donegals work well for balmacaans and overcoats in general. I really like the herringbone in the middle on the bottom. I think I would like the donegal a bit more if it were a bit bigger in scale.

3. I think with balmacaans it is really important to get a very heavy cloth and one with a little stiffness and volume to it. Part of the attraction with a balmacaan is that you have all this unstructured fabric hanging from your shoulders a chest. The fabric can ripple in a really relaxed looking way (especially if you have your hands in your pockets), but you don't want those ripples to be too small (more like cordovan and less like calfskin if that makes sense). A heavier and stiffer fabric will produce better ripples. I think you can also get a slightly better A-ish-line with a heavier and stiffer fabric.

Here are some pictures of good balmacaans.

Kenji Kaga Balmacaan 1
Kenji Kaga Balmacaan 2
PS Cordings Balmacaan

Here is one that I think is less good. I think the design elements are less ideal--the collar in particular--but I also think the fabric hangs in a less ideal way (even though it is slightly heavier than the Cordings one above).

PS Balmacaan
1-Yeah I'm fairly thin I'd say. Will keep long belt in mind. I may not even use the belt as a "waist tightening" tool and go for a relatively less roomy fit. I just like the aesthetic of a belt and it divides the body nicely.

2-The herringbone you pointed out is the one that is really catching my eye.

3-Most of these cloths are in the 20-22oz range. I wanted something super heavyweight, but realized I run fairly hot, despite our cold winters. I also bought 1m of melton wool to line the upper back for wind resistance. Others mentioned it may make the coat "catch" on fabrics, so I was thinking of making it a removable liner with buttons.

I'm actually 100% avoiding A-line silhouette, I've never liked it.

I want a more straight silhouette and an overall fit like this

THE-RAKE-PHANTOM-THREAD-01-.jpg

As for design details, I was thinking of copying this coat

72786491_140911857262988_1627583641845240055_n.jpg

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
1-Yeah I'm fairly thin I'd say. Will keep long belt in mind. I may not even use the belt as a "waist tightening" tool and go for a relatively less roomy fit. I just like the aesthetic of a belt and it divides the body nicely.

2-The herringbone you pointed out is the one that is really catching my eye.

3-Most of these cloths are in the 20-22oz range. I wanted something super heavyweight, but realized I run fairly hot, despite our cold winters. I also bought 1m of melton wool to line the upper back for wind resistance. Others mentioned it may make the coat "catch" on fabrics, so I was thinking of making it a removable liner with buttons.

I'm actually 100% avoiding A-line silhouette, I've never liked it.

I want a more straight silhouette and an overall fit like this

THE-RAKE-PHANTOM-THREAD-01-.jpg

As for design details, I was thinking of copying this coat

72786491_140911857262988_1627583641845240055_n.jpg

I like the cloth and overall fit on the DDL one. The cloths hangs really nicely and looks sufficiently slouchy and cozy. I am not as keen on the lapel-like collar or on the patch pockets.

With regards to the whole belted thing, I find that the belt can emphasize the posterior in an unflattering way and that the silhouette can end up looking rather feminine overall (though some might not mind this), so if you have a larger posterior, just keep that in mind.

One of my balmacaans is lined in cotton: it is technically reversible, though the cotton in the sleeves is impractical. I think it helps the cloth hang in a more appealing way without adding too much warmth. Might be something worth considering.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cloth and overall fit on the DDL one. The cloths hangs really nicely and looks sufficiently slouchy and cozy. I am not as keen on the lapel-like collar or on the patch pockets.

With regards to the whole belted thing, I find that the belt can emphasize the posterior in an unflattering way and that the silhouette can end up looking rather feminine overall (though some might not mind this), so if you have a larger posterior, just keep that in mind.

One of my balmacaans is lined in cotton: it is technically reversible, though the cotton in the sleeves is impractical. I think it helps the cloth hang in a more appealing way without adding too much warmth. Might be something worth considering.
I was doing some research and apparently that cloth was beefy as hell at 30+oz, so I doubt my cloth would hang nearly as nice.

Oof, I've a giant bum for my frame. Ah well, I'll deal with it, even if it emphasizes it.

My tailor initially mentioned lining the coat with cotton, so that's 2 votes for that option.

Edit: Oh yeah, not going with patch pockets or lapel collar on the DDL coat, I just like the silhouette and shape.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of single-breasted topcoats buttoned up. To me, it just looks like you're wrapped in a bolt of cloth. I think this is especially true for a very straight silhouette.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I was doing some research and apparently that cloth was beefy as hell at 30+oz, so I doubt my cloth would hang nearly as nice.

Oof, I've a giant bum for my frame. Ah well, I'll deal with it, even if it emphasizes it.

My tailor initially mentioned lining the coat with cotton, so that's 2 votes for that option.

Edit: Oh yeah, not going with patch pockets or lapel collar on the DDL coat, I just like the silhouette and shape.

PS Belted Posterior

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good enough for me. The cheeky look on Simon's face made it even better.
Personally not a fan of single-breasted topcoats buttoned up. To me, it just looks like you're wrapped in a bolt of cloth. I think this is especially true for a very straight silhouette.
Basically a big reason why I'm also going for the belt, to bisect the body in half and add some visual interest.

I can always wear the coat open with no belt, but having the belt as an option is great.

Also why I'm not going with a fly front either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads